Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Tripods BBC Series 1 in Region 2!

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

The Tripods BBC Series 1 in Region 2!

Old 03-15-01, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just in case anybody missed the announcement (I know I did!), the fantastic BBC series THE TRIPODS is coming to DVD on 3/19:

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000061511

This (along with DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS) is one of my favorite BBC shows. I just ordered my copy... thank God for APEX players!
Old 03-15-01, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read the books quite a few times back in elementary school -- how does the series compare -- does it stick to the story pretty well? Does it look relatively realistic -- ie. not too fake. Also, I know "When the Tripods arrived" or whatever it was called was actually written after the main trilogy -- did that ever make it onto the screen to show what happened when they first came to Earth?

just wondering.
thanks,
Tuan Jim
Old 03-16-01, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Keep in mind that I haven't seen this show in a year or two (and my old VHS tapes of it are pretty damn fuzzy)...

The show does follow the books very closely, especially Series 1 which covers the first book The White Mountains. They made a few strange changes to Series 2 (based on The City of Gold and Lead), but it still follows the book fairly closely and retains the spirit of the novels. I don't think any fans of the books series would be disappointed in the TV series.

The performances are all great which I imagine would be difficult when you are dealing with actors this young. Production values are similar to Dr. Who standards... there aren't many FX required for Series 1 (except for the obvious tripods), but Series 2 requires a lot more (spoiler)
Spoiler:
because it takes place inside the alien city

The bad news... and this has been a controversy since the show first aired in the 1980s: The BBC cancelled plans to do Series 3. So, the show ends with a cliffhanger and they never filmed the final novel The Pool of Fire. The prequel novel, When the Tripods Came, was never filmed.

Anyway, I've found a couple of really good sites that go into much more detail than I ever could, so enjoy:

http://www.gnelson.demon.co.uk/Tripods.html
http://www.voicenet.com/~swyss/tripods.html
Old 03-16-01, 12:45 PM

Can anyone confirm these are Region 2? I just saw a couple of sites stating that the company that put them out (Second Sight?) had declared they were actually Region 0. I've been awaiting these for a LONG time.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 03-16-01, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...erm... even if they are Region 0, they would still be PAL!...

. . .
Old 03-30-01, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/reviews/ot...SeriesOne.html