Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DDDHouse Weekly Cheap Sale (HK movies) - Part III

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

DDDHouse Weekly Cheap Sale (HK movies) - Part III

Old 05-08-01, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grimfarrow

Consider this: how many of Wong Kar-Wai movies were hits? Pretty much none of them. His films are too obtuse for most Hong Kong people's enjoyment, and as such there will be low demand for the DVDs of his films. And DVD companies, knowing they won't sell many copies anyway, probably did not care to make the transfer of Wong's films as good as can be. Their thinking is probably this: Why spend so much time and money to make a good DVD of a film that won't sell?

Demand for WKW movies are extremely high outside of Hong Kong (god knows why). If the demand wasn't high, his DVDs would be selling for $40HK. Trust me, he's creating the aura...
Old 05-08-01, 07:32 PM
gm
Cool New Member

Is it just me, or was In the Mood for Love, which has gotten rave reviews here, not very good? It's very well filmed but there is like no story and the dialogue is bland. A most boring film. Are all this films like that? I heard he was really good but Mood for Love doesn't give me that impression.

Old 05-08-01, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gm
Is it just me, or was In the Mood for Love, which has gotten rave reviews here, not very good? It's very well filmed but there is like no story and the dialogue is bland. A most boring film. Are all this films like that? I heard he was really good but Mood for Love doesn't give me that impression.

It's an acquired taste. All of his movies are the artsy-fartsy type and is not meant for mainstream audiences. As mentioned above, not a single movie of his has ever achieved box office success in Hong Kong. It's generally believed that his movies probably are more popular with Western audiences.
Old 05-09-01, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by gm
Its just a matter of taste- some people like storytelling that relys on more visuals and little dialouge or exposition, and no explosions. That doesnt make him a bad film maker, just one you arent in tune with. You just dont like his style, thats all.
Old 05-09-01, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yellowhammer, Just wanted to say thanks for your post a few weeks back about some deals at YesAsia.com . I think that thread got lost in the forum shift. I managed to get almost all the titles you listed. The Hong Kong copies of Jackie Chan's My Stunts and Miracles, as well as The Mission and Bullets Over Summer, all at $9.99 each was a great deal. I think that must have been a temporary misprice, because their prices normally seem pretty high. They did honor all the deals, and have excellent customer service.
Old 05-09-01, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

YH: I got you beat. Sent HK Saturday, Kentucky to Denver to Oakland on Sunday, Arrival MONDAY MORNING before I went to work!!!

They must get a discount on express shipping!

Originally posted by Yellow Hammer
Gotta give it up for DDDHouse. Ordered a bunch of DVDs (30 of them) last Wednesday (04/25). The order was held up until Saturday so that the DVD As Tears Go By could come in the same package, and it arrived this morning (4/30) in California via UPS Global Express. (I chose the more expensive of the two shipping options to North America). Foam padding everywhere, looked to be UPS-packed.

Interesting - looking at the tracking it went from HK to Louisville, KY, then to Denver, then to California....
Old 05-09-01, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by axolotls return
YH: We tied!. Sent HK Saturday, Kentucky to Denver to Oakland on Sunday, Arrival MONDAY MORNING before I went to work!!!

I guess our packs were passengers on the same plane!

Originally posted by Yellow Hammer
Gotta give it up for DDDHouse. Ordered a bunch of DVDs (30 of them) last Wednesday (04/25). The order was held up until Saturday so that the DVD As Tears Go By could come in the same package, and it arrived this morning (4/30) in California via UPS Global Express. (I chose the more expensive of the two shipping options to North America). Foam padding everywhere, looked to be UPS-packed.

Interesting - looking at the tracking it went from HK to Louisville, KY, then to Denver, then to California....
Old 05-10-01, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dvd2001
Yellowhammer, Just wanted to say thanks for your post a few weeks back about some deals at YesAsia.com . I think that thread got lost in the forum shift. I managed to get almost all the titles you listed. The Hong Kong copies of Jackie Chan's My Stunts and Miracles, as well as The Mission and Bullets Over Summer, all at $9.99 each was a great deal. I think that must have been a temporary misprice, because their prices normally seem pretty high. They did honor all the deals, and have excellent customer service.
my pleasure...wow, good for you! I also managed to pick up Bullets Over Summer, Robotrix, plus a CD to put me over $30, which I was then able to apply a $5 off coupon as well. And then in the ultimate display of frugality, I bypassed shipping costs by picking up the package at their headquarters in downtown San Francisco, by getting on a train using the free public transportation pass that my company provided me which I had never used before. (San Jose to SF is a long drive, gas is over $2 a gallon and parking in downtown is expensive).

Yeah I noticed that Miracles was back to $41 or so.
Old 05-10-01, 02:27 PM

But, when you look at the Jet Li' DVD's, and see that most of them cost $8 to $13 US, I call that a good deal, whether it's "On Sale" or not. Only his OUATIC titles are in the $26 range.
Those HK OUATIC titles are well over $30 in the US.

But, the Columbia/Tristar ones sell for $19.95, and (at least in the case of #1 - I haven't checked the others) are uncut and have subtitles and original audio.

So, why would anyone spend more for the HK pressing of the Once Upon A Time In China titles?

By the way, anyone know of a particular good site for buying US-only HK DVDs, like the Shaw Brothers films? So far, I haven't found anything cheaper than DVDPlanet, but I was hoping that there was a US HK DVD site that had those sorts of title at significant discounts.
Old 05-21-01, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the new weekly sale items have been posted.

Also DVD prices have been reduced just today (5/21) on a number of very good titles, many to the $5US level:

All prices $40HK except where noted:

CYF titles -
All About Ah Long
Flaming Brothers
Prison on Fire
Prison on Fire 2
The Killer ($83HK)

Jet Li/Bruce Lee titles -
The Big Boss ($83HK)
Dr. Wai Scripture with No Words ($63HK)
Enter The Dragon ($83HK)
Game of Death ($83HK)
Way of the Dragon ($83HK)

Stephen Chow titles
Hail the Judge
Love On Delivery

Other popular titles
Big Bullet
Century of the Dragon
Eastern Condors
A Fighter's Blues ($78, DTS is $105)
Hot War
He's a Woman, She's a Man
Lifeline
The Longest Nite
My Name is Nobody
Shanghai Grand
Young and Dangerous 3
Young and Dangerous 5
Drunken Master 3
Born To Be King ($63HK)

Old 05-21-01, 01:28 PM

OUATIC HK vs CTS

after doing a lot of research on these films, it seems that the US version original soundtrack is only slightly better than the HK, but is mono, as opposed to the 5.1 DD HK. The video is the same - or worse, depending on which review I read. The HK film has some extras (like a booklet) that you won't get in the US. But the US has a good commentary - but only with the horribly dubbed US cut version - which, unfoturnately, seems to have a significantly better video transfer!!

Reviewers who had both the US and HK discs seemed torn. But the Columbia version seems to be the favorite. I have cancelled my orders and am waiting until I hear more.

Old 05-21-01, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by gm
Film isn't only about narration - if you want story, you can easily rent a book instead. In the Mood for Love is a film that can *only* work in the film medium - it can never exist as a book or any type of narrative structure. For one, there isn't much of a story, and that is completely intentional. What the film exudes, instead, is mood, symbolism, and the perfect recreation of Hong Kong's atmosphere in the 1960s. It is a perfect nostalgia piece. Moreover, it reveals the changes within social mores from the early 60s to the end.

The film is very non-linear and requires a lot of rumination and retrospection in order to make sense of the social, political, and emotional content of the film. For example, why such a focus on the red slippers? What do they symbolize? And the scene in which Mrs. Chan smokes Mr. Chow's cigarettes - what does it suggest in terms of their relationship? And the scenes involving Cambodia's Prince Sihanouk - why are they included? What is the significance of the newsreel?

You won't get any enjoyment out of the film if you do not think about it afterwards. The film isn't The Mummy Returns, where no thinking is involved.
Old 05-21-01, 11:37 PM

solution for shopping cart problem!!!

I don't know if anyone else has posted this yet, but the trick to getting items to stay in your shopping cart is to enter the web address with http://www. in front:

http://www.dddhouse.com = shopping cart works (regardless of browser)

dddhouse.com = site loads up, but you'll have no luck ordering...
Old 05-22-01, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: solution for shopping cart problem!!!

Originally posted by no_creativity
I don't know if anyone else has posted this yet, but the trick to getting items to stay in your shopping cart is to enter the web address with http://www. in front:

http://www.dddhouse.com = shopping cart works (regardless of browser)

dddhouse.com = site loads up, but you'll have no luck ordering...

I attempted to recreate this with IE 5.5 and was unsuccessful (stuff did stay in the shopping cart). But you are right in regards to Netscape 4.7. Sounds like the mystery is solved somewhat!

EDIT - actually I did reproduce the error using IE 5.5

[Edited by Yellow Hammer on 05-21-01 at 11:32 PM]
Old 05-29-01, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

new weekly titles are in for this week. My Father Is A Hero is back.
Old 05-29-01, 09:37 PM

Also on the DDDHouse cheap list for you Loletta/Loretta/Rachel Lee fans is "Crazy Love", a silly little romantic comedy starring one of the loveliest HK actresses of all. Of course if you are a fan of her you already have this DVD. It's really pretty innocent for a Cat III, despite the erotic scenes and Loletta's penchant to undress anytime anyplace anywhere for no reason. And there is a funny sequence with "Big Sillyhead" Shing Fui On. Definitely one of my favorite HK films in this genre, if only for the lead actress, and much better than "Girls Unbutton." If only Chingmy Yau had made Crazy Love II I'd be in heaven.

I have the Mei Ah version which is rated Cat III and supposedly out of print. DDD has the Wide Sight version with a different cover and gives it a IIB rating as a triad film. No way! Poker gives the Wide Sight a Cat III and the 77 minute time is the same for both. Only difference in the 2 descriptions is that the Mei Ah is letterboxed and has a short multiangle section (which I haven't been able to get to work) but no matter. The Mei Ah has speckling but the color is nice and Loletta is a delight to the eyes. Maybe someone else has seen the Wide Sight?

Old 05-30-01, 11:25 AM

JamesBrian,
what does cat III and rate IIB means? Never heard of this before.
Old 05-30-01, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by bolepa
JamesBrian,
It is just the HK equivelent of our ratings system-

Category I = G rating, suitable for children
Category II = PG/PG-13, suitable for older children and adults, may contain mild violence, but never graphic gore or nudity
CatergoryIII = like an R rating, 99% of the time usually due to nudity and violence, but on rare occasions soley because of language.
Old 05-30-01, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by iaido
Originally posted by bolepa
JamesBrian,
It is just the HK equivelent of our ratings system-

Category I = G rating, suitable for children
Category II = PG/PG-13, suitable for older children and adults, may contain mild violence, but never graphic gore or nudity
CatergoryIII = like an R rating, 99% of the time usually due to nudity and violence, but on rare occasions soley because of language.
I would say that in many cases Cat IIB is more like R and Cat III is Hard-R. However, an HK movie like Cageman is rated as Category III not because of violence or nudity, but because of other societal reasons. Also, there unofficially is a Category IV, which is pretty much equivalent to X and sometimes XXX.
Old 06-05-01, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the new weekly items for the week of 6/4 have been posted. Can't say I've ever seen any of them...
Old 06-05-01, 01:40 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

you mean you never saw 'Girlz in the Hood' b4? dude movie
rocked hehe
Old 06-05-01, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow... Time and Tide for $23.22... I was hoping to find it cheaper than that.
Old 06-05-01, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by khieng
Wow... Time and Tide for $23.22... I was hoping to find it cheaper than that.
R3 DVDs from American studios are generally going to be pretty expensive. This is the same price as CTHD R3.
Old 06-13-01, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

new Weekly cheap sale items have been posted. The Bride With the White Hair 2 is on the list. Speaking of which, congrats to Brigitte Lin, she just had her 2nd child 3 days ago, at the spanking young age of 46. Also, Queen of Gamble is on the list for the first time, another offshoot of the God of Gamblers series.
Old 06-13-01, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Queen of Gamble

Anyone know if there is a different release of this? I've been looking to include this with my God of Gamblers series but this DVD looks pretty barebone and I'm not sure how good the transfer is.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.