Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Can someone help with PAL for a US resident?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Can someone help with PAL for a US resident?

Old 02-17-01, 05:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I'm in the US and want to purchase several PAL discs. I know I can hack my player to be region-free, but does that mean it will also be able to play PAL discs? Also, is there a good, cheap way to get a NTSC to PAL converter? I just checked around quickly on hotbot and the cheapest I saw was around $250, which is a little high for my tastes. All help is appreciated. Thanks!

josh
Old 02-17-01, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My old Apex (with the loophole menu) handles the PAL/NTSC conversion quite nicely, no extra hardware required. There's a Sampo 620 DVD player that does the same plus has multi-region ability. Someone mentioned http://www.discounts-n-deals.com as a good place to order it from although I have no personal experience with them.
Old 02-18-01, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Check your player? Does it output PAL / NTSC or only NTSC?
Old 02-19-01, 12:26 AM

Yes as it is said...theregion code and the player system are two different thing ...

for example here in frane you can buy a classical region 2 coded DVD player..but it can play pal and ntsc files..cause for example the Japan is in region 2 but the DVD are NTSC, if i don't make a mistake....

So your player will probably not have problems with playing PAL or NTSC discs ....there is only the region code problem left....

hope i don't make mistakes and it helped...

Bye.
Old 02-19-01, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I may have your question wrong. Are you asking if your player because it is region hacked, can play PAL and NTSC?
Old 02-20-01, 11:34 AM
Banned

I was asking whether I would be able to play PAL discs automatically if I have a region hackable player. I'm assuming the answer is no. Therefore, I'm probably about to sell my player and pick up the Sampo one. Any info on how good the Sampo/Apex ones are? It's a second player, so it won't get the most use for DVDs, but I want something that will play all overseas stuff and last.

josh
Old 02-20-01, 04:06 PM

come on perhaps i wasn't clear enough...

Yes as it is said...the region code and the player system are two different thing ...

You player is certainly compatible to Pal system...for example mine is ok with NTSC disc ....even if it wasn't hacked and it was bought in france.....japaneese R2 are NTSC ....

So you're player will certainly play PAL disc well, if there is no problem with the region code...

Look at the information of your dvd player and it will say that it is NTSC and Pal system compliant...

Bye.

Old 02-20-01, 10:45 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info. Was only posting that as a follow-up to FHRX's question. I think I'm going to go for the Sampo in any case.

josh
Old 03-07-01, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I just figured resurrecting this thread would be more useful than starting a new one:

I have a toshiba dvd-rom running cinemaster dvd software. I downloaded a couple of programs including dvd-genie, so I'm virtually 100% positive I'll be able to play other region dvds (as soon as my Japanese Mad Max box set arrives we'll get to test my theory).

At any rate, my real question is regarding the diff between NTSC and PAL again. I remember experiences in Indonesia and the Philippines where we had to buy a tv (and a vcr as well, but that was easier to find) that was multi-system compatible in order to play both PAL and NTSC (and i seem to recall there being a few variations within both). Is that still an issue, or are all tv's generally built multi-region now? I'm assuming my vga monitor won't have any problems switching between PAL and NTSC. I just remember all the hassles we had trying to watch Brit comedy videos on different tv's in my dorm in the Philippines. I think we had one old British tv that worked, but nothing else (or something like that) and hooking everything up was a pain in the butt.

Any info on this would be appreciated. I believe Oz is PAL as well, though I could be mistaken.

I'm mostly asking regarding the future, when I decide to purchase a tv and standalone dvd player.

any info is appreciated.
thanks
Tuan Jim
Old 03-08-01, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tuan Jim: Basically, what you need to play DVDs from all 'Regions' is a 'code-free' or 'all-Region' player.

Ok you have one, now you can play DVDs from all over. Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

Naaahhh!!! Think again!

You also need a 'multi-norm' TV, one that will let you watch NTSC and PAL programming. These are fairly common in Europe but I understand that, in the USA, they are rare as hens' teeth.

If your TV isn't 'multi-norm' you may or may not see a picture when you play, say, a Region 2/Europe PAL DVD or a Region 3/Hong Kong NTSC DVD - but if you do get a picture it may be black-and-white only, depending on which 'norm' your TV was made for.

If you project your DVDs onto a screen, then the above does not apply... I think...

If you watch them on your computer screen, then the above does not apply either - provided you have loaded the right 'program' on your computer... I think...

Life's a bitch!

http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/multime...region_map.jpg

http://www.high-techproductions.com/pal,ntsc.htm

http://www.mindlogic.com/Prod_MSDVD.shtml

! !

[Edited by Hendrik on 03-08-01 at 01:45 AM]
Old 03-08-01, 05:33 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Hendrik
You also need a 'multi-norm' TV, one that will let you watch NTSC and PAL programming. These are fairly common in Europe but I understand that, in the USA, they are rare as hens' teeth.
Depends. Maybe the DVD-player itself converts from PAL to NTSC. In that case you don't need a multi-norm television.
Old 03-08-01, 02:52 PM

just to say that very few..perhaps even any ...DVD player convert PAL to NTSC...

a lot converts NTSC to Pal 60 Hz ....but not in the other way...as far as i know....

Old 03-08-01, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are DVD players that can play both PAL and NTSC, but I've never seen one that actually does the conversion.

You can buy a converter at Radio Shack though, for about $40 if I remember right. Just tell the guy you want to convert PAL to NTSC and they should be able to get what you need.
Old 03-08-01, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1). Buy a DVD Rom drive that is 5x or slower (easy to region hack), or be brave and hack a newer drive to be region free.

2). Purchase a Hollywood+ DVD decoder card.

From what I've read (I haven't done this, so if someone out there has please comment), you can get the decoder card to do the conversion from PAL to NTSC, and it does a very good job.

Or you can find one of the players listed above using the chipset that will convert PAL discs to NTSC (or NTSC TO PAL). I have the Apex, and be warned--this is not a perfect conversion.

I have a Sony front projector that will actually display a real PAL signal, so I don't have to go to these extremes myself.
Old 03-08-01, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by renaldow
There are DVD players that can play both PAL and NTSC, but I've never seen one that actually does the conversion.

You can buy a converter at Radio Shack though, for about $40 if I remember right. Just tell the guy you want to convert PAL to NTSC and they should be able to get what you need.
Just for the heck of it I tried calling my local Radio Shack. They said they had nothing that does that. Then I called a high-end video store who told me that no one in Milwaukee sells them and that the closest place is Chicago.
Old 03-09-01, 12:07 AM

Hello,

I picked up a Sampo DVE 620 player a few months ago as a backup player. The main reason I purchased it is that the machine will convert PAL to NTSC, and has a loop hole menu that allows the region to be changed. I have ordered a number of Region 2 DVDs (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Danger Man, The Saint, The Prisoner Box Set), and watched them successfully. The Sampo players are built around DVD-ROM drives. In order to sell them in as many markets as possible, the player can do NTSC and PAL video. There is a built in loophole menu that allows the manufacturer to set the region for each player to the region in which the player will be sold. Of course, a few enterprising individuals poked around in the software and found the hidden code... (the menu for region switching even says "You shouldn't be here" at the bottom!). The player can also handle MP3s, VCDs, SVCDs, and MiniDVDs. It has composite, S-video, and component video outs. Older players (built 9/00 or earlier) stutter very infrequently during playback, but more recent versions (10/00 or better) have a different drive that works well. Older ones can be fixed by replacing the drive with an RPC1 DVD-ROM drive.

The Sampo sells for between $130 and $200 US, depending on where you look. The DVE-660 is nearly identical, but also has DTS output. For the price you pay, the feature set cannot be matched.

[Edited by DavidK on 03-08-01 at 09:09 PM]
Old 03-09-01, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gotdvd?
Just for the heck of it I tried calling my local Radio Shack. They said they had nothing that does that. Then I called a high-end video store who told me that no one in Milwaukee sells them and that the closest place is Chicago.
The guy you talked to is an idiot. Radio Shack should always offer to order you something they don't have in stock. They have converters right on their website:

http://www.radioshack.com/category.a...2%5F000&Page=1

Make sure you get the whole link. Or, look under video converters.

RS is kind of expensive, so if they have to order anything, do a search on the web and you'll probably find a few places that sell the converters at cheaper prices.
Old 03-09-01, 03:27 PM

I don't know how true this is, but I've been told that if your player can output RGB and you can stuff this signal into the TV, then PAL/NTSC is not an issue anymore.

I don't know about the sound in that situation though, but if you have an amp then there should be no problem.

If the player & TV support RGB it may be worthwhile getting a cheap PAL disc to test before you commit to standards converters.
Old 03-11-01, 01:20 PM

The two $60 converters (EVC-1500 and 1550) in the Radio Shack on-line catalog are for converting FROM NTSC, not to. The bi-directional converter (EVC 1575) is $250. (Ouch!)

But it has been my experience that most DVD players will at least convert and output the signal to the system in use in the country of purchase. I have the very inexpensive APEX 500 and it has a "system" button on the remote that toggles among three positions: NTSC, PAL, and Automatic. No matter what the system the disc is, it will be converted to NTSC in the NTSC position or to PAL in the PAL position. If the button is in the Automatic position it will output the picture in whatever system the disc is. That is how I find out whether it is an NTSC or PAL disc!!!

It is frustrating for us Americans to go to Europe and see that ALL VCR's--even the cheap ones--will play NTSC on a PAL TV, when we know that nobody makes a similar machine for the U.S. market to let us play PAL on an NTSC set (unless we buy expensive converting machines like I have.) It is also frustrating for us to see all the 16x9 sets that are on display in every store even in almost every small village and hamlet, but it is almost impossible to see any even in the largest U.S. cities--certainly none that are affordable.

But while I am at it, before I rush out for a Sampo DVE 620, does anybody know a multi-region hack for the APEX 500?

MikeB
Old 03-11-01, 08:12 PM

Right...here it is:All DVD players will output NTSC and PAL
(provided you are region free).The only question is whether your TV can handle both formats.Most american TVs won't,virtually every other country in the worlds' will.
Projectors need to be multi system too,just like TVs.
This only relates to the picture...the audio will be identical as everyone uses the same decoding.
So buying a new player won't help,but if you don't want to shell out on new TV,you'll probably need one of those abovementioned Radio Shack converters.Good luck.
Old 03-12-01, 03:32 PM

Well, you can run to your circuit city store for example and get a Apex 660 or a 703. They are not region free when you buy them, but if you have a CD burner you can just burn an update and upgrade the player (see http://www.nerd-out.com and go to the forum section for more info). Also, both the apex dvd players can play PAL movies on NTSC TV's (and vice-versa, of course). I have use both model and i would recomend the 660. Simple, efficient (the faster player i have ever seen when going through the dvd interface). It plays MP3, CR-R, CD-RW... and you don't even need to open them and make the upgrade (for the 703, you might need to open it since there is 2 different version and you need to know wich version of player you have to upgrade it right)

I hoppe this help choosing the right DVD player

Cheers

Old 03-12-01, 03:35 PM

for MikeB

MikeB

unfortunately, there is no hack for the Apex 500 and will never be, only the 500a, 660, 703 and 700 are "software" upgradable... the 800 is waiting to be cracked but hopefully, it will be available one day.

Cheers
Old 03-12-01, 10:42 PM

Thanks! As it turns out I do have the 500A. I had not realized until going thru all the web sites and bulletin boards how significant that suffix letter was! I'll be working on doing that "upgrade" soon. I was lucky to have bought the right machine. I was just looking for an inexpensive starter machine that could also play the VCDs I had bought in Asia, and was impressed with the fact that this machine had two sets of RCA outs for such little money.

I had no idea till I was using the machine and pressed the remote button named "system" that it would play PAL in NTSC or NTSC in PAL. The manual didn't explain this feature, although I immediately recognized what it was doing because I have been using multi-system converting tape machines for many years.

Because this "el cheapo" machine could do this, I had thought that this feature must have been part of the minimum system standards of the DVD rulebook, but looking around now shows me that maybe I was REAL LUCKY to stumble into that feature!

While in England in January I picked up a copy of the Feb. "BBC Music" magazine which in the U.K. only came with a free DVD in addition to the usual CD. The DVD is an All-Region PAL, so I will use it as my test disc in stores to see what other machines can play it onto a regular NTSC TV. I also have some PAL VCDs that would also be interesting test discs.

Mike B
Old 03-14-01, 06:17 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Peter.R
I don't know how true this is, but I've been told that if your player can output RGB and you can stuff this signal into the TV, then PAL/NTSC is not an issue anymore.

I don't know about the sound in that situation though, but if you have an amp then there should be no problem.

If the player & TV support RGB it may be worthwhile getting a cheap PAL disc to test before you commit to standards converters.

I believe this is true.
Old 03-14-01, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Peter.R
> I've been told that if your player can output RGB and
> you can stuff this signal into the TV, then PAL/NTSC
> is not an issue anymore.

That is true only as far as the color is concerned, but that would probably not take care of the difference in frame rate. On my Toshiba multi-system monitor there is a button which can change the frame rate independently of the color system, and it is labelled "DISC". The instructions discussed something about using it to play a PAL laser disc on an NTSC-only player and vice-versa. I don't yet have a laser disc player where that monitor is, but I just got some extra players and will be bringing one there to try it out. Apparently the laser disc players output the picture lines in an unbroken steady stream and it is up to the monitor to put them into frames. I don't know if the DVD works that same way.

> If the player & TV support RGB it may be worthwhile
> getting a cheap PAL disc to test before you commit
> to standards converters.

You ought to try both an all-regions code-free PAL disc as well as a Region 2 PAL disc. Check thru the .co.uk web sites--they usually will tell you if it is Region 2 or all-regions PAL. My unhacked Apex 500A plays code-free PAL discs perfectly in NTSC and apparently can play NTSC discs into PAL by using the system button. I also have no trouble playing code-free PAL discs on my computer.

Mike B