DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   OldBoy (Arrow SE) --> 8.26.19 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/648249-oldboy-arrow-se-8-26-19-a.html)

OldBoy 07-28-19 05:48 PM

OldBoy (Arrow SE) --> 8.26.19

I don't care if this forum is dead. this deserves it's own thread and i deserve to start it! ;)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....JL._SX342_.jpg

Product Description

BLU-RAY TWO-DISC SPECIAL EDITION: OLDBOY + OLD DAYS

Often cited as one of the best films of the 2000s and possibly the definitive example of extreme Asian cinema, Oldboy is a brutal, lyrical modern classic of the revenge genre.

Based on the Japanese manga of the same name, the film tells the horrific tale of Oh Dae-su (Choi Min-sik), a businessman who is inexplicably kidnapped and imprisoned in a grim hotel room-like cell for 15 years, without knowing his captor or the reason for his incarceration. Eventually released, he learns of his wife s murder and embarks on a quest for revenge whilst also striking up a romance with a young, attractive sushi chef, Mi-do (Kang Hye-jung). He eventually finds his tormentor, but their final encounter will yield yet more unimaginable horrors...

Directed with immense flair by Park Chan-wook (The Handmaiden) as the second instalment of his Vengeance Trilogy, Oldboy blazed a trail at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival where it was lauded by the President of the Jury, director Quentin Tarantino. The film went on to become a huge international smash, blowing audiences minds with its concoction of filmmaking virtuosity, ingenious plotting, violence and pathos. Now, this masterpiece has been newly mastered in 4K and is presented here in a two-disc set with a wide array of extras, including the feature-length documentary Old Days.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
Brand new 4K restoration from the original camera negative supervised by director Park Chan-wook
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and 2.0 stereo
Original Korean and English soundtracks
Music and effects track
Newly translated, optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
Newly translated English subtitles for the Korean soundtrack
Audio commentary with director Park Chan-wook
Audio commentary with Park Chan-wook and cinematographer Jung Jung-hoon
Audio commentary with Park Chan-wook, and actors Choi Min-sik, Yu Ji-tae, Kang Hye-jung
Audio commentary by Film critic Shin Hyung-chul
Audio commentary by Film critic Kim Young-jin
Old Days: An Oldboy Story, acclaimed feature-length 2016 documentary about Park Chan-wook's masterpiece
New introduction to the film by director Park Chan-wook
Film Critics on Oldboy, featurette with Oh Dong-jin, Lee Dong-jin, Darcy Paquet and Chris Fujiwara
Filmmakers on Oldboy, featurette with Directors Kim Jee-woon and Ryoo Seung-wan
Photographer of Time, an interview with stills photographer Han Se-jun
Autobiography of Oldboy, a three-and-a-half-hour video diary of the making of Oldboy
Deleted scenes with optional director commentary
Behind the scenes featurettes
Extensive cast and crew interviews
The Making of Oldboy, lengthy two-part featurette on the film s production
Le Grand Prix at Cannes, featurette about the film s success at the 2004 film festival
Bring My Love music video by Starsailor, using clips of the film
Trailers, teasers and TV spots
Image gallery
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Justin Erickson
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Fully illustrated collectors booklet with full credits and with new writing by Simon Abrams

OldBoy 07-29-19 10:08 PM

Re: OldBoy (Arrow SE) --> 8.26.19

Anyone love this as much as me and getting this release?

OldBoy 07-30-19 07:05 PM

I’m just gonna keep posting till someone replies...

X 07-30-19 10:19 PM

No.

Adam Tyner 07-31-19 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13585384)
I don't care if this forum is dead.

Awww, that's not very nice. The best way to get conversation going is to post, after all!

(presumably from this same 4K master) coming on November 22nd. UHD BD isn't region coded, so there are no barriers to importing.

Google Translate tells me the extras are:
  • Exclusively in the limited edition SteelBook with the main movie and bonus disc
  • Making-of
  • Video diary
  • Interviews with Cast & Crew: Park Chan-wook; Tsuchiya Garon; Choi Min-sik; Yoo Ji-tae; Kang Hye-jeong; Yoon Jin-seo; Chi Dae-han; Kim Byeong-ok; Oh Dal-su; Lee Seung-jin; Oh Kwang-rok
  • Featurette: Visiting the Cannes Film Festival
  • Discarded and alternative scenes
  • Music video "Star Sailor
  • Bring my love "
  • original trailer
  • Teaser trailer
  • TV spot
  • German trailer

OldBoy 07-31-19 10:32 PM

I actually really just meant this particular section. I mean I see threads I started years ago still on 1st page :lol:

OldBoy 08-08-19 08:24 PM

...and delayed. About a month :(

OldBoy 10-02-19 05:38 PM

few more days baby!!!!

OldBoy 10-05-19 08:30 AM

it has shipped! #excited

JoeySeven 10-05-19 05:23 PM

Did you ordered theOldboy Limited Edition set?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...88d637431e.png

I'm a little confuse about this Arrow release.
They announced The VENGEANCE TRILOGY
after this Oldboy LE set for a Release Date: 9 Dec. 2019

Oldboy LE set is the one to own,but it is now OOP and sold out. As I almost sure they added the other two movies plus it has book and more special features?
Or something they lost the rights too.

OldBoy 10-05-19 07:33 PM

Nah. I didn’t go all out. Just the 2 disc Arrow SE with docu Old Days. I don’t need the trinkets or other movies as I have the original Vengeance Trilogy release which has has my preferred fade to black version of Lady Vengeance. It’s blue. I think US, but not so sure...

OldBoy 10-05-19 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by JoeySeven (Post 13619049)
Did you ordered theOldboy Limited Edition set?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...88d637431e.png

I'm a little confuse about this Arrow release.
They announced The VENGEANCE TRILOGY
after this Oldboy LE set for a Release Date: 9 Dec. 2019

Oldboy LE set is the one to own,but it is now OOP and sold out. As I almost sure they added the other two movies plus it has book and more special features?
Or something they lost the rights too.

i think this new set is just the one movie, but restored. I don’t see how OOP version is best to own...

JoeySeven 10-06-19 01:47 AM

Oldboy is also one of my favorite movies.
I also own the original Vengeance Trilogy ,almost sure it is the usa release.

I did not order either one from Arrow. Maybe if Arrow USA releases the set I'll buy it.

Looks like the LE comes with a book and a poster. Not sure what the retail price was and like you I usually do not care for all the extras.
But I kind of wish I heard about the Oldboy LE sooner. That book is something I might like owning.

Unboxing! Best Arrow Video Set Ever?? LOL

have not watched all of it .. yet

Here is a image of set coming out in Dec.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...0d39809ff2.jpg

JoeySeven 10-06-19 01:59 AM

Anyone love this as much as me and getting this release?
I love it ,but maybe not as much as you . username "Oldboy" :D

I might buy the UK TRILOGY if Arrow has no plans to release it in the states.

Why So Blu? 10-06-19 10:43 AM

I have that OOP set on the way from Amazon UK.

OldBoy 10-06-19 05:05 PM

Nice. I just can’t wait to see this again and see those extras, especially docu Old Days. Hope it gets here by weekend...

asianxcore 10-09-19 10:20 AM

Is the set being released in December going to have Keep Cases for all of the films?

OldBoy 10-09-19 06:29 PM

Maybe not keepcases, maybe just digibooks like other sets, which isn’t necessarily bad, unless you hate digibooks. But with the size of the box pictured I would say keepcases.

OldBoy 10-09-19 07:21 PM

I might have only seen this twice. Can’t wait to again, of course, I guess I was just waiting for best version ;)

Brian T 10-11-19 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 13621067)
Is the set being released in December going to have Keep Cases for all of the films?

Keepcases. There's a pic on the Amazon UK listing.

Seems like all the same disc content, including the doc, and minus the cardboard packaging, poster nobody ever hangs, etc. Would've been cool if they reproduced the excellent source graphic novel that came with the old US DVD tin set. Would've looked nice slipped into either of these cases.

OldBoy 10-11-19 04:01 PM

Either way, this is such a great trilogy. Sometimes I even say Lady Vengeance is my favorite, but then I slap myself many times. But it really is great. Especially fade to b/w version, but OldBoy just got me in an instant.

JoeySeven 10-12-19 02:14 AM

I found a copy of the LE set and said it shipped a few days ago for about $40.
The price has already jumped. Do not buy many LE sets,but I like this one + in comes with the other two movies.
Now Arrow does not list how many of the LE sets they make.

OldBoy 10-12-19 04:07 PM

Thought I’d get today bc Sat has been notorious international package day with USPS in my area, but alas...

OldBoy 10-16-19 08:13 PM

my beloved prize has arrived...

https://i.imgur.com/wUUUCBz.jpg

JoeySeven 10-17-19 03:35 AM

Nice and enjoy. Can not wait to watch again.

That looks like a steelbook or some kind of slip cover in the picture .