International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

OldBoy (Arrow SE) --> 8.26.19

Old 10-17-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: OldBoy (Arrow SE) --> 8.26.19

Mine should be here today.
Old 10-17-19, 12:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by JoeySeven View Post
Nice and enjoy. Can not wait to watch again.

That looks like a steelbook or some kind of slip cover in the picture .
just a regular sturdy slip. it's really a very nice, compact set. i hope i can get to this soon, but i got to be in some sort of state of mind to see this again. i mean it is fucked up, but in such a good way...

these are actually the SteelBook™s i found from some country way back. i keep the Vengeance Trilogy discs in them. might do whole series in order, even though doesn't really matter...

Old 10-18-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nice to see the original Korean movie poster (the main one, anyway) on the flipside of the sleeve. I don't mind the new artwork at all, but I'd flip it in a heartbeat, same as I do for all of Arrow's Japanese releases (here's hoping they broaden their Korean offerings). Korean movie poster design is an art form unto itself, frequently utilizing intricately production-designed (and boldy staged) in-camera tableaux that are as dramatic as the films themselves, and thankfully devoid of the plainly obvious Photoshopping and reliance upon floating heads that plagues so much poster design around the world. I've got many Korean DVDs with featurettes detailing the labor-intensive production of the poster imagery, something I've almost never seen anywhere else.
Old 10-18-19, 06:26 PM

i think the opposite side is cheesy and looks more like an American photoshop cover art job. definitely prefer the more iconic look with Oh dae-su and the hammer...
Old 10-24-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My limited edition set finally fucking arrived!
Old 10-24-19, 07:50 PM

Enjoy the series brother. It’s truly a wild fucking ride!
Old 10-25-19, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
i think the opposite side is cheesy and looks more like an American photoshop cover art job. definitely prefer the more iconic look with Oh dae-su and the hammer...
This is interesting because the "new" art actually IS the Photoshop job, and a major one that evidently uses Adobe Illustrator effects as well (funny how people rarely call these new artworks "Illustrator jobs", come to think of it). It also uses a central image that's become iconic because of its ubiquity on home video releases, and mostly in the west. Despite all that, I still think it's a nice piece of work. I just get tired of boutique labels thinking they have to commission new artwork for every re-issue these days, but as long as they retain the originals (and thus the work of the painters, designers and/or photographers who worked on them), it's all good. I'm glad Arrow gives buyers a choice and preserves the original marketing campaigns regardless of what anyone thinks of them (the original poster art for nearly all of their vintage Japanese releases beats the do-overs hands down). The Korean OLDBOY image on the reverse is from a photography session done for the film, with few adjustments beyond the overlaying the text. If an American company used it, they'd probably add a hand-holding 'flourish' like a slash of red filter over the hero's side of the image to spell out how angry he gets in the film.

Last edited by Brian T; 10-25-19 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-25-19, 10:40 PM

It’s not a re-issue though. It’s new transfer and new extras.
Old 11-09-19, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Enjoy the series brother. It’s truly a wild fucking ride!
Yeah it is .. major spoiler about the ending I just realized after watching for a third time.

Spoiler:

Now I'm not sure if
Spoiler:
Oh Dae-Su was truly hypnotize after reading this on reddit.
so does his memories still with him??

shit the movie has 4 Audio commentary .I'll have to play one of the commentary next time to see what I missed.
The one with the director and actors might be the best one to try first.

• Audio commentary with director Park Chan-wook
• Audio commentary with Park Chan-wook and cinematographer Jung Jung-hoon
• Audio commentary with Park Chan-wook, and actors Choi Min-sik, Yu Ji-tae, Kang Hye-jung
• New audio commentary with critic Jasper Sharp and writer Simon Wardnow,so

I saw the movie twice, pretty far apart, and both times I interpreted the very end, with the footsteps in the snow and Oh Dae-Su's strange smile, to mean that his memories hadn't actually been erased, but that he was choosing to behave as if they had.

The hypnotist tells him that he will split into 2 parts, man and monster, and that the monster will walk away from the man and age a year with every step. When he's found, he's lying in the snow several steps from the folding chair and as I recall, he looks older (might just be the snow). I always interpreted that as: the man is gone, all that's left is the monster.

I do think they would be better off not knowing (I just don't think that's the ultimate result), although there is something sick about the audience knowing what we know and allowing the relationship to continue, just by witnessing it.

also my two orders from amazon.com both canceled.
but it came back in stock for about $42 from amazon fulfillment.so maybe 3rd is a charm or strike 3.