Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Good Sony Blu-ray player that does WiFi streaming and region free and 3D?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 02-09-19, 08:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Was looking at this one...
Amazon Amazon

Anyone have luck with this one, something similar, but really want it to be Sony, 3D, all regions, WiFi, but that’s not entirely necessary?
Old 02-11-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts
Re: Good Sony Blu-ray player that does WiFi streaming and region free and 3D?

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Was looking at this one...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075VC8HL7...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Anyone have luck with this one, something similar, but really want it to be Sony, 3D, all regions, WiFi, but that’s not entirely necessary?

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M0UC4K2/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M0UC4K2/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-11-19, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
has the audio output? what does it encode? don't see much difference to one i linked, but didn't see audio outputs for yours. what does converting 2D DVD's to 3D mean exactly? i don't see how that is possible and how does it look?
Old 02-11-19, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

has the audio output? what does it encode? don't see much difference to one i linked, but didn't see audio outputs for yours. what does converting 2D DVD's to 3D mean exactly? i don't see how that is possible and how does it look?
The video/audio is through HDMI. It's not connected to the internet and all of my region locked imports have always looked and sounded great. I don't have a 3-D television, so can't comment on that type of playback. I can also watch region locked DVDs on it without any problems.
Old 02-11-19, 09:12 PM

The video/audio is through HDMI. It's not connected to the internet and all of my region locked imports have always looked and sounded great. I don't have a 3-D television, so can't comment on that type of playback. I can also watch region locked DVDs on it without any problems.
How’s the apps? Numerous. The one I linked has a lot. Really want Plex. Is that an app on player?

What are some good region locked blus that you can’t get here, that I would like?
Old 02-11-19, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How’s the apps? Numerous. The one I linked has a lot. Really want Plex. Is that an app on player?

What are some good region locked blus that you can’t get here, that I would like?
I don't know anything about the apps it has. I don't have it connected to the internet, so that would defeat the purpose of it. It's strictly my region-free machine.

That second question is a toss up. There are tons.
Old 02-11-19, 11:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Blu, how do you like yours?

Oldboy, since you bought the one you linked, let us know what you think of it and how it plays. I’m in the market for one.
Old 02-11-19, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit

Oldboy, since you bought the one you linked, let us know what you think of it and how it plays. I’m in the market for one.
I love my player. It was the one I replaced my Momitsu-799 model, when that one tanked. It was a great price when I bought it from Amazon.
Old 02-12-19, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by E Unit

Will do. Probably try it out this weekend...
Old 02-13-19, 10:40 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I love my player. It was the one I replaced my Momitsu-799 model, when that one tanked. It was a great price when I bought it from Amazon.
Awesome, thanks.
Old 02-13-19, 08:40 PM

So one of the features of this player is that it can convert a 2D image to 3D. How’s that work and does it remotely look like a real blu 3D even post-converted? You still use active or passive 3D glasses?
Old 02-15-19, 08:00 AM

Ok, so I got this new player. Plays it all thus far. Great tiny machine. But, the audio won’t come on when my tv is set to my audio system. Will only play sound when set to tv speakers. I looked for a setting in Blu-ray player but couldn’t find anything that would do it. Other was just fine. There must be something I’m missing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-19, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, so I got this new player. Plays it all thus far. Great tiny machine. But, the audio won’t come on when my tv is set to my audio system. Will only play sound when set to tv speakers. I looked for a setting in Blu-ray player but couldn’t find anything that would do it. Other was just fine. There must be something I’m missing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You connect via an HDMI cable, so you're using an audio receiver, right? If so, you have to assign an input to that player. Once that gets assigned the video and audio (HDMI carries both signals) should come through. If you're only getting a video signal and no sound - I guess you have to make sure your speaker cables are properly connected. I know the player doesn't come with an HDMI cable, so you have one of those, right? What brand/model is your audio receiver?
Old 02-15-19, 11:53 AM

You connect via an HDMI cable, so you're using an audio receiver, right? If so, you have to assign an input to that player. Once that gets assigned the video and audio (HDMI carries both signals) should come through. If you're only getting a video signal and no sound - I guess you have to make sure your speaker cables are properly connected. I know the player doesn't come with an HDMI cable, so you have one of those, right? What brand/model is your audio receiver?
It did come with an hdmi cable, but I just used previous players that’s already connected to tv. And it’s the same input as other so it populated in that same input spot automatically. And the sound comes through, but only when tv speakers are checked. Not home so don’t remember brand of receiver, but it should have worked same as old, no? Thanks Blu.
Old 02-15-19, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It did come with an hdmi cable, but I just used previous players that’s already connected to tv. And it’s the same input as other so it populated in that same input spot automatically. And the sound comes through, but only when tv speakers are checked. Not home so don’t remember brand of receiver, but it should have worked same as old, no? Thanks Blu.
Yeah, in theory. I guess you may want to go into your audio receiver's settings on the off chance you need reassign the HDMI input again. Also, try using the HDMI cable that came with the player. There may also be incompatibility issues (with the old cable) depending on what HDMI cable model # you're using - like 1.2 or 1.3, etc. Also, make sure your player is not connected to the internet at all.
Old 02-15-19, 05:00 PM

Yeah, in theory. I guess you may want to go into your audio receiver's settings on the off chance you need reassign the HDMI input again. Also, try using the HDMI cable that came with the player. There may also be incompatibility issues (with the old cable) depending on what HDMI cable model # you're using - like 1.2 or 1.3, etc. Also, make sure your player is not connected to the internet at all.
wait, why can't it be connected? i use Vudu, Netflix, etc. using it...
Old 02-15-19, 05:11 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

wait, why can't it be connected? i use Vudu, Netflix, etc. using it...
The player you have was modded in some way to become region free, the base Sony model is not. The risk if you connect to the internet is that the firmware could change possibly negating your region free feature. I see some advertisements that say it's safe, but ya never know. I would at a minimum turn of automatic updates (if that's possible).
Old 02-15-19, 05:33 PM

modded by who? this is an original Sony product from Amazon.

but, i guess it was a clitch in the Matrix last night bc everything seems fine now. audio, visual all look great.

but, is there anyway to get the Plex app on this or it just doesn't have it? there is no search and wasn't in list of apps i could download...
Old 02-15-19, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

It was modded by whoever the Amazon seller was- Sony would never intentionally make a region-free player themselves.

The 2D-to-3D conversion 'feature' is the visual equivalent of the fake-stereo modes for mono sound tracks on sound systems.
Old 02-15-19, 08:48 PM

Really? I know it was 3rd party fulfilled by Amazon, but there was absolutely no mention that it was modded. Or that is wasn’t completely new direct from Sony...
Old 02-15-19, 08:50 PM

A region free booted immediately. I figured if modded I would have to seen something, input code or whatever. Even reviews made no mention it was modded...

Last edited by OldBoy; 02-15-19 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-15-19, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You won't see anything when the firmware is updated without you knowing about it if the updates are set on automatic. Your region locked discs will just cease to stop playing. My player is strictly a region locked playing machine - it will never ever be connected to the internet. My PS4 is my main hub and that's what I play my region A material on. Technically, all region free players are "modded."
Old 02-16-19, 12:50 AM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

Really? I know it was 3rd party fulfilled by Amazon, but there was absolutely no mention that it was modded. Or that is wasn’t completely new direct from Sony...
Swipe to the 2nd picture in your Amazon link. It mentions the HD-mod.

Now go look at the same model from Best Buy. It’s $100 cheaper. You payed that for the mod.
Old 02-16-19, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by The Cow
Swipe to the 2nd picture in your Amazon link. It mentions the HD-mod.

Now go look at the same model from Best Buy. It’s $100 cheaper. You payed that for the mod.
wow. i had no idea. i probably wouldn't have gotten it then there, but it looked so factory perfect. had no idea...
Old 02-17-19, 04:19 PM

need help. please. i pop in a region A disc and error message says will only play Region B. wtf? do i have to do something to player? i only tried region free till today. thought it would play everything out of the box...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.