DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   DDDHouse Status (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/641967-dddhouse-status.html)

ytrez 10-31-17 06:28 AM

DDDHouse Status

After many years I've replaced my region-free player and am thinking of picking up some missing or uncut Jackie Chan films from DDDHouse. Back in the day there were problems with customs fees when buying from them. Anyone know if this is still the case?

E Unit 10-31-17 12:24 PM

Re: DDDHouse Status

None that I know of. I've been buying from them for years, mostly Donnie Yen titles and quite a few others as well. As bad as their website is, I've never had any customer service or shipping problems with them. And even when I first started buying from them maybe 6-7 years ago, I never had any customs issues with my packages.

ytrez 11-01-17 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13194939)
None that I know of. I've been buying from them for years, mostly Donnie Yen titles and quite a few others as well. As bad as their website is, I've never had any customer service or shipping problems with them. And even when I first started buying from them maybe 6-7 years ago, I never had any customs issues with my packages.

Thanks, E Unit!

Alan Smithee 11-01-17 04:06 PM

Recently got the 3D Blu-Ray of Smurfs Lost Village from them, was a bit expensive but no more than what was stated up front.

Norm de Plume 11-01-17 04:17 PM

Ha, I remember DDDH. I never ordered from them. Instead, I ordered some HK titles from another HK-based vendor called av-something-or-other. Anyone remember that one? I think it's gone.

E Unit 11-01-17 06:15 PM

Never heard of that one, but on one order years ago, I started communicating with the guy processing my order, and he gave me some good tips on some more obscure movies I really liked. When I went to HK a few years later, I asked them if they had a store, but they don't. I'm guessing it's a small shop or warehouse operation.

Norm de Plume 11-02-17 12:25 AM

As I recall, the one I'm thinking of was the main HK competitor to DDDHouse at the time (roughly 15 years ago).

Why So Blu? 11-06-17 11:31 AM

Used to order from DDD House and YEsAsia for a few Asian import releases. Haven't done so in quite a while.

Norm de Plume 11-06-17 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume (Post 13196053)
Ha, I remember DDDH. I never ordered from them. Instead, I ordered some HK titles from another HK-based vendor called av-something-or-other. Anyone remember that one? I think it's gone.

I was thinking of Hivizone, and apparently it's still around.

mrhan 11-08-17 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13196160)
Never heard of that one, but on one order years ago, I started communicating with the guy processing my order, and he gave me some good tips on some more obscure movies I really liked. When I went to HK a few years later, I asked them if they had a store, but they don't. I'm guessing it's a small shop or warehouse operation.

I'm thinking it's a one man operation. I've communicated with some guy named Sze for years now. I remember when they use to send packages by registered mail and I always had to sign for them but they changed it since. I would always miss the mail carrier 'cause no one was ever home and I had to go to the P.O. to sign for the package.

mrhan 11-08-17 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume (Post 13196053)

I know what what your thinking of but I can't recall the name, either. I remember getting the Cars steelbook from them. They also carried R2 discs. I think they had "CD" in the name.

logboy 11-08-17 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 13201125)
I know what what your thinking of but I can't recall the name, either. I remember getting the Cars steelbook from them. They also carried R2 discs. I think they had "CD" in the name.

probably CDWOW, which was HK based and did stock a lot of HK discs quite cheaply ... they're now WOWHD, owned by the same company as deep discount, import CDs - watch out of sales of labels at any of their subsidiary sites for decent deals that include free worldwide shipping - otherwise, they're a nightmare for price fluctuations and usually best to stay away from pre-orders until prices have settled after release.

mrhan 11-08-17 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by logboy (Post 13201142)
probably CDWOW, which was HK based and did stock a lot of HK discs quite cheaply ... they're now WOWHD, owned by the same company as deep discount, import CDs - watch out of sales of labels at any of their subsidiary sites for decent deals that include free worldwide shipping - otherwise, they're a nightmare for price fluctuations and usually best to stay away from pre-orders until prices have settled after release.

Yup. That's the site I was thinking of. I thought they went under. I remember they did have good prices when they first started out.

logboy 11-08-17 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 13201167)
Yup. That's the site I was thinking of. I thought they went under. I remember they did have good prices when they first started out.

essentially scuppered by UK law changes that closed loopholes on channel islands shipping operations that bypassed VAT laws. HK-owned, UK-operated - i could pick up HK discs for £6 - £8 all in at one time, which was great. WOWHD is currently one of the few usable sources for USA discs for UK folk - if you learn the tricks of how it's prices fluctuate, as i mention - and is CDWOW under it's later name and with new ownership.

mrhan 11-08-17 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by logboy (Post 13201169)
essentially scuppered by UK law changes that closed loopholes on channel islands shipping operations that bypassed VAT laws. HK-owned, UK-operated - i could pick up HK discs for £6 - £8 all in at one time, which was great. WOWHD is currently one of the few usable sources for USA discs for UK folk - if you learn the tricks of how it's prices fluctuate, as i mention - and is CDWOW under it's later name and with new ownership.

Yeah, the VAT adds up. I remember going to Virgin @ Picadilly Circus and they're literary ripping you off. Amazon.UK isn't that bad since they remove VAT from foreign orders.

E Unit 11-08-17 10:49 AM

Ha, I remember going to that Virgin store at Picadilly a few years ago. It was a brief visit.

Norm de Plume 11-08-17 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan (Post 13201125)

I answered my own question in post #9.;)

Brian T 11-09-17 09:53 AM

Reading these posts got me thinking about all the different -- and often overpriced -- resources for Hong Kong and Asian physical media that fell by the wayside over the years: Poker Industries, CDJapan, Sensasian, HKFlix. Hivizone's site seems pretty anemic these days, and no movies, so they're basically a write-off. DVDShelf became Buyoyo which is very much still in business, but I've always found ordering from them to be a bit confusing. I've had log-in issues with DDD lately, on multiple devices; otherwise I'd place a couple of orders.

coyoteblue 11-10-17 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Brian T (Post 13201954)
Reading these posts got me thinking about all the different -- and often overpriced -- resources for Hong Kong and Asian physical media that fell by the wayside over the years: Poker Industries, CDJapan, Sensasian, HKFlix. Hivizone's site seems pretty anemic these days, and no movies, so they're basically a write-off. DVDShelf became Buyoyo which is very much still in business, but I've always found ordering from them to be a bit confusing. I've had log-in issues with DDD lately, on multiple devices; otherwise I'd place a couple of orders.

I haven't thought about some of those sites in a while. These day's I usually end up at buyoyo or Yesasia, though I did trip over MovieSuper a few days ago ('Oh yeah, I remember this place...'. I've used them a few times with no problems. For Taiwanese discs I've used JSDvd Mall.