DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Why are Blu-Rays in Hong Kong so expensive? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/605793-why-blu-rays-hong-kong-so-expensive.html)

DJariya 10-19-12 10:36 PM

Why are Blu-Rays in Hong Kong so expensive?

Prime example:

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_d...roductID=13172

This new HK action movie called "The Silent War"

The BD is $21.54

Here's another example:

"The Flowers of War" starring Christian Bale. You can buy the BD right now at Best Buy or Amazon for $17.99

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_d...2&LanguageID=0

It costs $27.56 in Hong Kong

I've been to HK about 7 times. I last went about 2 years. A friend asked me to buy him "One Upon a Time in China" on BD over there thinking it would be cheaper. I recall paying about $25 for it at some local DVD shop.

Any ideas? The prices are horrible for BD's over there, but you can find some deals on DVDs if you know where to look.

flixtime 10-20-12 11:51 AM

While you await a more informed opinion, I'll offer some guesswork. I suspect Blu-ray (and High Definition home viewing) doesn't have enough market penetration in Hong Kong, thus to be profitable in a small market the prices have to be higher. When we are talking Hong Kong/China and Southeast Asia, we are talking areas where VCDs are still considered a satisfactory viewing option for a measurable portion of the market. And I suspect piracy/illegal downloading is also a major challenge when it comes to home video in Asia.

Also, I think the pricing seems even worse because Hong Kong (and a lot of Asian genre fare) - by the time it comes here - tends to debut on U.S. Blu-ray at a very attractive pricepoint (as compared to other foreign cinema). As an example the U.S. pre-order for WU DANG coming in December is currently available at a 53% discount price of $14.06, whereas the just-released Hong Kong Blu is at least $18. Similarly, the South Korean war film MY WAY was recently released on U.S. Blu-ray at a heavily discounted price of around $15, while the Korean domestic Blu-ray was more than double that price.

So whatever the correct response to your question is, it seems a safe bet that it'll be based on simple economics.

And, just to mention, though you're likely aware, at dddhouse there is a "Blu-ray Cheap Sale" option on the left side of the homepage...sometimes you can come across a decent price on an older release that might not be available in the U.S.

And offtopic (big surprise eh), but I'd like to take this opportunity to salute you DJariya. You do a magnificent job with all your work in the TV Talk forum! You're like an Audie Murphy of DVDTalk....you and some of the other folks such as LASERMOVIES, lizard, mcarver, etc. are true DVDTalk heroes for all the continued effort you put in around here.

And lastly, DJariya, I hope you can summon some good karma to keep MAGIC CITY going for four or five years (I'm guessing it might've have struggled in terms of ratings for Season 1 and it seems super expensive to produce)...I just started watching the show and I'm loving it more and more with each episode...and the show seems to have enormous potential.

DJariya 10-20-12 12:33 PM

Re: Why are Blu-Rays in Hong Kong so expensive?

^^ Thanks man. I appreciate the comment.

What you said does make sense in terms of economics. And yes, when I last visited HK about 2 years ago, VCD's are still prevalent in the marketplace. You can easily pick up a new release for around $5 and older titles can be picked up for $1-2.

Autotelik 01-16-13 10:22 PM

My first thought when I read your question is that blu-ray is just not popular enough in HK. It is still all about VCDs and DVDs. And one explanation as to why Blu has not taken over there yet is that very few people have large LCD/LED displays. It is quite common for us to have 50" and larger displays, but few families can fit one of those anywhere in their high-rise apartment in HK. There simply is no room. If you're watching a 30" TV at best, maybe you wouldn't care so much if it is DVD or Blu.

E Unit 01-17-13 09:46 AM

Yet, when I visited HK a couple of years ago, there were several electronics stores that had massive displays, there was even a 108" Panasonic. That was a first. Also a first was seeing a 21x9 screen for the first time there. They may not have a lot of room there, but they're definitely staying ahead in the technology curve.

That was the one drawback abou Blu shopping in HK, a few purchases can run the wallet up real quick. Another one I just thought of is Flying Swords of Dragon Gate. I never saw the HK release of that below $50 for the special edition. Basic release is about $28.

xage 01-17-13 01:17 PM

I disagree on this thread. I frequently go to HK - and for the past 4yrs (range of Blu Ray boom there) I got no issue getting the lowest cost Blu-Rays, LE Blu Rays and 3D Blu (and YES - they are NOT bootlegs all original).

It has nothing to do with geography, TV sizes..

It just a matter of one's personal objective and budget.

Seeing that the thread owner is the same as this thread

Going to Hong Kong next month, any good catalogue BDs I should pick up?

I guess he alone cannot decide and plan on his won. He asks other's opinion (despite having been in HK past 7 times). Its his thing

DJariya 01-17-13 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by xage (Post 11544426)
I disagree on this thread. I frequently go to HK - and for the past 4yrs (range of Blu Ray boom there) I got no issue getting the lowest cost Blu-Rays, LE Blu Rays and 3D Blu (and YES - they are NOT bootlegs all original).

It has nothing to do with geography, TV sizes..

It just a matter of one's personal objective and budget.

Seeing that the thread owner is the same as this thread

Going to Hong Kong next month, any good catalogue BDs I should pick up?

I guess he alone cannot decide and plan on his that he asks other's opinion (despite having been in HK past 7 times)

The point of the other thread was to ask about any good catalogue titles I should pick up. I wasn't asking about prices specifically. If they could be found reasonably, then great.

This thread which I created awhile was to ask why BDs are so expensive over there. Next month will be the 7th time I've been to HK in the last 10 years and for the most part, I pick up DVDs and VCDs. The last time I went to HK in 2010 was the 1st time I saw BDs sold in more places and I saw the prices were really high. I mean I bought Once Upon a Time in China on BD (a movie from 1991) for a friend and IIRC it costed about $25. Kind of pricey for a catalogue title from almost 20 years ago.

A year or two ago, I went to a local DVD shop here in So Cal that specialized in HK DVDs and BDs and bought a copy of Naked Weapon on BD and it cost about $25.