Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Kingdom II/Riget II from Lars Von Trier

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

The Kingdom II/Riget II from Lars Von Trier

Old 02-05-01, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Desperately looking for a copy of The Kingdom II, aka Riget II. It was a Danish mini series from '97 done by Lars Von Trier. I know it's been released on DVD in Asia, and probably other parts of the world. No online retailer I know of has it.

Anyone with a lead on this film can contact me here or by email. It's a gift for my Mom (A Dane) and so finding it would be great!

Old 02-06-01, 07:29 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by renaldow:
HELP! Desperately looking for a copy of The Kingdom II, aka Riget II. It was a Danish mini series from '97 done by Lars Von Trier. I know it's been released on DVD in Asia, and probably other parts of the world. No online retailer I know of has it.

Anyone with a lead on this film can contact me here or by email. It's a gift for my Mom (A Dane) and so finding it would be great!

<HR>

Hope you have better luck than me at locating these at a decent price...I got mine about a month ago off of ebay, from this guy...the transaction went fine, but the price is a bit steep. Anyhow, it's the only place I could find them at the time...
Old 02-07-01, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks like you actually did pretty good if that was all you paid. I ended up finding and ordering both Kingdom & Kingdom II on DVD for more money than I care to mention. It was a little bit more than that guy, but the cheapest I ended up finding anywhere.

If anyone's interested, I got it from Scarecrow Video out of Seattle, WA. ( www.scarecrow.com ) They specialize in hard to find and imports. They also charge you for the privelage, so shop wisely!

------------------
Visit the Not So Comprehensive Asian DVD/VCD Buying Guide!
www.geocities.com/vcd_guide/
Old 02-08-01, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the link...that site's going to come in handy for me, even at those prices.
Old 09-08-02, 08:17 PM

Any news as to if/when this second series will be released in R1 or R2?
Old 09-09-02, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey, this thread's ancient! Doubtful on an R1 release, the 1st one didn't sell well in the US when the VHS was released, even though it has nearly achieved cult status and plays occasionally on a foreign film cable channel from what I hear.

I don't know about an R2 release, but I'd guess it's more likely than an R1 unless someone like Criterion decides to put both out.

Meanwhile, Scarecrow Video in Seattle (www.scarecrow.com) sells both 1 & 2 that are asian imports, R0. These are not bootlegs! Good deal on their ebay auction for both movies on 3 DVD's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1561173065

HKFlix.com used to have them both, but they are out, and the film is OOP on DVD, so probably won't be getting more in.
Old 09-09-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
It has been released by Seville in Canada.
Old 09-09-02, 09:54 PM

The first series has been released by Seville, but not the 2nd. Hopefully they will. Incidentally, Scarecrow's prices are generally a horrific joke, but there price on the Kingdome series is more or less in line with what others are charging.
Old 09-10-02, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Furious
The first series has been released by Seville, but not the 2nd. Hopefully they will. Incidentally, Scarecrow's prices are generally a horrific joke, but there price on the Kingdome series is more or less in line with what others are charging.
Scarecrow's prices are a joke, but that auction for both 1 & 2's a pretty good deal, sitting at $25 right now. That's about 1/5th that I paid for them shortly after this thread was originally posted.
Old 09-11-02, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by renaldow
Good deal on their ebay auction for both movies on 3 DVD's.
Thanks for the pointer, renaldow. Just won this auction for $26 + $7 shipping. Can't wait to watch it.

talespinner
Old 09-11-02, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a chance these versions could be released to R1.
Old 09-11-02, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got the Canadian release of it coming in the mail as I write this. If the subs are better (and I'm assuming they probably will be) I'll dump my asian import of I on Ebay.
Old 09-12-02, 03:46 AM

Renaldow,Let us know if your DVD has the introductions from Lars von Trier before each episode.I'm pretty sure it should,but it'd be nice to get confirmation as I don't think the R3 versions had them.
Cheers!
Old 09-13-02, 12:07 PM
Cool New Member

The Seville (Canadian) release of Pt 1 does have the Lars von Trier appearances. They're not intros - they actually aired at the end of each episode, under (or beside) the credits.
Old 09-13-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by photodrome
The Seville (Canadian) release of Pt 1 does have the Lars von Trier appearances. They're not intros - they actually aired at the end of each episode, under (or beside) the credits.
The asian imports have those as well.
Old 09-23-02, 03:08 PM

I just received the dvds I won on that ebay auction above. How do I tell which is Disc 1 & which is Disc 2 on Kingdom II? The only difference I can see between the two discs is one symbol in a red circle to the right of the title on the front and on the spine. I know someone knows.
Old 09-23-02, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I got the Canadian Kingdom DVD today, and I'm way more impressed with this release than the asian import. Of course I did not watch all 4+ hours of it, but here are my thoughts on it so far:

The audio is a better, it's 'fuller/richer' for lack of a better term. The video seems better, much less artifacting than the import. It's my guess that it's recorded at a higher bitrate.*

The subs also seem much better. The asian import 'engrishes' quite a bit, along with a ton of typos that distract from the film; but this one doesn't seem to. The subs are white text on black background which makes for easier reading compared to the plain white text of the asian import, the letters are larger too.

Lars' end spots during the credit roll are also subbed on this DVD! It was annoying as heck to watch him standing there, spouting off in Danish with no subs on the asian release. I watched a couple of them, and while they all end the same, with him making the hand gestures for good and evil, I was surprised to see that each one was actually unique. Never would've known this without the subs.

*Instead of being a single layered doublesided flipper like the asian disc, this release is a dual layered 2 disc set. Episodes 1-3 on D1, 4-5 on D2. The reason I thought the film was encoded at a higher bit rate is because of this. Disc 1 is the same as Side 1 of the asian, but is dual layered, I assume because of the higher bit rate. I could be wrong, of course.

There are also extras of an interview transcript with Lars and his Dogme manifesto.

If you love this film and have the asian import, I fully reccomend hawking it on Ebay and getting the Seville Canadian release. It's worth it, IMHO.
Old 09-23-02, 03:40 PM

I looked a little closer at the packaging on the Kingdom II discs. One has the product# AVC37229 on it and the other is AVC37230, so I'm assuming that the earlier numbered one is the first disc, right? I popped both in the player and that didn't help. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Thanks,

Jay

ps. Hey renaldow, you wouldn't want to post the subs from Lars' endbits, would you?
Old 09-24-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the 1st disc is the one w/ the more simpler character on it. I don't know how to describe it. I just know I went with that theory and it worked out.

I may post the end subs when I have time, but it probably won't be anytime soon. Too much to do right now.