Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Internation DVD Forum Area May Close

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Internation DVD Forum Area May Close

Old 12-15-00, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks,

The volume in this forum area is really really really low.

We're getting only 2-3 threads per day here. and DVD Bargains posts isn't overflowing anymore so these posts could live there...

Geoff
Old 12-15-00, 07:49 PM
Cool New Member

I'd prefer this forum remained open. My reasons...

The threads here would get lost in DVD bargains. At the moment it's easy to keep track of them.

Most of the posts in here would be off topic in DVD bargains only 1 post in this forum is actually a bargain the rest are queries. That would spread the small but useful amount of information among DVDTalk, DVDBargains and online store forum.

Having an international forum avoids the useless I can't get this bargain so it shouldn't be here discussions that seems to popular with a small minority of American users.

Unless there is a need to close this forum other than it's small volume I'd suggest it stays.
Old 12-15-00, 08:17 PM

I hope you do not close this one down Geoff.

The reason that it is slow in here is that there is very little information worth reading most of the time.

International bargains have dried up.

RIP Express!

If someone had the time to update regularly on international bargains I think that the traffic would increase again. Any takers?

Beejay
Old 12-15-00, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks to customs, we don't even need this thread since all the deals pretty much die after they have you fork over an extra 10$ a dvd just to get it in the country.
Old 12-15-00, 10:10 PM

I find most of the posts would fit in at the online store forum... I do check in here a few times a week but most topics are european in nature, i live in canada and dont get much out of them..

But this forum does seem to work well for the european group. If it doesn't cost anything, i'd keep it.. If it does cost, there is not much point in paying for the few members that use it..
Old 12-16-00, 12:09 PM

Pls don't close it. It's a nice forum to visit when you're looking bargains for us Europeans.

------------------
Silent Watcher of Dark Matter - DVDs
Old 12-16-00, 01:22 PM

When this was suggested a few weeks back, I was totally against the idea, but your right - the volume of posts is nigh on non-existant, so maybe it wont be such a bad idea...
However, merging it with the bargains forums doesn't sound right, as half the posts are Customs this, Customs that or references to on-line stores...Surely they would be out of place in the bargains forum?

------------------
Welshlad
There's no need for you to tell me you think I'm right - We'll just assume that!
Old 12-16-00, 05:03 PM

Hello,

Although I'm in the States, I lurk on this forum to see if there are any good international deals, and to hear discussions of other region discs. I have a region-free player, and this forum is handy for me for that reason. I usually have little to contribute to the discussion, however, as I'm out of the action. I would not be surprised to find that there are a number of people like me who use the forum, but because of our location have little of interest or value to contibure. I can understand closing it if it is a financial drain, but I would miss it.
Old 12-16-00, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

*shrugs* I actually visit this section the most out of any of the dvdtalk sections. It's nice not to have to wade through all the crap in the dvd bargains section. In fact nearly every thread here is meaningful / useful / interesting which is more than can be said for any of the other sections.

Oh well, if this one gets closed I suppose I'll spend more time over at DVDPlaza.

Chris
Old 12-16-00, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As I'm in Tokyo I also read this forum to see if there are any bargains in Tokyo, Australia or other parts of asia. There have been a few interesting posts and it has allowed me to see what and how many australian stores there are. Given the exchange rate sometimes it could be worthwhile to pick up a title or 2 over there.

I agree that this type of information would get lost in the other forums and would be open to complaints from a few vocal people.

Over here the S/N ratio is very high.

Geno

[This message has been edited by geno (edited December 16, 2000).]
Old 12-16-00, 09:43 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by DavidK:
Hello,

Although I'm in the States, I lurk on this forum to see if there are any good international deals, and to hear discussions of other region discs. I have a region-free player, and this forum is handy for me for that reason. I usually have little to contribute to the discussion, however, as I'm out of the action. I would not be surprised to find that there are a number of people like me who use the forum, but because of our location have little of interest or value to contibure. I can understand closing it if it is a financial drain, but I would miss it.
<HR>

Exactly my sentiments (and situation).

And I believe the low volume is a good thing, as I don't have to wade through a bunch of garbage to get to good information. If it doesn't cost, I submit a request that it remain open.
Old 12-16-00, 10:42 PM

Add my vote also to keep this forum open.
We just need more foreigners to participate. Like all the forums there are probably a lot of lurkers waiting to make their first post here
Old 12-17-00, 09:00 AM

We have high shipping costs, a high $-rate, we get hit by customs and now you wanna take away our forum to complain about it?!
Seriously, I like to hear what other non-american dvd-buyers have to tell, so keep this forum, it is the first I go to everyday.
Old 12-17-00, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would like to see this forum remain open. Although I only check it every couple of days, I can go back and see every post that has been entered in the last 2 or 3 days.

It's easy to read them all, and post if necessary.

I also posted a question to this forum about a week or two back and got some VERY useful information a couple of days later. Had that question been posted in the general Bargains forum (and it wasn't a "bargain" type question), it WOULD have gotten lost.

If the forum is costing money, by all means do the sums and close it if necessary, but it really *is* a useful resource and despite it's low volumes one of the reasons I use the site.

From a revenue POV if I come here to look at the international site, I do then continue onto the Bargains and WCF DVDs forum, something I wouldn't necessarily do at the time (so in effect the International forum is generating 3x the advertising revenue it normally would).

Geoff and co, *I* for one would be sad to see it go, and I imagine there are a number of lurkers out there who feel the same.

Cheers,
Jon.
Old 12-17-00, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well if your really have to close it then ew cant stop you, but I really like this forum to remain, we fought for this forum a few months back also, so please guys make your posts count!
Old 12-17-00, 11:06 PM

Geoff

I would hate to see this forum go, but like the other posters have said, if the cost of keeping this forum open is prohibitive, then shut it down, otherwise, I'd like to vote for keeping this forum open.

I think the low post count is really due to the fact that on-line bargains overall have dried up, and increased costs have made it harder for us international DVDers. The Aussie dollar, for example, is worth about 25% less than this time last year, making Region 1 DVDs more expensive for us down under (together with lack of coupons and no more free shipping).

I hope you are able to keep this forum open as it is one of my regular stops at DVDtalk.

Keith
Old 12-18-00, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Even though i'm still overseas, I wouldn't mind if we get rid of this forum. As long as we put something good here to replace it??

------------------
Regards...
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 12-18-00, 02:20 AM

Fellow Internationals,

Please keep this open.

Yours pleadingly,
Lik.
Old 12-18-00, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Please keep this forum open, its nice to know there are other non americans out here.
Old 12-18-00, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I vote to close it down... international bargains can go in the DVD Bargains forum and discussion about specific titles can go in DVDTalk forum.

The last two "international" threads I remember getting into (R2 Citizen Kane, R4 titles better than R1) were both started in the DVDTalk forum. Seems like the perfect place for these occasional non-R1 threads...
Old 12-18-00, 01:10 PM

I can't say that I check out this area all that much because it is slow as Geoff pointed out.

True there are not a lot of Intl Bargains at the moment, however it is not just a bargain thread.

I vote keep it open and hope that we can pump some life into it
Old 12-18-00, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by bboisvert:
I vote to close it down... international bargains can go in the DVD Bargains forum and discussion about specific titles can go in DVDTalk forum.

The last two "international" threads I remember getting into (R2 Citizen Kane, R4 titles better than R1) were both started in the DVDTalk forum. Seems like the perfect place for these occasional non-R1 threads...
<HR>

And if someone starts a thread in a non-english language in one of the "regular" forums, you guys (Americans) will go out of your way to crucify the poster rather than just ignore it.

Just my 2c

Cheers,
Jon.
Old 12-18-00, 03:28 PM

Keep it open.....please.

This forum has been invaluable (particularly the Buy.com posts - thanks Just4Fun) over the last few months. Any International posts in DVD Bargains will just be lost amongst BestBuy, Walmart and Buy.com posts - most of which don't apply to (or aren't economically viable for) us Euro-DVDers.

Foxy

Old 12-18-00, 05:04 PM
Cool New Member

As previously mentioned, this forum is useful to those outside the US of A .

But also, if it is unviable for you to keep this forum going , then it is at your discretion if you want to "kill" it.

Whatever happens, I'll still visit !

Old 12-18-00, 08:20 PM
Registered

As with everything on DVD Talk we always run things up the flag pole before we do anything.....

So if there's enough interest here in keeping the International Forum, I ask that all of you who use this area help spread the word about its existence.

Also you all can help by contributing what info and bargains you find outside of R-1....

Geoff

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.