Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dersu Uzala - Remastered DVD (Akira Kurosawa, 1975) Artificial Eye

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-11, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently, Artificial Eye doesn't want ANYONE to know they re-issued a remastered DVD of "Dersu Uzala". It's not updated on their website, the listing at etailers are just the picture of the old DVD, and indistinguishable as to whether you'd receive the remastered or the old DVD.

http://www.dvdoutsider.co.uk/dvd/rev...zala_2011.html

Screenshots are available there.

Although I might wait until an eventual Kino Blu-ray, but nothing uncertain.
Old 12-27-11, 01:22 PM

Re: Dersu Uzala - Remastered DVD (Akira Kurosawa, 1975) Artificial Eye

I can sort of confirm this -- that is, Artificial Eye wanting to keep the release a secret. I run a fairly popular Akira Kurosawa website (well, the only English one regularly updated), and tried to contact Artificial Eye to learn more about the reissue. They never bothered to reply.

Kino blu-ray? Are they working on one? My understanding is that the original prints are deteriorating and already in a rather poor condition at Mosfilm's vaults in Moscow. Hopefully someone will decide to do something about it before it's too late.
Old 12-28-11, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know if they are working on one, but they have been consistently good on BD releases. So far it's not available in Japan, and if this new Artificial Eye release confirms, there is a good master available.
Old 12-28-11, 09:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vili
I can sort of confirm this -- that is, Artificial Eye wanting to keep the release a secret. I run a fairly popular Akira Kurosawa website (well, the only English one regularly updated), and tried to contact Artificial Eye to learn more about the reissue. They never bothered to reply.

Kino blu-ray? Are they working on one? My understanding is that the original prints are deteriorating and already in a rather poor condition at Mosfilm's vaults in Moscow. Hopefully someone will decide to do something about it before it's too late.
I agree, I hope someone can find a decent looking 65mm print, since it was shot that way, there's no reason why a bluray shouldn't at least be considered since the film was Kurosawa's only film to be released in 70mm