DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Anything worth checking out from Germany/Amazon.de? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/591546-anything-worth-checking-out-germany-amazon-de.html)

cynthia 06-05-11 07:09 PM

Anything worth checking out from Germany/Amazon.de?

I'm placing an order there and want to get the most out of the crazy shipping cost. Any films/tv shows only on DVD in Germany?

CritterYawn 06-05-11 09:01 PM

Re: Anything worth checking out from Germany/Amazon.de?

Varies wildly according to your preferences. I dare not make any suggestion, since every single time I checked Netflix's list of preferences for my zip code, mine were completely off.

GilreathAZ30 06-05-11 10:05 PM

I use amazon

Mammal 06-05-11 11:58 PM

Try www.grooves-inc.com They're Swiss, English-friendly, with cheaper shipping and I've used them successfully.

The original of The Mechanic (Kalter Hauch) is English-friendly too, and will play in "A;" the same company will publish Mr. Majestyk in the near future. The Thirteenth Warrior has forced German subs.

I have the Blu of El Cid too - haven't watched it yet. I have Salvador (locked "B"), Pursuit of The Graf Spee (Panzerschiff Graf Spee) ("B") and The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada too

Preterite 06-06-11 09:40 AM

Here's what's sitting in my Amazon.de basket for a rainy day:

Five Graves to Cairo is a WWII spy thriller by Billy Wilder.

The Female Comedy Teams set that got good reviews here is a German release.

Preterite 06-06-11 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by CritterYawn (Post 10803807)
Varies wildly according to your preferences. I dare not make any suggestion, since every single time I checked Netflix's list of preferences for my zip code, mine were completely off.

Well, thanks for posting! -rolleyes-

dleedlee 06-06-11 04:52 PM

One on my list, Mabel Cheung's documentary of Jackie Chan's family history, Traces of a Dragon

http://www.amazon.de/Traces-Dragon-J.../dp/B0009QSXA4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traces_of_a_Dragon

Frenzy 06-07-11 02:04 AM

Usually German TV shows are horrible but "Im Angesicht des Verbrechens" is quite a gem. It deals with the Russian mob in Berlin and a young German cop with Russian-Jewish roots who has ties with both parties. According to Amazon the German DVDs have English subtitles!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RfCKdprJL.jpg

d2cheer 06-07-11 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mammal (Post 10804048)
Try www.grooves-inc.com They're Swiss, English-friendly, with cheaper shipping and I've used them successfully.

The original of The Mechanic (Kalter Hauch) is English-friendly too, and will play in "A;" the same company will publish Mr. Majestyk in the near future. The Thirteenth Warrior has forced German subs.

I have the Blu of El Cid too - haven't watched it yet. I have Salvador (locked "B"), Pursuit of The Graf Spee (Panzerschiff Graf Spee) ("B") and The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada too

If I am reading this correctly you are stating that the original Mechanic with Bronson will play in A region and Mr. Majestyk will as well? I must know how you know for sure. I really want to purchase them. I am talking about the blu rays listed on Amazon.de. Not the regular DVD's.

Jaymole 06-09-11 03:02 PM

The Edgar Wallace sets are excellent, although around 20% of the films don't have English subtitles.

coyoteblue 06-09-11 04:08 PM

Yes, even with the English sub issues, the Wallace Krimi sets are well worth checking out.

Mammal 06-09-11 06:50 PM

The German disc of The Mechanic is english-friendly, but locked to B.

d2cheer 06-14-11 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mammal (Post 10811016)
The German disc of The Mechanic is english-friendly, but locked to B.

:(

mythmaker18 06-15-11 03:51 PM

There appear to be R2/Spain imports on Amazon.de of the two Milo Manara TV movie series: The Click and Butterscotch, presumably in their original versions (the US releases that came from this series were converted to "stand-alone" movies and retitled).

There's also a Dutch import on there: Da Ali G Show: Da UK Sereez (the complete British TV series episodes that were cut-down for compilation releases in the UK)

Kedrix 03-08-17 08:30 AM

Resurrecting a 6 year old thread, HUZZAH!

I should have probably started a new one. ANYWAY...

Made an order from Amazon.DE recently and on the possibility that somebody wants these titles as well, I figured I post it.

1 Prison Break - The Final Break [Blu-ray] | 7,39 €
1 Fatale Begierde [Blu-ray] | 8,40 €
1 Double Dragon - Classic-Cult-Edition [Blu-ray] |5,86 €

Versandkosten (Shipping) 3,72 €
GESAMT (Total): 25,37 € or $27.88 American.

1. Prison Break Final Break is ridiculous to find stateside at a reasonable price, so I am more than glad to buy the region free version at $8. Furthermore, the size of European cases will go nicely with my 4 seasons I bought from Best Buy recently.

2. Fatale Begierde is Unlawful Entry, a much underappreciated gem staring Kurt Russell and Ray Liotta. First time it's been in Blu-Ray anywhere (only been out about a week), and from everything I've been able to find, it is region free.

3. Finally, Double Dragon, the very 90's movie (to put it nicely) based off the video game with Scott Wolf & Alyssa Milano in its only region free release. I'm a sucker for anything Alyssa (except Public Enemies, go google it).

For $9 and some change per disc including shipping? I don't mind waiting 2-3 weeks at all. Furthermore, that's 2 more dvds I can get rid of or make the blu's into "combo packs". Sold.

Steve 03-09-17 02:03 PM

they have the rec 4 movie set for 30 USD$ shipped...bluray.. not bad

(update: only german subtitles for a spanish speaking movie!! whoops... not for me)

Kedrix 03-28-17 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kedrix (Post 13027218)
1 Prison Break - The Final Break [Blu-ray] | 7,39 €
1 Fatale Begierde [Blu-ray] | 8,40 €
1 Double Dragon - Classic-Cult-Edition [Blu-ray] |5,86 €

Versandkosten (Shipping) 3,72 €
GESAMT (Total): 25,37 € or $27.88 American.

Got it last night, so nearly 3 weeks which is not too bad especially since that's what Amazon said the projected delivery date would be. (Which begs the question...the last two orders, one through Amazon.uk and then Amazon.de were both DEAD on their delivery date. How the heck do they get that right without a tracking #?)

Anyway, little notes on Fatale Begierde (Unlawful Entry) and Double Dragon. Both are region free as reported, and unfortunately neither have English subtitles. (Both have German subtitles which can be switched on and off) Both come in regular US Style thin non-eco cases. (Prison Break was in the European style sized case which fit nicely with my season sets). I didn't get a chance to watch them for longer than a few minutes a piece but Double Dragon looked pretty darn good and had a bevy of extras. I'm not sure I can say the same of Unlawful Entry though...it wasn't bad, but it looked a little rough. Then again, the dvd wasn't great shakes either..so maybe it's the master. Also, for those who care Unlawful Entry had the German title (Fatale Begierde) in the opening credits and on the case, it's in reverse, so it looks weird on the shelf. Double Dragon is an easy pick up based on what I saw if you liked the movie (or like a good trainwreck) but unless you are a die hard Kurt Russell fan (like myself), I'd probably stay away from the German release of Unlawful Entry. Hopefully Kino or Twilight Time pick that one up at some point.

So, at least for the time being I'll keep my dvd copies of those two films too (I've done a combo pack with both of them). Double Dragon for subtitles and Unlawful Entry for subtitles and a director's commentary.

Kedrix 03-30-17 03:48 PM

This one is interesting...

https://www.amazon.de/Hell-comes-Fro...town+mediabook

Hell Comes to Frogtown...now I have fond memories of this ridiculously campy film. To this point, the Blu-ray has only been available in the UK...from Arrow I believe and region locked. Well, in addition to this being a very nice edition, per Wicked Media's Facebook page:

This is REGION FREE. I'll probably opt for the 500 edition, cause it's well 9 cents cheaper and more limited, or something like that.

It's also quite pricey (about $40 USD shipped), but you only live once, right? I dunno, thinking of putting The Net and Charlie's Angels Full Throttle on the order as well which are also Region Free and not available over here (I'm ignoring that Sony BD-R for the Net), put the three together and it comes to $58.04 USD. That's a little easier to stomach. I dunno, I'll sleep on it.

Kedrix 03-31-17 11:06 AM

After much deliberation, I decided on Cover A for Hell Comes to Frogtown (it just looks better) and then also snagged the mediabook for Johnny Mnemonic which after much searching (took me 4 different reviews) I also found was region free. I got the 800 edition of Johnny Mnemonic which doesn't have the movie cell but still contains the two discs and mediabook. (the movie cell looks like it would have cost me about $20 extra at least, no thanks.)

All in all, I'm paying $40 USD per mediabook + plus a little shipping. I also get to wait about a month and a half since HCTF doesn't come out until late April. We'll see what happens, it's two of my favorite movies, just concerned I'm going a little overboard.

1 of: Hell comes to Frogtown - 2-Disc Limited Mediabook Edition - Uncut (Blu-ray & DVD, Limitiert auf 1000 Stück, Cover A), Piper, Roddy

EUR 34,17

1 of: Johnny Mnemonic - Vernetzt - 2 Disc Exklusiv Mediabook - limitiert auf 800 Stück inkl. Langfassung - Blu-ray, Keanu Reeves

EUR 39,99

Payment information
Item(s) Subtotal: EUR 74,16
Postage & Packing: EUR 3,60

-----
Grand Total: EUR 77,76
Payment Grand Total: USD 86.22 **

dleedlee 04-14-17 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Frenzy (Post 10806393)
Usually German TV shows are horrible but "Im Angesicht des Verbrechens" is quite a gem. It deals with the Russian mob in Berlin and a young German cop with Russian-Jewish roots who has ties with both parties. According to Amazon the German DVDs have English subtitles!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RfCKdprJL.jpg

I know it's an old post but the DVD and/or download is available in the US here, as well as other German series:
https://shopmhz.com/collections/tv-from-germany
The Weissensee Saga is particularly good. Romeo and Juliet story between Stasi and activist families set in the 80s.
Also Swedish, French, Italian series, et al.

mythmaker18 04-20-17 08:46 AM

Amazon.de has three blu-ray seasons of the rebooted Hawaii Five-0 (four, five and six) which were DVD-only Stateside. Region-free and English language to boot!

They also have the short-lived 2014 ABC series Black Box in Region A/B blu-ray (and PAL DVD), which wasn't released at all in the USA!

Kedrix 04-25-17 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Kedrix (Post 13043859)
1 of: Hell comes to Frogtown - 2-Disc Limited Mediabook Edition - Uncut (Blu-ray & DVD, Limitiert auf 1000 Stück, Cover A), Piper, Roddy

1 of: Johnny Mnemonic - Vernetzt - 2 Disc Exklusiv Mediabook - limitiert auf 800 Stück inkl. Langfassung - Blu-ray, Keanu Reeves

Good news, Johnny Mnemonic did ship. Bad news, Hell Comes to Frogtown looks like it got hit with the delay stick. June 30th is now the new date. For shipping purposes, I can live with the delay...I probably didn't want two mediabooks in the same package anyway. So, I guess 2-3 weeks from now, I'll be enjoying some classic Sci-Fi Keanu.

Kedrix 05-09-17 11:41 AM

Interesting deal...

https://www.amazon.de/187-t%C3%B6dli...dp/B01L8UBSXS/

It's not even available as a Blu-ray here....but yet you can import a 4k version mediabook from Germany for a mere $24.76 USD. Pair it with one or two more items, and it comes out even better.

Still awaiting my Johnny Mnemonic Mediabook...should be here this week though.

Edit: Couldn't pass it up. It has a Sam Jack commentary too (at least according to one review I read), paired with Bloodsport blu which is region-free and while there seems to be mixed reviews, it does seem to better than the double feature that's here...I'll check and see once I get it:

1 of: Bloodsport [Blu-ray], EUR 4,61

1 of: 187 - Eine tödliche Zahl (Limited Collector's Edition im Mediabook inkl. UHD-Blu-ray) [Limited Edition], EUR 18,57

Item(s) Subtotal: EUR 23,18
Postage & Packing: EUR 3,48

Grand Total: EUR 26,66
Payment Grand Total: USD 30.26 **

2nd Edit: If anybody wants a real good site to see what the mediabook and the insides/back cover look like...go here. It's gorgeous.

https://www.bluray-dealz.de/review-1...iabook/112237/

Kedrix 05-15-17 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kedrix (Post 13043859)
... then also snagged the mediabook for Johnny Mnemonic which after much searching (took me 4 different reviews) I also found was region free. I got the 800 edition of Johnny Mnemonic which doesn't have the movie cell but still contains the two discs and mediabook.

EUR 39,99

Received Johnny Mnemonic on Saturday, it's pretty darn awesome...I can post pictures if anybody is really curious (though they are already out there from other recipients). The only thing I disliked was that the mediabook is DVD sized despite it being a couple of blu-rays. Minor thing though since I have other European box sets suffer from the same condition. A real nice piece of work, not sure if it's worth $40 though. Mostly cause I'm cheap. ;) We will see how Frogtown and 187 are for the next couple of mediabooks.

Kedrix 05-25-17 08:10 AM

Received 187 and Bloodsport last night. Not too bad on shipping (considering its Germany)...two weeks on the dot. I have not had a chance to get into 187 yet, but it came to me in excellent shape and I do hope to mess with it by the weekend. It is a large mediabook like my Johnny Mnemonic one.

Bloodsport is awesome for being a budget disc, red non-eco case (which I had to put in with my spares since I used a double disc case to keep my US copy of Bloodsport/Timecop)...and the reversible cover art was nice as well. I put it in for about 15 minutes and it looks/sounds fantastic. It is region free as stated, and has English subtitles (I think it has about 10 different subtitle languages actually). Seriously wowed, and that's hard to do. If you get a chance to throw it on an order with something else from Amazon.DE, go for it.