Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Cheap movies at amazon UK?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Cheap movies at amazon UK?

Old 08-10-00, 09:00 AM
Tec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a gc for amazon uk, and I tried to find something worth buying there, but either the movies I liked cost ~18, or they sucked. The best I was able to find was Leon for 15, but it wasn't the Director's Cut-version, and I wan't to wait for it. (if it comes ever...)

And Chiken Run will not be released for some time now, so I don't want to wait for it.

I'd appreciate very much if someone could advice where to put my money in. If I can't find anything worth, I suppose I have to stick with Wild Things. (scary....)
Old 08-10-00, 07:51 PM

You are probably better off buying a book...
Old 08-11-00, 09:59 AM
Cool New Member

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Tec:
I got a gc for amazon uk, and I tried to find something worth buying there, but either the movies I liked cost ~18, or they sucked. The best I was able to find was Leon for 15, but it wasn't the Director's Cut-version, and I wan't to wait for it. (if it comes ever...)

And Chiken Run will not be released for some time now, so I don't want to wait for it.

I'd appreciate very much if someone could advice where to put my money in. If I can't find anything worth, I suppose I have to stick with Wild Things. (scary....)
<HR>

I guess, since this is a DVD forum, that you are probably hoping to get a DVD but the days of Amazon.co.uk's mispriced Texas Chain Saw Massacre (5.99) and S.K.'s Night Flier (5.99) are well gone. In the U.K. Amazon.co.uk are pretty useless for providing competitive prices on DVDs and there's always shipping costs too.

My recommendation for films therefore is to look at the VHS titles where they have lists of "3 for 10" (i.e. individually priced at 3.33) and "Summer bargains @ 5.99ea" which is about the best you'll do on the non-mis-priced items. I'm in the U.K. and by using an Amazon refer-a-friend voucher I can get the 3.33 titles delivered to my home for 0.68 (yes - 68p!) all-in.

In the books section, checkout the "3 for 10" list (again 3.33ea) which means 1.08ea delivered to a U.K. address.

Finally, in the Computer & Video Games section, the best deal seems to be the PSX (Playstation) memory cards where certain cards priced are priced at 3.99 meaning that delivered to home (using refer-a-friend) they cost 0.25 (25p) each.

That's about the best you'll do at amazon.co.uk for bargains right now I'm afraid. I don't know if it is against this Forum's policy for me to post the following link to a webpage I have (mostly about the refer-a-friend programme) which details all these bargains that are available in the Amazon.co.uk store and what titles are available in the various categories. If it's against the policy I'll trust the moderators here to remove the following link and apologise in advance...

http://just4fun.ipfox.com/freebies/b..._a_friend.html

I hope that answers your question and helps you out somewhat. Amazon.co.uk do have bargains - just almost never in the DVD department. Sorry.

Best wishes,

Mark.

------------------
Just4Fun - FreeStuff and More!
Old 08-11-00, 04:51 PM

Just4Fun - Great shout on those bargains - Thanks....I had a 5 voucher, but could find nothing woth buying (because everything seems over-priced) but now with these deals, I found a use for it.....

Cheer m8

------------------
Welshlad
There's no need for you to tell me you think I'm right - We'll just assume that!
Old 08-11-00, 06:32 PM
Cool New Member

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Welshlad:
Just4Fun - Great shout on those bargains - Thanks....I had a 5 voucher, but could find nothing woth buying (because everything seems over-priced) but now with these deals, I found a use for it.....

Cheer m8

<HR>

No worries - It is ironic though... just as I get into DVDs I find I can buy VHS tapes regularly at 68p each... Let's hope a better-than-DVD media is relased tomorrow then maybe I can get DVDs for 68p too! (No, I really don't believe this will happen just in case anyone thinks I'm nuts.)

Cheers,

Mark.

------------------
Just4Fun - FreeStuff and More!
Old 08-17-00, 07:13 AM
Tec

Hmm...I think I have to stick to books, since those DVD-sections really sucks as you mentioned.

But I think that refer-friend-system doesn't work with me since I have already shopped at amazon.com, and if I understood correctly they are exclusive.

Thanks for the info Just4Fun, it was quite helpful to know I wasn't the only one who thinks amazon.co.uk rips you off with dvd prices
Old 08-18-00, 05:21 AM

I found "Prick up your Ears" for 9.99. (Don't know yet if it's any good..) I have been looking for "cheap" DVDs that are only available in R2 not in R1. Any suggestions...? thanks.