Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

International DVD Forum Area (enought to continue?)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

International DVD Forum Area (enought to continue?)

Old 08-11-00, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's pretty quiet in this forum area, I've had several people ask that we convert this forum area into a different topic.

Thoughts?

Geoff
Old 08-11-00, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think an educational forum like this has more value because it's not found on other forums at all. Whereas, ANIME forums are.
Old 08-11-00, 02:10 AM

Keep it here. It's quiet because most of the good deals occur in the states. International members only need to use the international forum for non US bargains. As there aren't so many of these that means that there aren't many posts. But the international section should remain.
Old 08-11-00, 02:41 AM

let it stay, there is no where else to go
Old 08-11-00, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Let is stay here, as we who live outside USA just got this forum to share our experinces and help.And most of the times US members come here and gives us help also.
Old 08-11-00, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by delboy:
let it stay, there is no where else to go <HR>

Although most countries have their own "dvdtalk" I think this area has some value in that it mixes people from different countries and there is some discussion on region 1 dvds, atleast in terms of how best for us to get our hands on them (country specific forums tend concentrate on their own region releases).

Chris
Old 08-11-00, 05:59 AM

I'D like to keep this going, too. Of course the lack of bargains in general has hit the international customers as hard as the domestic ones. But there's also some international bargains (Hong Kong movies e.g.) in the "normal" forum, so if these were transferred here by the admin it wouldn't be so quiet.
Old 08-11-00, 06:17 AM
Cool New Member

Please let it stay here...
Old 08-11-00, 06:19 AM

I agree this forum should stay.
Old 08-11-00, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ditch it. 99% of any International deals are always available to people in the US as well so they have every right to be in the general Bargains forum, and its not as if two or three extra threads in there are going to cause any problems. Whats the point of keeping this forum going when it seems to exist purely to announce whenever DVDStreet are having another sale. There are so few (if any) International bargains that they could easily be incorporated back into the Bargains forum with minimal disruption.

More human, than Human
Old 08-11-00, 07:14 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jonathan.e:
Ditch it. 99% of any International deals are always available to people in the US as well so they have every right to be in the general Bargains forum, and its not as if two or three extra threads in there are going to cause any problems. Whats the point of keeping this forum going when it seems to exist purely to announce whenever DVDStreet are having another sale. There are so few (if any) International bargains that they could easily be incorporated back into the Bargains forum with minimal disruption.

<HR>

This would be the case if it wasn't so hard to find if the bargains posted in the bargains forum were applicable to International users though...If they were stated to be US only or something, then I would agree....

------------------
Welshlad
There's no need for you to tell me you think I'm right - We'll just assume that!

[This message has been edited by Welshlad (edited August 12, 2000).]
Old 08-11-00, 07:39 AM

I completely disagree with Jonathon.e because he is very wrong. Correct that most of the bargains posted here are with DVDstreet. But does the title of the forum say 'International Bargains Forum'? No, I think not. It's here so that everone outside the US can help each other out, without getting pointless, annoying remarks from others, which happens every other post in the bargain forum.

The International forum should stay. If it were to be merged with another, there will be very little, if any, constructive comments.
Old 08-11-00, 08:19 AM

Let this forum stay, please!!!!!
Old 08-11-00, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While I agree that this forum is very quiet...I like to check in to see if I can help anyone out overseas with any info I may have!!! Not sure if there is anything we can do about increasing the use of this forum......maybe all of you international DVDTALK members can start a campaign overseas for more members from your part of the world. I would say keep it for now and if in six months the forum is as quiet as it is now then change it to something else!!!! Give our international members time to increase membership from overseas!!!!
Old 08-11-00, 10:31 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would prefer this one to stay either. Not only is it useful for current questions but I'm also searching a lot in archives.
Old 08-11-00, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVD Talk
Topics 1722 Posts 22992
Reviews
Topics 1788 Posts 10767
At The Movies
Topics 560 Posts 5983
DVD Bargains
Topics 1837 Posts 25527
Will Click For DVDs
Topics 43 Posts 825 (this forum was only started a couple of days ago!)
Online Store Forum
Topics 1511 Posts 11117
DVD Exchange
Topics 2893 Posts 14286
International DVD
Topics 290 Posts 1564
Hardware
Topics 1418 Posts 7694
DVD-ROM & PC Hardware
Topics 834 Posts 3965
Other
Topics 3878 Posts 58589
Other Bargains
Topics 2784 Posts 18060
Forum Feedback & Suggestions
Topics 395 Posts 2721

Even the Forum Feedback area generates more traffic than International and just before you all start in again, I live outside the US and I find myself spending very little time in the International Forum. This space would be better allocated to something more people would use rather than an area where often there are only two or three threads active from the past two days. Letting it slowly die over another six months would just prolong the inevitable, either something drastic happens now to prove its a viable ongoing forum area or it should be removed in favour of something that is of greater benefit to a larger number of people. Geoff should compile a list of three or four possible new forums (of which anime could be one and for fairness sake International could be included) and put it to a poll vote. If yall want to make a difference meantime I suggest you use it or lose it.

More human, than Human

[This message has been edited by jonathan.e (edited August 11, 2000).]
Old 08-11-00, 11:57 AM

I can't believe that you're threatening us. Your not even a mod. If you leave it to a poll, of course international's going to be voted out because international members are a minority here. It would be unfair to leave the fate of this forum open to all users. I understand what you're saying, and yes it does get underused. But please don't make out as if you're in charge.

The only reason, too few people use this forum, is because not that many DVD owners outside the US realise resources like this are available. Maybe it is down to DVDTalk to publicise the fact that the forums are open and available to all users around the globe?

Just as a point. My first ever post in this forum was an international based query which I posted in the bargains forum. Obviously I got abusive remarks, and told to keep it to this forum, which I now do. So what's saying if we do start posting international topics elsewhere, the same thing is going to continue? The reason the international forum is here, is for this one purpose, to keep it out of the other forums.
Old 08-11-00, 01:24 PM

I find this forum very helpful, if only to let me know quickly that there aren't many international bargains about. I used to spend ages trawling through the bargains forum to find out the same thing!

You could increase traffic by widening the scope of the forum - I'd like to see international dvd exchanges posted here.
Old 08-11-00, 02:07 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jonathan.e:
Ditch it. 99% of any International deals are always available to people in the US as well so they have every right to be in the general Bargains forum, and its not as if two or three extra threads in there are going to cause any problems. (snip) <HR>

That is true Jonathan, but I noticed a lot of negative feedback when ppl posted international shipping and bargain queries in the main forum, to the point where this forum was requested. I know that this is a very quiet forum, and your stats adequately show that, but I think that it should stay, and it doesn't have to be International BARGAINS Forum, like Essexboy states.

Down under, most of my fellow DVDers regularly visit usenet AUS.DVD, but not everyone goes there, and its nice to think that we can share bargains and other misc. International DVD issues somewhere.

By all means, Geoff, if the majority say nay, then convert it to something else, but I put my vote in for keeping this Forum.
Old 08-11-00, 02:30 PM

Minorities NEED a voice as well !!!

------------------
Groovy
Old 08-11-00, 03:42 PM

I think half the problem is the fact that most people assume that this is an International bargains forum, and thus do not post unless they have a bargain that does not apply to the US.
I also think the people in this forum are a lot nicer than those in the other forums, especially to newbies

------------------
Welshlad
There's no need for you to tell me you think I'm right - We'll just assume that!
Old 08-11-00, 04:36 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Essexboy:
It's here so that everone outside the US can help each other out, without getting pointless, annoying remarks from others, which happens every other post in the bargain forum.
<HR>

Agreed, at least the 'atmosphere' in here is friendly. Perhaps we could be a nice 'DVD Bargains' forum under the guise of 'International DVD' ???

I agree with jonathan.e to a point, but I also agree that the DVDStreet deals (which I use a lot, though mainly for (gasp!) Audiostreet) would just get lost in the main forum. I can't see the harm in leaving this here, its not causing any major hassles is it?

Group hug?

Foxy
Old 08-11-00, 05:19 PM

Let it stay
Old 08-11-00, 05:21 PM
bsc

<small>
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Essexboy:I can't believe that you're threatening us. Your not even a mod. [....]But please don't make out as if you're in charge.<HR>
</small>Last time I looked Mr E was a creditable contributor to the BArgains Forum. I certainly didn't see his post here as anything more than someone expressing a point of view. I'd prefer the ease of having an International Bargains Forum (perhaps not DVD-specific) but have no problem with someone making a case against it....
Old 08-11-00, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Essexboy:
I can't believe that you're threatening us......But please don't make out as if you're in charge.<HR>

Im not threatening anyone or playing Moderator, simply re-iterating what is implied in Geoffs original post in that this forum is drastically underpopulated and underused. DVDTalk consumes a large amount of bandwith and allocating some of that precious commodity to an area which is barely used seems a little pointless especially if there are other subjects which could be given that same forum.

The meaning of my "use it or lose it" comment should be obvious to all. If this forum continues to be used as infrequently as it is now, there will always be the possibility that it is replaced by something else. Thats not my decision but ultimately Geoffs who raised this point in his opening post and invited people to post their opinions which is what I did along with everyone else. I realise they are in opposition to yours but I felt that as I also live outside the US my opinion might provide another perspective as I rarely find anything that interests me in other regions, which is not to say that interesting DVD is non-existant outside the US, but that any topics about it are easily placed in DVD Talk Forum and the Bargains Forum if they relate to a bargain eg. the current Prisoner box set which will probably end up costing region one buyers 150% what it will cost for the region two version. Personally Im mystified as to why the threads about this are not in the Bargains forum as this is an offer that anyone anywhere can take advantage of, as the UK comapanies offering this set are more than happy to ship internationally.

Its all very well segregating every little niche aspect of DVD but I think that with the majority of subjects covered in this forum they would easily be absorbed back into the other areas that already exist. Geoff has given this forum a fair run and plainly it has not met his expectations, so its only logical that the situation changes or that something replaces the existing forum, as is being proposed.

More human, than Human

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.