Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Amazon.co.uk - Best service on the net?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Amazon.co.uk - Best service on the net?

Old 08-15-00, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Admittedly their prices are nowhere near the cheapest, but their service is second to none.
I ordered an item from them yesterday morning, got the e-mail notice of the order literally in a few seconds, then within a couple of hours had an e-mail telling me the order had been dispatched.
First thing this morning, what dya know - its arrived, within less than 24 hours!

Now that's what I call service!

Just thought I would post and give them the recognition they deserve...

------------------
Welshlad
There's no need for you to tell me you think I'm right - We'll just assume that!
Old 08-15-00, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I was paying the "over high street" prices at AmazonUK Id want the item delivering beforeI even ordered it!

More human, than Human
Old 08-15-00, 05:07 PM

I agree they are not the cheapest (well, in fact they are nowhere near the cheapest (unless you use GC's of course)) but their service is superb....

------------------
Welshlad
There's no need for you to tell me you think I'm right - We'll just assume that!
Old 08-15-00, 11:54 PM

I agree. I always get items delivered in 48 hours max and have never had a problem. I usually use GCs and so the price becomes reasonable, certainly not as expensive as the high street for new DVDs.
The main problem with amazon UK is the shipping costs, this always bring it higher than places that do free shipping like Play247 or DVDStreet.

[This message has been edited by Ravioli (edited August 15, 2000).]
Old 08-16-00, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've only ordered once from Amazon UK, but the order shipped within 24 hours and arrived in 5 days. Easily better than any US etailer!

Chris
Old 08-16-00, 07:03 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Ravioli:
I agree. I always get items delivered in 48 hours max and have never had a problem. I usually use GCs and so the price becomes reasonable, certainly not as expensive as the high street for new DVDs.
The main problem with amazon UK is the shipping costs, this always bring it higher than places that do free shipping like Play247 or DVDStreet.

[This message has been edited by Ravioli (edited August 15, 2000).]
<HR>

I agree about the gift certificates, although I only ever get 5 so it just about covers shipping and a little bit off the item itself.
If the others are able to do free shipping, why not Amazon?

------------------
Welshlad
Old 08-16-00, 07:08 AM
Cool New Member

Just a thought is there any uk website (something like jaboom or echo) offering to earn you amazon uk coupons.
Old 08-16-00, 11:46 AM
Cool New Member

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Welshlad:
If the others are able to do free shipping, why not Amazon?<HR>

Play247 offer free UK shipping but here's what you get for free - your DVD is shipped in a cheap white jiffy-style envelope with appropriate postage (probably about 50p value) attached. This is 'adequate' for most DVDs (the ones in Amray cases) but is risky for those in Warner (cardboard) cases and the CD-a-like hard plastic shell cases because the jiffy bag (not a particularly good one) does not offer enough protection.

On the other hand, Amazon sends everything in a vary solid cardboard package that is designed to protect all the various types of enclosure. This obviously costs more to manfacture than the cheap jiffys and is also heavier which adds more cost again.

It would be hard to say that one approach is better than the other. If I wanted a warner or shell-package title and I wanted them delivered in pristine condition I would naturally choose Amazon. If I wanted something that came in an Amray case and cost was a more important consideration then I would probably choose Play247. If I wanted to buy from the company who I trusted most (i.e. best customer service) then again, I'd probably plump for Amazon based on my previous experience of the two companies.

We pick as we see appropriate. For me, it would not be the higher non-inclusive shipping costs that disappoint me regarding Amazon - it would be the higher (equivalent to high-street) pricing that they have on their titles. They do discount in other areas such as books and VHS titles but it seems that even they cannot beat the high margins placed on DVDs down too far... and that's a shame.

Cheers,

Mark.

------------------
Just4Fun - FreeStuff and More!