Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any good DVD places down under??

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Any good DVD places down under??

Old 07-10-00, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to be in Australia in 2 weeks on business. Are there any good spots in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide?

What I am especially searching for are AFL grand finals on DVD that are region free or coded for region 1.
Old 07-11-00, 02:52 AM

xcheckers

Most of the retail stores in Melb stock only Region 4's with Video Ezy and Target/Kmart generally being a good bet for selection and price, respectively.

AFAIK there is the 1997 Grand Final (Adelaide Crows v. St Kilda) available on a dual sided PAL/NTSC region free disc, for about AUS$18. I don't know whether there are any other finals available on DVD, mostly on PAL video. I haven't checked but you could look at www.ezydvd.com.au who provide overnight shipping within Aust.
Old 07-11-00, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks Keith. am looking especiallyf for 1996 and 1999 (years of the 'Roos).

May actually make it to colonial for the Essendon vs. Western match on 7/28 too.

However, I may pick up the 97 final anyway at that price. (about $10 US sounds good for a grand final dvd!)
Old 07-12-00, 08:54 AM

xcheckers

Colonial is an impressive ground, but you might find the match a bit of a one sided affair. Essendon has won the last 18 games with a pounding of 87 points against Fremantle last weekend, and the decimating 101 points against the Tigers the week before (which was a bit heart breaking for a Tiges Fan ).

I was in a DVD shop today, and apparently the only available DVD is the 1997 Adelaide Crows final. I don't know why, but you can probably check this site for other AFL Grand Finals on tape (NTSC or PAL). You can probably get these slightly cheaper from the B&M stores.
http://www.aflvideo.com.au/
Old 07-12-00, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know the Bombers are having a great year, but ANY live footy match would be great. To see the new ground will be too. Just wish it were my 'Roos. I will miss them by a day on each side of my trip.

FYI, I am on the AFL Roos mailout list, so I get a weekly update. I just hope the Bombers lose 1 match, the grand final, to the 'Roos.

Where are you in Australia??? I love it down there and wish I had more time, but this is a business trip and I just had my vacation....
Old 07-12-00, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by xcheckers:
FYI, I am on the AFL Roos mailout list, so I get a weekly update. I just hope the Bombers lose 1 match, the grand final, to the 'Roos.
<HR>

Heh, I'm not quite so confident. I actually tipped them in their last match against essendon thinking that if anyone can do it, the roos can. Of course that didn't work out . But then Essendon did choke last year so maybe it will happen again (not that I really wish it on them).

Chris D
Old 07-13-00, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are either of you in Melbourne??? Maybe we can have dvdtalk night at the footy?!?

Or, if in Sydney, maybe we could down some brews over the Sunday footy matches the day I arrive down under...
Old 07-13-00, 02:42 PM

I'm in Melb, but have plans for that weekend - and not too keen on watching the Bulldogs get trounced. Richmond are playing on Saturday night vs. Sydney - GO TIGES!!

If you are short on time down here, and still want the 97 Grand Final DVD, let me know - I'll see if the local Video Ezy has it, otherwise, I'm going to put an order for a couple of other DVDs thru their site & I can get it for you then. I'll let you buy me a couple of beers in return.
Old 07-13-00, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm in Adelaide, sorry. You should have a good time though.

Chris D
Old 07-14-00, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

KeithT,

Is the store near the Grand Hyatt??? That is where I think I am staying.. Ah, thou art a Richmond fan....Shame you are busy, we could drink some brews that evening. Any good places near the Hyatt? It's been a while since I was last in Melb ('93). Last time I went to the Redback with some friends. And, I made it to the MCG for a 'Roos match... Looking forward to pies and cold ones... I love the beer down your way as well as the Shiraz.

Chris,

Unfortunately, no footy when I am in Adelaide. At least there is a wine dinner and wine tasting in the Barossa Valley though.....If there is a good DVD shop, let me know....I have about 1-2 hours free before I fly back to Melb. Is the Hyatt Regency nice? Seems that is where they selected...
Old 07-15-00, 07:59 AM

You're probably celebrating the Roos 39 point victory over Geelong.

The closest store is probably the Target city centre about a block and a half away on Bourke St. Reasonable range of R4 DVDs, not sure if they have the Grand Final dvd though. Most of the Video Ezys are out in the burbs, and my local did not stock it either.

Grand Hyatt is about 1 block from where I work, so it won't be a hassle for me to send it down to u if still want the DVD. Let me know soonish though (email). I'm getting a couple of DTS titles and the Platinum Demo disc from their site to test out my new DTS receiver!! Woo hooo!!! Should have the order for Saving Private Ryan DTS from Express next week too.
Old 07-16-00, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by xcheckers:
KeithT,

Chris,

Unfortunately, no footy when I am in Adelaide. At least there is a wine dinner and wine tasting in the Barossa Valley though.....If there is a good DVD shop, let me know....I have about 1-2 hours free before I fly back to Melb. Is the Hyatt Regency nice? Seems that is where they selected...
<HR>

I've never actually bought a dvd at a B&M, in fact I only own 3 R4 discs . I think a department store like KMart might be a good bet but I don't know of any one place that is the place to go to.

I've been to the Hyatt just for dessert but their mains are a bit out of my price range. In theory it should be good though .

Chris D