Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

17.5% off link for DVDStreet :-)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

17.5% off link for DVDStreet :-)

Old 06-27-00, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to go one better than the other thread:
http://www.dvdstreet.infront.co.uk/c...te.cgi?a=13332

Sponsored by Freeserve. Go to this place for more deals they're sponsoring:
http://www.freeserve.net/bonanza
Old 06-27-00, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 240 Posts
You can also get 17.5% off at Blackstar, and they don't charge for shipping to the US:
http://www.blackstar.co.uk/circle/freeserve_bonanza

Expires 7/3

-Ken

------------------
The beginnings of my collection
Old 06-28-00, 07:41 AM

Yeah, but Blackstar just say, "...customers get a minimum 17.5% discount..." of all DVDs, whereas DVD Street are doing an additional 17.5% off their already discounted prices, so you may well end up with 30 or 40% off.
Old 06-28-00, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yup. You're right. But the GBP 2.35 s/h for a single DVD closes the gap. I s'pose it all comes down to what title you're ordering, and whether DVDStreet is discounting it significantly enough to make up for Blackstar's free shipping.

6 of one... (which reminds me, I need to get that Prisoner box set ordered soon!)

-Ken

------------------
Old 06-28-00, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What are you region 1 people ordering from UK region 2? Usually, I would only order from R2 if the disc was MUCH better than the R1 counterpart (eg, a full-blown SE versus bare-bones) or wasn't available in R1 at all.

So far, I've found:

Dobermann - Crazed French black comedy/action film from a colleague of Luc Besson. Not available in R1.

Taxi - Luc Besson wrote this Blues-Brothers-esque action comedy. However, you can find a NTSC R3 disc from Asia that has removeable subs, widescreen, 5.1 for much less. Not availabe in R1.

Drive - The best American martial arts ever. The R2 release is an anamorphic director's cut special edition. The R1 release is a cut budget release with a different soundtrack.

Point Break - Not available in R1 (though it's coming).

Les Visiteurs 2 + 1 - Not available in UK R2 (only non-UK R2), but it looks like a great disc. Both Visiteurs 1 and 2, English & French 5.1 tracks, removeable English subs. Can't find it cheap anywhere (no discounts).

Any others? Also, does anyone know where to get the Visiteurs 2 + 1 disc at a good price? Coupons or discounts maybe?

Old 06-28-00, 06:57 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ipkevin:
Drive - The best American martial arts ever. The R2 release is an anamorphic director's cut special edition. The R1 release is a cut budget release with a different soundtrack
<HR>

I'm actually quite a fan of Martial arts films, but I'm ashamed to admit I've never even heard of Drive - would you recommend this as a purchase or rental quality DVD?

------------------
Welshlad
Old 06-28-00, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ipkevin:
What are you region 1 people ordering from UK region 2? Usually, I would only order from R2 if the disc was MUCH better than the R1 counterpart (eg, a full-blown SE versus bare-bones) or wasn't available in R1 at all.<HR>

Ding ding ding! There are some titles that you cannot get in R1, including several TV series (like Farscape and The Prisoner).

-Ken

------------------
Old 06-28-00, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Prisoner coming out on region one with more extras than the region two release so hold onto those pennies.

More human, than Human
Old 06-28-00, 09:21 PM

What about the whole of Friends Series 1 to 5? 8 episodes per double sided disc - 15 discs for the lot - top stuff.
Old 06-28-00, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jonathan.e:
[b]Prisoner coming out on region one with more extras than the region two release so hold onto those pennies.<HR>

Twice I've heard this, but have been unable to confirm it anywhere. Do you have a source, or can you throw a URL in the mix here to point me in the right direction?

-Ken

------------------
Old 06-28-00, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As originally posted by boies00:

From the web site of The Prisoner Appreciation Society (Six of One):

OUTSTANDING USA VIDEO NEWS: New Video/A&E Home Video will release (in the USA) videotape 3-pack sets (one episode per tape) and DVD 2-disc boxed sets of The Prisoner in the Fall of 2000! The DVD sets will have two episodes on the first disc and one episode plus supplemental material on the second disc. Working with Six of One, the DVD's should be loaded with rare EXTRAS which are being suggested right now.

EXCITING UK VIDEOTAPE NEWS: Starting June 12th, 2000 - the first two volumes of The Prisoner will be released in the UK by Carlton Video. Each tape will cost 9.99 and each will contain two episodes. On August 14th, Volumes Three and Four will be released with episodes 5 through 8 on them. That is the announced schedule so far. DVDs are now scheduled for an August 14th release on four discs. http://www.netreach.net/~sixofone/index.htm

More human, than Human
Old 06-29-00, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've ordered MANY things...

TWINE (with about 50 min of extra stuff)
Larry Sanders show
Orgazmo
Black Adder
Fritz the Cat
Purple Rain (Region 1 is Pan and Scam)
just to name a few...

------------------
Electric2k

Visit Region Free for DVD reviews and retail information for Import DVDs!
Old 06-29-00, 03:14 AM

I ordered from Black Star:

ABBA - Forever Gold (DVD) (Region 2) 15.99 (was 19.99) Preorder (20% off)
Jean De Florette (DVD) (Widescreen) (Region 16.49 (was 19.99)
La Reine Margot (DVD) (Widescreen) (Region 16.49 (was 19.99)
Manon Des Sources (DVD) (Widescreen) (Regio 16.49 (was 19.99)
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells II / Tubular Bells III (DVD) (Region 2) 16.49 (was 19.99)
Old 06-29-00, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Welshlad - If you like martial arts movies, then you must buy Drive right now. It stars martial arts champ Mark Dascascos, who usually headlines scores of terrible direct-to-video action movies. Drive is a lower-budget film, but it's very ambitious (sci-fi elements) and well shot by a director with talent. As I implied earlier, the martial arts choreography is the best I've ever seen in an American film. It is highly reminiscent of Hong Kong work, with Jackie-Chan-style enclosed space acrobatics as well as more hard-hitting Yuen Woo Ping/Jet Li type scenes. If I hadn't known better, I would definitely have mistaken it for the work of a Hong Kong team.

The story and dialogue are nothing special, but they aren't bad either and that's enough for this film.

Everyone else - Thanks for the other recommendations. Can't say any of it tickles my fancy (except perhaps La Reine Margot ). The Friends set sounds incredible, value-wise. Filling the capacity of the disc with episodes is the way to go for TV series. Here's hoping they give a similar treatment to Batman Animated and Good vs. Evil!

[This message has been edited by ipkevin (edited June 28, 2000).]