Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking for Blu-Ray Importing Site

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Looking for Blu-Ray Importing Site

Old 03-06-11, 03:30 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,496
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for Blu-Ray Importing Site

Okay so I'm looking to pick up some Blu-Ray Imports now that I have bought a Region Free Blu-Ray player. The only site I know of that imports is Amazon.co.uk but I rather find a site that does everything in US $Dollars/Money$.

Here are the ones I'm looking for...........

Night of the Living Dead(Optimum)
Dawn of the Dead(Arrow)
Day of the Dead(Arrow)
Diary of the Dead (Optimum)
Descent Part 2
American The Bill Hicks Story
Evil Dead(Sony)
Army of Darkness(Optimum)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre(Second Sight)
Suspiria (Nouveaux)
Old 03-06-11, 05:00 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: TN
Posts: 1,326
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Looking for Blu-Ray Importing Site

Amazon UK usually gives me the option of checking out in USD as long as there is no preorder involved, in which case they only use GBP because the exchange rate can change. I find it convenient that they charge me in USD as my CC company likes to throw in a fee. You probably aren't going to find a cheaper option than Amazon UK. On the final checkout page, look under "Order Summary" and there is a "Switch Currency" button.
Old 03-06-11, 12:05 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA
Posts: 862
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Looking for Blu-Ray Importing Site

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy View Post
Amazon UK usually gives me the option of checking out in USD as long as there is no preorder involved, in which case they only use GBP because the exchange rate can change. I find it convenient that they charge me in USD as my CC company likes to throw in a fee. You probably aren't going to find a cheaper option than Amazon UK. On the final checkout page, look under "Order Summary" and there is a "Switch Currency" button.
Have you by any chance compared Amazon.uk's USD/GBP conversion rate against the conversion rates on, say, XE or Oanda and verified that they did not bury a 2-3% surcharge in theirs?

Also, I have had some credit-card companies (e.g., Citi, Chase) levying their "international transaction" fees even though the transaction was in USD due to the "foreign base-location" of the retailer store-front in question (e.g., AbeBooks was considered Canadian regardless of the actual location of the bookseller involved). I think this is illegal but it's a pain to argue the case with the CC companies.

Last edited by cine; 03-06-11 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-06-11, 02:16 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nightmare Alley
Posts: 17,112
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Looking for Blu-Ray Importing Site

Originally Posted by cine View Post
Have you by any chance compared Amazon.uk's USD/GBP conversion rate against the conversion rates on, say, XE or Oanda and verified that they did not bury a 2-3% surcharge in theirs?
They do include a surcharge, which is why I never opt to have Amazon UK do the conversion for me.
Old 03-06-11, 07:38 PM
  #5  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,588
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Looking for Blu-Ray Importing Site

^ I guess from what you're saying is that's it's best not to let Amazon do the conversion, I didn't know that.
Old 03-07-11, 01:12 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: TN
Posts: 1,326
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Looking for Blu-Ray Importing Site

Originally Posted by cine View Post
Have you by any chance compared Amazon.uk's USD/GBP conversion rate against the conversion rates on, say, XE or Oanda and verified that they did not bury a 2-3% surcharge in theirs?

Also, I have had some credit-card companies (e.g., Citi, Chase) levying their "international transaction" fees even though the transaction was in USD due to the "foreign base-location" of the retailer store-front in question (e.g., AbeBooks was considered Canadian regardless of the actual location of the bookseller involved). I think this is illegal but it's a pain to argue the case with the CC companies.
I see what you mean. Amazon's exchange rate right now is 1.687 and XE's is 1.625. I am not sure if the exchange rate my CC company uses matches XE since I've never bothered to do the math. My CC company has never levied an "international transaction" fee against me but I concede your point that if they did, it would be pointless to try to avoid the conversion fee. I still think Amazon UK is going to be his best option for those titles. I'd be interested in a cheaper alternative myself.
Old 03-07-11, 06:40 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,004
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Looking for Blu-Ray Importing Site

Amazon UK is generally the best for UK titles.

As for the conversion fee, I have found my Australia banks charging me pretty much the same as Amazon for the conversion, but the US banks may be more generous.
Old 03-07-11, 04:13 PM
  #8  
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The lonely depths of my mind
Posts: 3,863
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Looking for Blu-Ray Importing Site

Originally Posted by TNAJason View Post
Okay so I'm looking to pick up some Blu-Ray Imports now that I have bought a Region Free Blu-Ray player. The only site I know of that imports is Amazon.co.uk but I rather find a site that does everything in US $Dollars/Money$.

Here are the ones I'm looking for...........

Night of the Living Dead(Optimum)
Dawn of the Dead(Arrow)
Day of the Dead(Arrow)
Diary of the Dead (Optimum)
Descent Part 2
American The Bill Hicks Story
Evil Dead(Sony)
Army of Darkness(Optimum)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre(Second Sight)
Suspiria (Nouveaux)
What region free player do you have ? It does the PAL to NTSC conversion by it's self ?
Old 03-07-11, 04:28 PM
  #9  
Premium Member
 
E Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 6ft Behind Wolf in the Situation Room
Posts: 16,121
Received 323 Likes on 259 Posts
Re: Looking for Blu-Ray Importing Site

I kind of thought all region free players have PAL-NTSC conversion. Hence region free.
Old 03-07-11, 07:47 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
manicsounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 2,609
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Looking for Blu-Ray Importing Site

Not all. Some players (like Sony or Panasonic, depending on models) cannot convert PAL to NTSC or the other way, and only output the signal as is.
Old 03-08-11, 01:43 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: england
Posts: 977
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Looking for Blu-Ray Importing Site

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
I kind of thought all region free players have PAL-NTSC conversion. Hence region free.
there's no PAL / NTSC issue with HD; conversion is only needed to deal with extras on discs (in SD) and with DVDs that the player might have to handle.

as for currency rates, you'll never find two sites easily comparable, whether retailer, exchange rate sites like XE, or credit card services. not worth splitting hairs over fractions of a percent. best all-round UK sites for non-UK buyers is amazon; can find better prices often if you live in the UK, but not if you're outside Europe altogether.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.