Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Now Reel has gone where are you shopping

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Now Reel has gone where are you shopping

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-00, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys/Gals

Now Reel has vanished from the international scene, where are you all favouring to go next? Here in the UK they seem to wnat to charge the earth for DVD in the highstreet and even DVD sites. I think a fair price all round would be about £12. Not so great as Reel I know. but not a bad price rather then theer greedy £17.99 and £19.99 they now seem to be pushing towards.

Thansk in advance for your Imput

Dennis
Old 06-20-00, 10:41 AM

With Reel and BFL, my average is still about 6 quid for my 40 DVDs. I'm not going to the high street quite yet. I'm low on money now so I'm going to stick to clicking for Amazon GCS
Old 06-20-00, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you can't be bothered with click sites like Jaboom (I know I can't...) about the best "deals" are from the Canadian sites; for example, dvdboxoffice.com and dvddynamic.com ... Both offer free shipping and always ship discs individually to dodge customs, and prices at both are usually around the £12-£13 mark. But if that's still too steep for you, then there's pretty much bugger all you can do except get Jaboom-ing...
Old 06-20-00, 11:29 AM

I placed my Reel preorders with Cd Universe instead. They have fair shipping prices and 40 % off every DVD. I have just started jabooming, freeriding and firstlooking as well, but to me i sounds too good to be true...
Old 06-20-00, 12:07 PM

Whats CD universe web site never seen them advertised before.

quote:<HR>Originally posted by craig_karriarist:
I placed my Reel preorders with Cd Universe instead. They have fair shipping prices and 40 % off every DVD. I have just started jabooming, freeriding and firstlooking as well, but to me i sounds too good to be true...<HR>

Old 06-20-00, 12:08 PM

What is Amazon GCS ?

How did you manage to get your dvds so cheap or are you taking your saving over the whole collection?
Was it mostly coupons and brand4less spend so much get so much back?

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mr Bigglesworth:
With Reel and BFL, my average is still about 6 quid for my 40 DVDs. I'm not going to the high street quite yet. I'm low on money now so I'm going to stick to clicking for Amazon GCS<HR>

Old 06-20-00, 01:18 PM

dmward71:
I've mainly saved through reel coupons and brandsforless rebates. Some DVDs have been more expensive than others of course, 6 quid is just an average. I think I've received about $150 to $200 worth in rebates. When Reel stopped coupons, I used the reel trivia game and then freeride and firstlook to get amazon gcs.
I also used first time offers for sites like express.com and cduniverse though the latter was a mistake. CDuniverse was a site that was hacked by some people in December and 20,000 credit card numbers were stolen. They came back with apparently the best security ever and had a couple of promotional coupons but cocked up so many orders that many of us don't bother using them because they can't really be trusted.

As for amazon gcs, that stands for Gift Certificates for amazon.com who sell Region 1 dvds and ship internationally. There are various sites like jaboom.com, freeride.com and firstlook.com that reward you for following links or reviewing films, songs etc. They get money from advertising every time someone clicks and you get so much back in return. These can then be converted into gift certificates for amazon, which are e-mailed to you and you then enter them when you fill in your order details. You can use more than one on an order which means if you keep clicking, you can get a few dvds for free.

With Reel now dead, your best bet if you have some spare time is to join these sites and earn some GCs for amazon. You will need to make up an American address for freeride but just make sure your e-mail address is correct and you will receive the GCs.

Hope that helps

------------------
[\/]
|OO|
\ ~/
| |
|!!|____
0000___/
Old 06-20-00, 02:01 PM

Many Thanks for your help...and advise

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mr Bigglesworth:
dmward71:
I've mainly saved through reel coupons and brandsforless rebates. Some DVDs have been more expensive than others of course, 6 quid is just an average. I think I've received about $150 to $200 worth in rebates. When Reel stopped coupons, I used the reel trivia game and then freeride and firstlook to get amazon gcs.
I also used first time offers for sites like express.com and cduniverse though the latter was a mistake. CDuniverse was a site that was hacked by some people in December and 20,000 credit card numbers were stolen. They came back with apparently the best security ever and had a couple of promotional coupons but cocked up so many orders that many of us don't bother using them because they can't really be trusted.

As for amazon gcs, that stands for Gift Certificates for amazon.com who sell Region 1 dvds and ship internationally. There are various sites like jaboom.com, freeride.com and firstlook.com that reward you for following links or reviewing films, songs etc. They get money from advertising every time someone clicks and you get so much back in return. These can then be converted into gift certificates for amazon, which are e-mailed to you and you then enter them when you fill in your order details. You can use more than one on an order which means if you keep clicking, you can get a few dvds for free.

With Reel now dead, your best bet if you have some spare time is to join these sites and earn some GCs for amazon. You will need to make up an American address for freeride but just make sure your e-mail address is correct and you will receive the GCs.

Hope that helps

<HR>

Old 06-20-00, 10:06 PM

I have already regreted my choice of CD Universe as DVD supplier after the closing of Reel.com. Two of the titles are in stock according to the CD Universe webb page. Still I recieved an email from them saying that the items were backordered! *sighs*
Old 06-20-00, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

To craig_karriarist ...they allways say its on stock on the website and you never get it even you wait for months, but luckily you might 1 out of the 2 DVD's then they will ship the DVD and might forget you have a backorder with them and stright charge for the DVD, and next time thye ship you the remaining DVD you gonna have to pay the extra shipping charges.Well it's still not late to cancel you orders!

------------------
My slow growing collectionhttp://www.dvdtracker.com/~kumarav
Old 06-20-00, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll be shopping at at express.com and occasionally at amazon when I have the odd cheap survey gc to use up.

Chris D
Old 06-22-00, 08:08 AM

Firstly I pre-ordered Jennifer 8 from CDUniverse months ago. They've just cancelled it on me for the second time. I've gone 45 days waiting for them to get it in stock.

I then tried another order of 4 discs, asking that they wait up to 14 days for any backordered items before shipping. They still shipped out 3 of them within a couple of days and put the other one on backorder. I then have to cancel that as shipping for one disc is ridiculous.

If you have a lot of currently released discs you're keen on you could buy from them, and cross your fingers that most of them will be in stock. Forget trying to get hold of the others.
Old 06-22-00, 01:10 PM

Cheers guys for all you input.

from what I have been hearing seems like Reel was a big loses to everyone.
Old 06-22-00, 10:12 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by TheyCallHimJim:
If you can't be bothered with click sites like Jaboom (I know I can't...) about the best "deals" are from the Canadian sites; for example, dvdboxoffice.com and dvddynamic.com ... Both offer free shipping and always ship discs individually to dodge customs, and prices at both are usually around the £12-£13 mark. But if that's still too steep for you, then there's pretty much bugger all you can do except get Jaboom-ing...<HR>

Actually, DVD BO and Dynamic are two of the higher priced etailers here in Canada, although the free shipping certianly makes up for it. I compare most of the Canadian etailers on my website as well as preorder prices....take a look.

Kevin

------------------
Kevin B.
[email protected] | Canadian DVD Traders Website | My DVD List