DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   What Have You Ordered Recently? Part 8 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/584998-what-have-you-ordered-recently-part-8-a.html)

NoirFan 12-17-10 03:50 PM

What Have You Ordered Recently? Part 8

Pre-ordered the next two Second Run releases, they're the only DVDs I buy anymore:

Casa de Lava - £6.80
Larks on a String - £6.80

terrycloth 01-08-11 11:40 PM

Re: What Have You Ordered Recently? Part 7

Samurai zombie, Bikini girls on ice, the horde, big tit zombies all from amazon uk

zombeaner 01-09-11 09:08 PM

THREAD LIVES!!

Anyway, I have a couple on order from Amazon UK:

Kung Fu Dunk Blu
Magick Lantern Cycle Blu

How's that for diversity!

Also contemplating some HK Blus, but I'm not sure what yet.

DarthVong 01-16-11 02:37 AM

American Psycho BD AUS
The Hills Have Eyes Remake BD AUS
John Carpenter's The Fog BD UK
SAW Uncut BD GER
Jeepers Creepers BD GER

NoirFan 01-16-11 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by zombeaner (Post 10581495)
Magick Lantern Cycle Blu

Nice choice. These were screened at a local theater with Anger in attendance a couple of months ago, but unfortunately I couldn't attend. I'm sure he told some crazy Hollywood Babylon-type stories.

Giles 01-18-11 01:23 PM

http://www.brutalashell.com/wp-conte...asties-dvd.jpg

The Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide

zombeaner 01-18-11 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 10592473)
Nice choice. These were screened at a local theater with Anger in attendance a couple of months ago, but unfortunately I couldn't attend. I'm sure he told some crazy Hollywood Babylon-type stories.

I'd been waiting for it to go back below £10, I had the Fantoma sets, but I really wanted it all in HD.

NoirFan 01-25-11 03:42 PM

Amazon UK:
Phenomena - £12.44
The Lighthouse - £8.08
La Signora Senza Camelie - £13.41
Le Amiche - £13.14

zombeaner 01-25-11 07:56 PM

Memories of Matsuko Blu

cine 01-25-11 10:07 PM

Barnes&Noble
The Last Emperor
Paris, Texas
The Thin Red Line
America Lost and Found (The BBS Story)

The Fugitive Kind
The Only Son/There Was a Father

AmazonMarketplace
El Embrujo De Shanghai

HamiltonBooks
The Films of Alexandro Jorodowsky

benedict 01-26-11 06:56 AM

Heaven knows when I'll be watching these!

All my purchases are Region 2 so, for most people reading this, I am guessing that they qualify as "International"!

Broadly during the period since the start of Part 8 (recently split to more or less signify the beginning of 2011) I have ordered &/or received:Some of these are kids shows from way back that perhaps I didn't see but which have been acclaimed elsewhere; others are shows I watched many moons ago which I'd like to revisit if/when time permits.

PopcornBandit 01-26-11 09:06 AM

Re: What Have You Ordered Recently? Part 8

Video Nasties - The Definitive Guide
Savage Streets (Special Uncut Edition)

zombeaner 01-26-11 09:35 AM

Enthiran DVD from BhavaniDVD

Preterite 01-26-11 11:56 AM

As a birthday present for myself, Coffret le Saint from Amazon.fr. It's a collection of the first eight Saint B-mysteries from the 1940's. I love these flicks and have had my eye on this collection for some time.

I might have slightly preferred the Spanish sets as the packaging on those (based on the 90's VHS releases) are more "noir", but Amazon.fr takes off VAT and had cheaper shipping than any of the Spanish sites I visited. It's a shame that shipping is so prohibitive, because there's a few discs I would love to order from Spain (Pimpernel Smith, The Spanish Main, and the Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. Sinbad the Sailor). The last two are available on Amazon.fr., but I am a little leery ordering them due to the French habit of forcing subtitles on English-language films. I only felt comfortable ordering the Saint set after stumbling across this review.

And holy crap, I just noticed that two of the Falcon series have been released in the UK! The Falcon Takes Over is the first film adaptation of Chandler's Farewell My Lovely, and The Falcon's Brother features real-life brothers George Sanders and Tom Conway as the sleuthing siblings. Come on, payday!

zombeaner 01-26-11 08:09 PM

I'm still trying to put together an HK/KOR Blu ray order, but they are all so expensive!

musicfann 02-02-11 06:50 AM

SUSPIRIA Blu Ray Japan
THE CROW Blu Ray Japan
COBRA Blu Ray Japan
AI (Artificial Intelligence) Blu Ray Japan
LONG KISS GOODNIGHT Blu Ray Japan
GODZILLA (1954) Blu Ray Japan
DEMOLITION MAN Blu Ray Germany
RED SONJA Blu Ray Germany
NOTTING HILL Blu Ray Germany

Giles 02-02-11 11:17 AM

ordered IRON MONKEY (Blu-ray) (DDDHouse)

Subgeniusguy 02-02-11 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Preterite (Post 10609035)
As a birthday present for myself, Coffret le Saint from Amazon.fr. It's a collection of the first eight Saint B-mysteries from the 1940's. I love these flicks and have had my eye on this collection for some time.

That's great. I've never seen the Saint films, but I'd like to. Do you know how the French set compares with the Spanish set? I'd like to hear how you like the set once you get into it.
I spotted the Falcon discs on Amazon.UK the other day. I thought maybe they might get a mention on DVDBeaver. The company that released them is Odeon. I've got their Scarlet Street release which looks fairly generic packaging wise but is an excellent transfer. Hopefully they are consistent. They are also releasing The Saint's Double Trouble. Too bad they didn't create a box set of Falcon and Saint films.

musicfann 02-02-11 01:33 PM

CHUNGKING EXPRESS (Artificial Eye) Blu Ray UK

ASHES OF TIME (Artificial Eye) Blu Ray UK

RAW DEAL Blu Ray UK

THE BEYOND Blu Ray UK

YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT Blu Ray France

JACK NICHOLSON COLLECTION..THE EARLY YEARS
(The Shooting, Ride the Whirlwind, The Wild Ride, Flight To Fury, Studs Lonigan)

Preterite 02-02-11 03:02 PM

From Amazon UK (hey, it was my birthday):

1 "The Robin Hood Collection [DVD]" £5.83
1 "The Master of Ballentrae [DVD]" £5.99
1 "Doctor Who - The Cybermen Box Set [DVD]" £12.91
2 "The Falcon Takes Over [DVD] [1942]" £5.16
1 "The Falcons Brother [DVD] [1942]" £5.16
-------------
£48.24 shipped

And I see I accidentally ordered two copies of The Falcon Takes Over. Ah, well.

Preterite 02-02-11 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy (Post 10619620)
That's great. I've never seen the Saint films, but I'd like to. Do you know how the French set compares with the Spanish set? I'd like to hear how you like the set once you get into it.
I spotted the Falcon discs on Amazon.UK the other day. I thought maybe they might get a mention on DVDBeaver. The company that released them is Odeon. I've got their Scarlet Street release which looks fairly generic packaging wise but is an excellent transfer. Hopefully they are consistent. They are also releasing The Saint's Double Trouble. Too bad they didn't create a box set of Falcon and Saint films.

All I know is that the Spanish release splits the movies into two sets. The artwork was similar to that used on the TCM VHS releases from the 90's.

I am a lo-def, 2.0 sound guy, so I am not the one to go do for a decent review of the French set. However, the page I linked to earlier has screen shots and bit rate info for each disc. The links are at the bottom of the page. The reviews are in French, but the technical specs are easy to pick out and the menu screenshots confirm that French subtitles are not forced.

As for the films themselves, if you like the old Charlie Chan, Sherlock Holmes, and Boston Blackie programmers you'll probably like these. I kind of prefer the Falcon series - I would love to have a box set of these - as George Sanders seems to be having more fun hamming it up in that role. The relationship between him and his various "fiancees" also liven the proceedings. And later on in the series, it's nice to see Val Lewton stock player Tom Conway (Sanders' real-life brother) as a heroic lead. I'll let you know how the Falcon discs are when they arrive.

junglalien 02-03-11 09:05 AM

Nowhere (Spain)
Green Ice (Spain)

http://i52.tinypic.com/5tuq2u.gif http://i55.tinypic.com/13yqsrr.gif

musicfann 02-03-11 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy (Post 10619620)

THE SAINT'S DOUBLE TROUBLE is a winner !

Caught it on TCM during a SAINT marathon...Bela Legosi puts in a good, solid performance, along with Sanders. The script is the usual crisp, terse dialogue and lots of unexpected twists and turns !

SethDLH 02-03-11 05:52 PM

So Sweet, So Dead (Italian Genre Collection) Germany

bdots48 02-05-11 05:53 AM

From Amazon.uk, All French films in honor of John Ewing, director of the Cleveland Cinematheque who was this week honored with the French equivalent of knighthood -
Rendez-Vous in Paris
Lourdes
Jeanne La Pucelle - Parts 1 &2