International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Can Anyone Get Me Good Deals on JET LI dvds???

Old 04-03-00, 11:48 PM

i am looking for:
-fist of legend
-once upon a china 1
-my father is a hero

or any other ones just let me know as i really wanna buy some Region 1 english dubbed and subbed preferablly...

thanks

drdvd
Old 04-04-00, 12:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by dr dvd:
i am looking for:
-fist of legend
-once upon a china 1
-my father is a hero

or any other ones just let me know as i really wanna buy some Region 1 english dubbed and subbed preferablly...

thanks

drdvd

I ordered about 10 Jet Li's DVD from HongKong site, they are region free and should has english subtitle. no above three in the list. but include JetLi's debut movie, which really shows his excellent KongFu without any computer processing, it is shot abround 1984. anyway if you are interested, give me a email. [email protected]
Old 04-04-00, 01:10 AM

fist of legend is available dubbed only at reel and other us stores for about 20.
my father is a hero is also available at reel for under 20. A dubbed only version is coming out soon (the enforcer)
OUATIC I good luck getting that in the states. It seems to be backordered everywhere. It also runs for 30+ everywhere.
Old 04-04-00, 05:19 AM

There's also a Taiwanese DVD of Fist Of Legend which is subtitled. I ordered mine at www.adrenafilm.de (but the site is in German) for about $30.
Old 04-04-00, 10:23 AM

the enforcer is the same thing as my father is a hero?

i am 15 and don't have a credit card is there anyone that i can send money to to get the 3 i listed from the cheapest place, i really want these, please post the sites too....

Raxel how much you pay for your titles in CD or USD.....thanks

drdvd
Old 04-04-00, 12:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dr dvd:
the enforcer is the same thing as my father is a hero?

i am 15 and don't have a credit card is there anyone that i can send money to to get the 3 i listed from the cheapest place, i really want these, please post the sites too....

Raxel how much you pay for your titles in CD or USD.....thanks

drdvd

it depends, some are only 10USD, some are over 20USD. I bet you don't know JetLi's movie well, fist of legend and my father is a hero, are just soso, once upon in china is good. JetLi has many other great movie actually. www.800.com has some, but I mainly buy JetLi's movie from HongKong and China site.
Old 04-04-00, 01:55 PM

k Raxel name the movies you recommend most for jet li for action and all around kung fu wise.....if i sent you money would you buy me some? let me know
Old 04-05-00, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's IMHO, some of the best Jet Li movies on DVDs:

Fist of Legend - released by Buena Vista here in the states, great picture quality but its badly dubbed and loses most of its flair. This DVD is also available by Ritek a Taiwanese distributor; picture quality is soso and subs are burned on the film. If you can find this title get the HK(import version).

My Father The Hero - released by Mei Ah and Buena Vista later on in April as "The Enforcer". The quality of the Mei Ah release is typical HK quality; a bit soft but picture is above average. From what I gather the Buena Vista will contain a new transfer/Dubbed . Again, If your a HK purist get the import and not the hack job by Disney.

The Hitman - Released by Mei Ah. One of my favorite Jet Li movies. Picture quality is above average and pretty cool action sequences. Available at Hivizone.com for $15.

Fong Sai Yuk I & II - Released by Universe. A period piece by Jet Li. Both films feature wire-fu action and some furious action sequences. Fong Sai Yuk I is available for $9 at Hivizone and Fong Sai Yuk II is out of print(if you have a local chinatown or something similar,its the best way to get this film,also available in vcd - if you really want it ).

Swordsman II - Released by Mei Ah. Again, one of Jet Li best. Featuring some incredible wire-fu and swords play.

Tai Chi Master - Released by Universe. Jet Li and Michelle Yeod stars in this film. The transfer quality is soso - bare bones DVD with burned-in sub on the print. Rumor has it this film will be rereleased in the future. Also, the DVD is OOP but still available in vcd for around $8-12.

Once Upon a Time in China I,II,III - Released by Megastar. Great movies with a lot of action. Available for $21-49 depending on internet store.
Other Jet Li movies:

High Risk - HK Die Hard version
Bodyguard from Beijing - HK version of the "The Bodyguard" very bad transfer - avoid at all cost - if you must have it - get it - hope for a remastered version in the future .
The Master
Born to Defense
Black Mask - Released by Artisan and Tai Seng Import(Mei Ah). Artisan release features great anamorphic transfer but sadly the film is cut and original movie soundtrack was replace w/rap and its dubbed .
Dr. Wai: Scriptures with no words
Kung Fu Colt Master
Last Hero in China
Shaolin Temple
Kids from Shaolin just to name a few.

HK Import Stores:
Hivizone - Great place to buy imports and right now they're having a sale. Typically takes them 2-3 weeks for items to arrive.
Itchee - Another great place to buy imports. Prices are bit higher compared to Hivizone but they do have a big selection.
YesAsia - San Francisco based importer(formerly AsiaCd.com). Has a limited selection and prices are closer to listed price than other sites. Currently has promo of free shipping on 3 items or more purchase.
OneAsia - Another HK based importer. Has a big selection on DVDs, VCDs, and CDs. Prices are very reasonable but shipping can take 2-5 weeks. If, you have the patiences to wait that long and prices are right then go for it. Otherwise, use the other stores.
Sazuma - Another importer. Has Japanese and HK DVDs prices are bit steep closer to list price. But does offer a big selection.

There's a couple more import stores but I can't remember them right now . Maybe, other members of this forum will enlighten us .

HK DVD resource sites:

Hong Kong Films on DVD - Excellent site to find out about HK DVDS.
Another Hong Kong Movie Page - Movie Review site with some DVD reviews thrown it .
HongKongMovieDatebase - Great resource on most HK films.
HongKong Cinema - A lot of reviews: sorted by genres, actors and actress,and some directors.

------------------
My Addiction
Old 04-06-00, 04:12 PM

I got you a deal at Mobshop.com formerly Accompany.com for Jet Li's "Fist of Legend".
http://www.mobshop.com/cycles?cycle_id=224787

If you're not familiar with Mobshop, It is a volume buy concept; the more people that get in on the deal the cheaper it gets. Currently, the price is at $18.95 shipped, but can get lower if more people jump in.

This DVD looks like the Tai Seng version and not the Buena Vista one, but I can't be sure.
Old 04-06-00, 08:54 PM

It's weird. The title of the dvd says Tai Seng but the picture is the Buena Vista version. Anyone know which one it is?
Old 04-06-00, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The picture on Mobshop seems to be for the vhs version of Fist of Legend.

Here's the DVD cover:

And here is the VHS cover:

------------------
My Addiction