Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Region 4 / Pal / Aus DVD bargain - 20% off all DVDs @ Chaosmusic

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Region 4 / Pal / Aus DVD bargain - 20% off all DVDs @ Chaosmusic

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-00, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.chaosmusic.com are having a 20% off sale till the end of March on all their dvds so that gives you about 36 hours to organise an order. For reference, 20% makes the Matrix 26.95 AUD, or ~ 16 USD. First time customers automatically get 5 AUD off their first order. Existing Chaosmusic customers who are residents of Australia can get themselves a coupon worth 5 AUD by filling out the survey located at http://survey.consultco.com/chaosmusic/m/ . This coupon expires at the end of March also. 1st time customers might be able to use both simultaneously, I'm not sure.

Sale also applies to music and games (although their game selection is pitiful).

Additional: For VISA card holders - "Every time you spend over $50 at ChaosMusic, 5% of the total amount purchased will be credited to your ChaosMusic account and will be deducted from your next order. This special offer for Visa card holders can also be used in conjunction with any of the other offers ChaosMusic runs from time to time." Not bad if you're a ChaosMusic regular.

Happy shopping!

Chris D

[This message has been edited by Chris_D (edited March 29, 2000).]
Old 03-29-00, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For those of us in Region 1 (but with the ability to play R4 titles), are there any DVDs that would be of interest? Titles that aren't available in R1?
Old 03-29-00, 08:50 PM

Isn't the Region 4 verson of Pulp Fiction better? They have the Special Edition though I ordered it a couple of months ago and it's still backordered.
By the way, I got the code surv11. Is that what everyone else got, just to save people having to plough through that boring survey
Old 03-29-00, 08:53 PM

I think the X Files Movie, like the Region 2 version has a commentary or making of that the Region 1 doesn't have.
Old 03-29-00, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Try Michael D's Guide to Region 4 DVDs. This seems like a fairly good site for covering Region 4 dvds also they have a fairly extensive section comparing R1 vs R4 releases.

Region 4 Winners and Losers http://www.MichaelDVD.melb.net/R4vsR1/R4vsR1.html

Michael D's Guide to Region 4 DVDs http://www.MichaelDVD.melb.net/

Btw, even if your player is modified to play Region 4 you may want to first check that it can play PAL discs. I picked up somewhere that some US players are NTSC only.

Chris D
Old 03-29-00, 09:59 PM

I filled in the survey and was wary that the message at the end said it couldn't be used with any other offer and had to be used by the end of the month. This would be pretty stupid when the 20% off everything runs for that time as well. Anyway, I put something in the cart to test it and it immediately came up "Special Discount Total $5.50" for the @0%. I then put the code from the survey in. It now said "Special Discount Total $10.50" but the actual total only showed the $5 off coupon being applied. Then the site went down so I don't know any more.
Old 03-30-00, 05:10 PM

Has anyone had any experience with this store?
I cannot find any mention of them on several Region 4 review sites.
Would like some reassurance they exist!
Thanks.
Old 03-30-00, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may want to check out this Australian forum before you buy. There have been some bad reports about Chaos Music.

DVD Plaza http://www.dvdplaza.com.au/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

I took advantage of the special offer and it worked out pretty well, I saved about AUD30. I ordered Total Recall, Ghostbusters and a CD. Total Recall and the CD turned up within a couple of days but Ghostbusters took two weeks even though it said it was in stock.

The reports I've read from other customers have said that some DVD's appear to be second-hand. Mine were unsealed but they looked new so I don't know if I was lucky or they were unlucky.

If you're looking for interesting R4 movies you might want to check out Jackie Brown and Total Recall. They are both anamorphic and (I think) not available elsewhere.

------------------
Glennza
Adelaide, Australia
------------------------
Those little golden birdies, look at them.

[This message has been edited by Glennza (edited March 30, 2000).]
Old 03-30-00, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mark Bennett:
Has anyone had any experience with this store?
I cannot find any mention of them on several Region 4 review sites.
Would like some reassurance they exist!
Thanks.
<HR>

So far I've made and received 3 seperate orders, the first 2 for music, the 3rd for dvds. No major problems encounted and their customer service is quite responsive (via email). The DVD order consisted of 3 titles and although they were a bit slow to get them in, they've been shipping them seperately for no additional cost (received 2 so far). I've also had the experience with receiving DVDs unsealed, but visibly as good as new. It doesn't really bother me although I imagine some people would prefer the peace of mind of receiving them sealed (or to conduct whatever B&M scam they have planned). The packaging is dodgey, basically CDUniverse style, not a hard cardboard box. I don't know whether they might use better packaging for international shipping, it's possible. My orders were just shipped between states.

So yeah, basically they do exist, they do ship stuff, but there are a couple of drawbacks. Decide for yourself.

Chris D

[This message has been edited by Chris_D (edited March 30, 2000).]
Old 03-30-00, 07:25 PM

anyone know if they have Eyes Wide Shut in region 4 so we can see the movie without the blocked CGI addins?
Old 03-30-00, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

HELP! Been looking for an Aussie who can help a diehard AFL fan in the States find out where I can get DVD or VHS copies that will play in NTSC of some footy. I really want the 1996 grand final when my Roos won it all...( and I missed seeing it live by 2 days as the Grand Final was the night before my wedding and we didn't get down under until after)
Old 03-30-00, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by xcheckers:
HELP! Been looking for an Aussie who can help a diehard AFL fan in the States find out where I can get DVD or VHS copies that will play in NTSC of some footy. I really want the 1996 grand final when my Roos won it all...( and I missed seeing it live by 2 days as the Grand Final was the night before my wedding and we didn't get down under until after)<HR>

I don't fancy your chances of getting an NTSC copy. Also to get a PAL copy wouldn't be cheap, I just did a rough calculation. To order it from dstore.com.au would be 27.45 + 22 shipping ~= $30 US.

I reckon your cheapest bet is to get a very good friend in Aus who has a capture card to buy the PAL tape for you and encode it to VCD.

Chris D
Old 03-31-00, 12:06 AM

I placed 2 orders around 2 months ago. They sent wrong version of Heat. I received some bizarre region 1 version of Heat produced by Andy Warhol :-( Finally sent the correct version and returned the crappy one. Still waiting for my region 4 version of Contact ordered at the same time.
Old 03-31-00, 12:30 AM

Well I would suggest you all get region four copy of MAD MAX with out the F%^&ing Dubbing turning the movie into a piece of ^%$#

Yeah let me know if you can get the 95 grand final on DVD, Kangaroos sux bad man Carey is a Wan@%#r C'arn the blues! Yeah Yeah shut up you beat us last year

Seriously Thanks for posting I am glad to here there is some hope of discounting in land of OZ as I am stocking up on DVD bargins before I head back. Matrix for free in the US he he!

By the way do you have a region free player?? If so how much

Sorry guys just a bit excited about an aussie on the forum!
Old 04-02-00, 07:34 PM
Registered

Moving to new International DVD Forum Area

Geoff
Old 04-03-00, 09:36 PM
Cool New Member

Order from ChaosMusic at your own risk! I ordered 3 DVD's during a previous special offer. The prices were excellent, but I decided it wasn't worth it when the first movie arrived with the WRONG COVER! Plus the disc was covered in dust and fingerprints. Needless to say, the movie was not sealed, and ditto for the second. I have sent both movies back and cancelled the order and am still waiting for a refund. Also, their shipping times are pathetic.

Sometimes a good deal is not worth the hassle.
Old 04-04-00, 04:23 PM

I just want to say that I've had really good service from Chaos Music. I ordered 4 DVDs during their Leap Year promotion, and 3 of them arrived in the UK from Australia within 4 days (amazing, bearing in mind it was free shipping during the promotion). One DVD was delayed, but they replied to my emails within a day and chased their supplier to make sure I received it ASAP. 2 friends had a similar good experience too.