Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (2010 Palm d'Or winner)DVD soon? THAI

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (2010 Palm d'Or winner)DVD soon? THAI

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-10, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

plot
The film centers on the last days in the life of its title character. Together with his loved ones – including the ghost of his dead wife and his lost son who has returned in a non-human form – Boonmee explores his past lives as he contemplates the reasons for his illness.

The premise seems so far out there,that i wanna see it, and was wondering if anyone (toddly?) have seen it yet and if theres word on a dvd
Old 07-12-10, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (2010 Palm d'Or winner)DVD soon? THAI

Rypro 525, this I know: The film has been sold to more than 40 territories so far. Strand Releasing (USA) plans for a spring 2011 release for the U.S.. I know, I know you're interested in the dvd release date. Hopefully a Thai dvd will be forthcoming, and one with English subtitles.
Old 07-13-10, 01:41 AM

Re: Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (2010 Palm d'Or winner)DVD soon? THAI

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Uncle-Boonme...dp/B003NNVNC0/
Old 07-13-10, 01:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plenty of time until the release to visit some of Weerasethakul's earlier works.
Old 11-21-10, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BUMP

English-friendly DVD releasing out of South Korea on November 24th...as per a listing at k2dvd.com.
Old 11-21-10, 09:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

even though it won the Palme D'Or I still think 'Syndromes and A Century' was a much more satisfying movie (IMO) - Uncle Boonmee felt a tad to derivative and less effective than his other films.
Old 02-07-11, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, so I too am pining to see this. I blogged about it here:
http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2011...ives/#comments
You will see it includes comments, as someone from Strand Releasing posted that it will indeed come to US theaters in March.

I got even more specific info from the film's UK distributor:

UNCLE BOONMEE opens in the US on March 4 via Strand. I believe simultaneously in NY, LA and San Francisco. For sure, they will be doing a dvd or Blu-Ray release in due course. They have a wild poster designed by Chris Ware.

all best

Simon

-- Simon Field
Illuminations Films
So no secure date on the DVD or Blu-ray, but, as I noted in my blog, Amazon has reserve pages set up for the release.

Indeed, as CritterYawn notes, patience is in order for the physical release. I personally would love to see it on a big screen in35 mm, my preferred format, but I wonder about the chances of it appearing in Miami. But, again echoing the Critter, plenty of time to revisit some of W's earlier works, which certainly reward repeat viewings.
Old 02-07-11, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by slowcloud
OK, so I too am pining to see this. I blogged about it here:
http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2011...ives/#comments
You will see it includes comments, as someone from Strand Releasing posted that it will indeed come to US theaters in March.

I got even more specific info from the film's UK distributor:

So no secure date on the DVD or Blu-ray, but, as I noted in my blog, Amazon has reserve pages set up for the release.

Indeed, as CritterYawn notes, patience is in order for the physical release. I personally would love to see it on a big screen in 35mm, my preferred format, but I wonder about the chances of it appearing in Miami. But, again echoing the Critter, plenty of time to revisit some of W's earlier works, which certainly reward repeat viewings.
I am really surprised that this isn't being shown at next month's Miami International Film Festival - the fact that this film received the Palm D'Or and Strand isn't giving the film festivals a print is a major disservice to the film.

oddly, for the Virginia Film Festival the film was shown digitally - which I thought really didn't work to the film's advantage - it was as if the movie was shot with DV cameras (the film was in fact shot in Super 16) On a side note, Strand Releasing is the US distributor, Strand's only other digital release was 'Cherry Blossoms' which was shot with HiDef cameras - that looked great via a Sony 4K projector system at Landmark's E Street theatre - I'm curious to know if Strand will be releasing this, I assume, digitally and 35mm prints.
Old 02-08-11, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

UK BD and UK DVD March 28th. Region Code TBA

Old 02-08-11, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
I am really surprised that this isn't being shown at next month's Miami International Film Festival - the fact that this film received the Palm D'Or and Strand isn't giving the film festivals a print is a major disservice to the film.

oddly, for the Virginia Film Festival the film was shown digitally - which I thought really didn't work to the film's advantage - it was as if the movie was shot with DV cameras (the film was in fact shot in Super 16) On a side note, Strand Releasing is the US distributor, Strand's only other digital release was 'Cherry Blossoms' which was shot with HiDef cameras - that looked great via a Sony 4K projector system at Landmark's E Street theatre - I'm curious to know if Strand will be releasing this, I assume, digitally and 35mm prints.
You know, I looked at the Miami Film Fest program guide in hopes of seeing it in the program. Nope, it's not there. They have gone more Latin-centric. I used to work there for several seasons within programming. I've seen many program directors come and go, and no one gets a chance to really build relationships with distributors. It's a typical Miami mess.

As for the format at the screenings, I will ask. You'll have more luck seeing it in DC than I will in Miami, that's for sure.
Old 02-08-11, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, I heard back from Strand regarding some of your questions, Giles, and I asked about Miami, for my part. Here is what Brandon told me:

No problem! The film will be screened both on 35mm and digital formats.

We don't have any booked screenings in Miami at the moment but we do have contacts at all of those cinemas.
Though, is Miami Beach Cinema the same as the Miami Beach Cinematheque?

The Miami International Film Festival decided to pass on the film since there has been so much play off of the film already. They were more concerned about screening newer titles on the festival circuit.

You are welcome to suggest the title to your favorite of the cinemas below. I actually do not know if they have already contacted us about it. They may have. I personally handle all non-theatrical screenings here. I know that the theatrical dept has been putting people on hold for booking the film until we see how it opens.

And an insider tip for you..
Keep your eyes on NY Magazine's Vulture page online today..

Best,
Brandon Peters
Strand Releasing
What is that last line about? Check out the US theatrical poster by Chris Ware (shows Strand is indeed taking this movie seriously to commission such a fancy graphic artist for such a unique poster, and it gives me high hopes for the movie's presentation in the theaters and DVD/Blu-ray):
Old 02-08-11, 11:39 PM

^ last line - no idea.

the pic you posted isn't displaying properly.

here's Vulture's website link, with the poster displayed:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...ee_poster.html
Old 02-09-11, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
^ last line - no idea.

the pic you posted isn't displaying properly.

here's Vulture's website link, with the poster displayed:

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment...ee_poster.html
That was weird. It showed for me when I posted it, but now I do not see it. Anyway, yes, that was what I'm talking about.
Old 04-04-11, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, so Brandon at Strand just verified this will be out on DVD and BR sometime after June or so.

Plus, that was the format one of my area art houses showed it on. Yes, I finally got to see it!

The cinema's director invited me to a preview screening (he actually locked me alone in the theater with it rolling while he and his staff were out between screenings, and I diligently sat front and center with no one else to watch this thing unroll but me). He asked me to review it before it began it's all too-short 3-night run at his theater after he saw my earlier blog post pining to see this movie.

So, on the giant screen, in Blu-Ray, I must say Strand has done a great job. I mean, to my 35-mm obsessed eyes, it did look obviously digital (there is that thin halo lining some images, when I looked for it, otherwise I was so distracted by the genius filmmaking these issues easily became unnoticed). But I am one of those weirdos who finds inherent flaws in BR, for all its hype. Let me say, what did stand out on a positive note about the format was the sound. There are some amazing and unsettling moments of sound design in the picture that were captured with insane quality (then again, I was in a movie theater). Anyway, I touch on it all in my review, so check it out:
http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2011...is-past-lives/
Old 04-04-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

UK BD review

The disc itself is region free, but the main feature is presented in 50hz, bonus material is presented in PAL.