Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

international wholesalers?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 05-12-10, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but if so I can't find the relevant thread. I have a small store in Los Angeles, and want to carry dvds from England, specifically Masters of Cinema and BFI titles. Are there any retailers reading this who can recommend a distributor to work with in bringing UK titles to the US? Thanks!
Old 05-13-10, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: international wholesalers?

There must be a good legal reason (tied to licensing) why there aren't such wholesalers. Also there's the DVD zoning issue, which I assume you are aware of.
Old 05-13-10, 12:07 PM

critter, yes, I am aware of the zoning issue and laws. but there are US retailers both online and physical that carry imported dvds. surely, they are ordering from somewhere.
Old 05-14-10, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have no background with regard to this but maybe try e-mailing some of the UK labels bfi.org.uk, eurekavideo.co.uk, secondrundvd.com, etc.,...maybe they can point you to a wholesaler or maybe you can somehow work directly through them. If that fails maybe try e-mailing Tony over at Ohio-based xploitedcinema.com. He is closing up shop there but he used to import DVDs from many places in Europe including the UK. Maybe he can offer some insight.

As an outsider I wonder how profitable an endeavor like this might be for you though...there are plentiful and affordable buying options for people to import on their own from places such as Amazon UK, Masters of Cinema direct sales, etc. That being said, I haven't a clue as to your specific customer base and their requirements...so I'll just keep quiet. Best wishes.
Old 05-14-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For dealing import DVDs, I'm assuming it goes like this:
1. You contact an international dvd seller and tell them you would want to sell a dvd that they have.
2. You advertise that dvd at your store. If someone wants to buy it, that international DVD store will either send it to you or to the buyer directly. Then you get a small percentage of the sale, and the majority of the sale would go to that original international DVD store.

If you don't do it this way, then I'm assuming you would have to purchase the whole dvd and sell it for more to make profit.
Old 05-14-10, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

There have been stores that carry DVDs from other regions: Virgin Megastore did for a while, and Kim's here in NYC has carried DVDs from all over the world for many years now. Don't have a clue where they get them, but there's obviously a way.
Old 05-14-10, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by marty888
There have been stores that carry DVDs from other regions: Virgin Megastore did for a while, and Kim's here in NYC has carried DVDs from all over the world for many years now. Don't have a clue where they get them, but there's obviously a way.
I'm happy that Kim's is carrying import dvds again. They mainly specialize in DVDs from the UK and Australia, which is pretty awesome. The prices on their import DVDs are so much cheaper than what they used to be.
Old 05-15-10, 05:14 AM

Please tell more about such places where import DVDs do sell. Some time ago I came up with a garden variety criterion for assessing the cultural openness in a given community, based on the volume and quality of the foreign section films at the local Blockbuster. While in my redneck zip code there were only a few titles, mostly action flicks, in another zip code, near a Tier 1 university campus, there were even a few titles that Netflix doesn't carry.