Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Thailand's THE SANCTUARY PAL DVD now available

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, a new Thai movie released with English subtitles on Thai DVD. How rare! That's either a change for new Thai movies released on Thai dvd or they just release the stinkers with English subtitles. We will see!

I haven't heard much about this one except that it looks as good or as bad as Chocolate or Raging Phoenix or any other typical Thai martial arts film. For 10 bucks, I'll give it shot. It's got Russel Wong in the film playing an evil American - I'm always curious to see if his lack of acting skills has evolved into some decent acting.

The Sanctuary is also starring Mike B., some other new up-and-coming Thai martial arts dude. He did some stunts in Ong Bak and Born to Fight. It also stars two famous Thai actresses - one of them I have no idea if it's a tranny or not.

Anamorphic, Thai DD 5.1, and English subtitles for 10 bucks at http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=50989

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gJF1Wth2r-0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gJF1Wth2r-0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by toddly6666; 01-14-10 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-27-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Thailand's THE SANCTUARY PAL DVD now available

So I just finished watching THE SANCTUARY last night, and I was pleasantly surprised that it is a watchable B-movie. I haven't been able to complete the last bunch of Thai movies I've tried to watch (ONK BAK 2 and that pirate movie), and the last one that I fully watched, CHOCOLATE, was pretty bad.

THE SANCTUARY is worth seeing for the cinematography, the lensing, and for the action. The look of the film was very nice. And the main two actors, Mike B. and the girl, were actually decent actors. Mike B. is a bit flamboyant but not as flamboyant as Tony Jaa. And he's a better actor than Tony Jaa. The main girl was very cute and is good enough. The action is pretty-much non-stop, very well filmed. The best fight actually comes in the beginning of the movie. It's an aerobic fight on top of a pile of used cars.

The bad thing about this movie is:
1. it seemed like half the film was in English, which means that Thai/foreign actors trying to speak English is just bad, bad, bad.
2. all the villains acting in this film were awful. Russel Wong didn't let me down - he's his usual awful bad-acting self. His sidekicks are played by some ass-kicking European dude, a Russian dude, and a gay Thai dude - all acting awful.

But overall, it's a very entertaining movie and it had a very nice pace with a somewhat decent story.

The Thai DVD was probably the most impressive Thai dvd I've seen in ages. The anamorphic video was really great, and the DD 5.1 Thai sounded good as well. The extras were just some trailers and a music video.

MOVIE: 7 (but definitely curved since I've been disappointed with recent Thai action flicks)
DVD VIDEO: 8.5
DVD AUDIO: 8.5
EXTRAS: 3