Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's HOT in European cinema right now?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

What's HOT in European cinema right now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-10, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What's HOT in European cinema right now?

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Anyone see or hear of a movie called Terribly Happy? Its playing next week at the E street landmark theater, and was Denmark's selection for this years Acadamy Awards
In this twisted, darkly comic thriller, Robert Hanson (Jakob Cedergren) is a Copenhagen police officer who, following a nervous breakdown, is transferred to a small provincial town to take on the mysteriously vacated Marshal position. He subsequently gets mixed up with a married femme fatale (Lene Maria Christensen) who comes to him for help with her domestic problems. But can she be trusted? Robert’s big city temperament makes it impossible for him to fit in, or understand the uncivilized, bizarre behavior displayed by the townspeople. Quickly spiraling downward into an intense fable reminiscent of the Coen Brothers’ Blood Simple and No Country for Old Men, Terribly Happy displays a unique, often macabre vision of the darkest depths to which people will go to achieve a sense of security and belonging. Denmark’s official Oscar selection and winner of 19 international awards, including the Silver Hugo (for director/co-writer Henrik Ruben Genz) at the Chicago International Film Festival.
Saw this one at the Cleveland Int'l Film Festival last year where it was one of the favorites of the week. A mystery/drama which was lynchian weird which is a good thing.
Old 02-18-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nitin77
Just cam back from A Prophet, in short modern crime classic.
Originally Posted by eXcentris
Yup, fantastic film!
I was just checking in this thread to see if anyone had seen it, I'm going to watch it later today.

The reviews for this are overwhelmingly positive that I can see. I just saw this film on RT this morning with 46 good to 1 negative and knew I had to see it.
Old 02-18-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts

Check out "De battre mon coeur s'est arrêté" (2005), also by Audiard, if you haven't seen it. He's really turning into a brilliant director.
Old 02-18-10, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flixtime,

Left Bank sounds like the Korean film "Sorum" which also took place in a strange appartment complex and was heavy on atmosphere and light on action/gore horror. I quite liked "Sorum" actually. So is it similar?
eXcentris, I haven't watched SORUM. But looking again at the reviews, I'd say "yes" they are pretty similar in terms of style/tone of the presentation. However, the stories do seem to be different. LEFT BANK being an offshoot of something like ROSEMARY'S BABY would be a good description to begin with. At the same time, LEFT BANK does have a fair bit of nudity and other elements which perhaps make it akin to something maybe the Italians might have done in the 70's...so ROSEMARY'S BABY via 70's Italian cult cinema...but without the stylish visuals/music found in older Italian genre films...aka a more grounded visual presentation like SORUM appears to be. Not sure if that helps any, but that's how I'd describe it. LEFT BANK is slower-paced and more about the characters/mystery/atmosphere than it is about action/gore for sure...though being a horror film you do get a bit of both plus the nudity/sex scene...but if you liked SORUM you might find LEFT BANK of interest (as well as the recent Korean horror film POSSESSED aka LIVING DEATH aka DISBELIEF HELL aka - and what I think is the best title - FAITH).

And as luck would have it...and unfortunately short notice that I just realized it...but LEFT BANK is airing on SUNDANCE CHANNEL in the U.S. tonight at 10pm...it looks like the only airing scheduled as of now. For those with access to SUNDANCE, it'd be a great chance to sample it.
Old 02-18-10, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

'A Prophet' was damn good. Only problem I had
Spoiler:
was the director putting a 'threatening' weapon, one with a clearly jammed round trapped by the slide, in that scene in the basement when he makes the first 'leave' delivery for 'the man'.

That's a technical thing I suppose, but it's just so freaking blatant. That actor pulled that slide and I heard the jam, then it stays right there in the frame with a clearly visible jammed round in a close up, and no one noticed? You could even digitally clean it up if that particular take had the 'something' the director liked. It took me out of the film at that point, almost like a boom mic drifting into the frame and bopping someone on the head.

Check out "De battre mon coeur s'est arrêté" (2005), also by Audiard, if you haven't seen it. He's really turning into a brilliant director.
Is there a kind of unspoken rule that you use the 'fancy' title to foreign movies here? If you had just posted 'The Beat That My Heart Skipped' I would have known the film right off.

Old 02-19-10, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

excentris,

I thoroughly enjoyed both Beat my Heart Skipped and Read My Lips. But this was raising his game to another level.

Dr Mabuse,

haha, I was way too caught up in the film to notice that.
Old 02-19-10, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,262 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Is there a kind of unspoken rule that you use the 'fancy' title to foreign movies here? If you had just posted 'The Beat That My Heart Skipped' I would have known the film right off.

Haha! Sorry, I don't do it on purpose. But I'm french speaking and a lot of French films get released here in good ol' Québec. More often than not, I don't even know what the english title is. But I don't do this for films in other languages. Just a habit I guess.

flixtime, thanks for info and the recommendation.
Old 02-19-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no way, the first is a guilty pleasure of mine! Link?
Old 02-21-10, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

flixtime, thanks for info and the recommendation.
Sure thing...and one more point in regard to LEFT BANK...it's significantly better than THE HOUSE OF THE DEVIL..."yes" I needed to vent.
Old 02-22-10, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by flixtime
Sure thing...and one more point in regard to LEFT BANK...it's significantly better than THE HOUSE OF THE DEVIL..."yes" I needed to vent.
I checked Left Bank out the other day (on Sundance) and enjoyed it immensely. Just wondering - can someone explain the ending to me? (It seemed to take an esoteric left turn at the end.)
Old 02-22-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I found 'Fish Tank' to be excellent.

I was surprised how much I liked that film.
Old 02-22-10, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bdots48
I checked Left Bank out the other day (on Sundance) and enjoyed it immensely. Just wondering - can someone explain the ending to me? (It seemed to take an esoteric left turn at the end.)
Watched it a while ago so my recollection is a bit hazy but I'll give it a go (aka don't click the spoiler button if you haven't seen the film yet):

Spoiler:
The ending - while headspinning at first - is actually laid out during the film...but perhaps in a rather subtle manner as the viewer is more focused on other aspects of the move. The first key scene I recall is the one where the boyfriend of the missing woman - Hella - comes to visit Marie (the female lead). He comes to pick up a box of Hella's stuff that he had declined earlier (I believe). During this scene he explains a bit about the location of the apartment building and how it used to be an old church (I think) and the mysterious hole in the ground, and how the official Christian church labelled it as the Devil's Vagina (or something close to that). Basically he speaks of the mythology of the place. Another scene is later when Marie goes to his place and he again speaks about the coming All Saints Day and its significance, and how it relates to Celtic/Pagan folklore and how the hole that opens at that time was considered some kind of opening to the spiritual/mystic world. Also during this scene, Hella's boyfriend learns from Marie that Hella had been pregnant as Marie shows him a Pregnancy for Dummies book that belonged to Hella. Then in another scene they both go to do some research and the archivist shows them old photos and explains again about the land where the apartment building is located and he explains about the Archers Guild (to which Marie's new boyfriend belongs) and how the folklore is that they sacrificed young girls on that ground in old days as an offering for a good harvest (or something like that). This explanation plays to viewer expectations of the mysterious hole/land being a place to fear...fear of the unknown. The earlier two scenes kind of get glanced over by viewers because maybe we are conditioned not to believe in such silly superstition. And remember how tough Marie's life is and she tells her boyfriend how she wishes she could start over. Later in a a scene where he holds her captive near the end, he even reiterates to her that she herself stated that wish and that his intentions are to help her. So this Pagan/Celtic/Archers Guild - in the movie - do indeed have true powers, and because of the boyfriend's love for Marie, he "sacrifices" her to grant her her wish at a better next life...the end shows Marie being born again and her mother is Hella (the woman who disappeared at the start of the movie). So, we as viewers are conditioned to approach this sort of material as horror, just like the official Christian church feared (did not understand/did not accept/did not tolerate) the old religious ways as seen by their naming of the land/hole as the Devil's Vagina (or whatever it was called, I don't remember exactly). So it really isn't a horror movie afterall. I really liked the ending as I was expecting a standard horror ending, but the way they handled the ending really makes you reconsider everything you watched, and in a way how you as a viewer were maybe conditioned to approach the story with fear/dread. Like I said, it's a headspinner of an ending but it really was laid out throughout the movie...if approached with an open mind and a willingness to consider it...as opposed to being like the Church/archivist/etc. who only saw danger in what they didn't understand.

So bdots48 that's about the best I can remember without again revisiting the film...I think the above is a decent representation of my take on things when I first watched it.
Old 02-27-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found 'Fish Tank' to be excellent.

I was surprised how much I liked that film.
I just watched Fish Tank on Time Warner HD On Demand (which was annoying that it was shown in Full Screen - was this filmed in widescreen?)

Totally entertaining low class film. It is like any other of those hyped up low class flicks - 8 mile , precious, Freedom Writers , even similar to An Education.

Good movie, but onlu worth watching once.
Old 02-28-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1:33:1 is OAR.

It was made for British television I think, not positive about that but I've seen that mentioned somewhere.

The lead actress had never acted before in anything, and her performance made the film for me. She was discovered arguing with her boyfriend at a train station, and apparently her real life is not all that different than the character she portrays.

I really liked it.
Old 03-02-10, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The White Ribbon in theaters this friday (at least in my area)
Old 03-02-10, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks to Flixtime for the explanation of Left Bank. Makes sense to me.
Old 03-02-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Die Tür aka The Door

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1223934/

Not sure whether this German thriller is a great movie or not. Or when it will be released in the US and Europe. According to some reviews, it should deliver some good thrills, though.

Nevertheless, it´s already availble from eThaiCD with English subtitles.

http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=51918
Old 03-02-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Haven't seen Die Tür but the director made some pretty horrible movies in the past.
Old 08-10-10, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
anyone heard of a movie called "Police, Adjective" its playing in dc next week, and was wondering if it was worthy of making a drive down there to see it

"Romania’s official Oscar selection and winner of a 2009 Cannes Jury Prize and FIPRESCI international critics’ prize, writer/director Corneliu Porumboiu’s whip-smart, dryly funny follow-up to his acclaimed debut 12:08 East of Bucharest centers on a police officer on a surveillance mission who has a crisis of faith. Cristi (Dragos Bucur) is a young undercover cop pressured to arrest a teenager who offers pot to two of his schoolmates. Not wanting to ruin the life of a young man he considers merely irresponsible, Cristi must either allow the arrest to be a burden on his conscience, or face censure by his superior (Vlad Ivanov of 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days) for whom the word “conscience” has an entirely different meaning. Porumboiu wields his camera like a well-aimed weapon, revealing his story with little dialogue and gradually increasing tension, until the unexpected conclusion."
Originally Posted by toddly6666
Police Adjective is also playing on TIME WARNER HD Movies.
Police, Adjective is showing tonight on the Sundance Channel here in the U.S....a 10pm start time, with a repeat airing a few hours later, and again on August 18th and 28th (for those who are too late in reading this post).

Here's a snippet of Roger Ebert's review:
This may not sound exciting, but it was welcome after legions of cop movies in which such arguments are orchestrated with the f-word.

Given some comments I've made in another thread, I might find this film rather refreshing.
Old 08-12-10, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just watched the copy of Police, Adjective I recorded the other night. I quite enjoyed it. Now if you had asked me my opinion around forty minutes into things...well...let's just say it did take a while to see the light at the end of the tunnel and get what the director was going for. There sure was a whole lot of not much (at least it initially felt that way) during the opening third or more of the film (and throughout too to be candid)...lots and lots of walking, and more walking, and even more walking, and standing, and lingering over stagnant frames...but ultimately the technique proved effective I'd have to say. The film rewards viewer time invested in superficially-judged not much, by paying off via a handful of key dialogue-driven scenes...maybe even a case of the whole being significantly greater than the sum of the parts.

Now, of course you might head into this expecting a cop film, and yeah there is a cop and he is conducting an investigation...and the first two genre tags over at IMDb show "crime" and "drama"...but it really isn't a cop/crime film at all...maybe approach it more as a socio-political commentary, both poignant and more memorably during a handful of scenes very, very, very amusing...I appreciate the laughs the film delivered while at the same time acknowledging the underlying sadness of it all.

For those who have/or plan to see the movie, the dinner/song scene was a true favorite of recent times.
Old 08-19-10, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Snabba Cash was released in Sweden January 15th 2010 and became a smash-hit with more than 600.000 tickets sold. The Swedish action-thriller is based on the novel by the same name. A US-remake by Warner Bros. is in the works with Zac Efron producing and starring.

The Swedish DVD & Blu-ray is already available, however, a barebone release. Swedish and Norwegian subtitles, only.
Old 08-19-10, 07:47 AM

Next year's Romanian official Oscar selection will be released in November for the subscribers of Film Movement:
http://www.filmmovement.com/filmcata...chandiseID=242
Old 08-21-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dane
Snabba Cash was released in Sweden January 15th 2010 and became a smash-hit with more than 600.000 tickets sold. The Swedish action-thriller is based on the novel by the same name. A US-remake by Warner Bros. is in the works with Zac Efron producing and starring.

The Swedish DVD & Blu-ray is already available, however, a barebone release. Swedish and Norwegian subtitles, only.
I'm anxious for someone to get the English subs done so I can watch this.
Old 08-22-10, 03:04 AM

I make an exception from my own rule to agree with this, especially because this Audiard's film is, surprise, a remake after an American one. The original is James Toback's "Fingers".
(credits to film critic Alex Leo Serban for this info)
Old 09-20-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dane

Finally saw this and I really liked it.

I recommend it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.