International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Departures (Okuribito) on DVD

Old 07-14-09, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Departures (Okuribito) on DVD

There are a few interntional releases, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong, and so far only the Hong Kong has English subtitles.

The 2 disc set spreads the minimal extras to disc 2, making space for a DTS track not available on the original Japanese release.

Also, on the HK extras, the 30 minute making-of is also subtitled in English (and your choice of Japanese or Chinese dubbed, it's pretty rare to see a dub option on a making of.....)
But the deleted scenes are not subtitled.

available at most etailers like www.yesasia.com , www.play-asia.com , www.hkflix.com etc
Old 07-15-09, 02:26 AM

Re: Departures (Okuribito) on DVD

yeah, picked it up. arrived yesterday. may watch tonight.
Old 07-21-09, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watched the Hong Kong version last night and found the image to be very strong. My wife thought it was a powerful film, I found it to be more than a bit manipulative in the scenes with his father. The subtitles were also particularly good I thought. Haven't watched the supplements yet.
Old 08-11-09, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was pleasantly surprised by how comically amusing this was during the opening forty percent of the film. Good thing they went that route or I really would have been emotionally spent by the end of things. I liked the film a lot, and it hit some emotional buttons for me. I got rather misty-eyed during a few scenes...the first one ending at maybe the fifty-seven minute mark (the best sequence in the film). But I'm a bit of a big chump when it comes to being easily moved by something relatively commercial like this that is engineered to play to your emotions. And while I suppose it could be debated, I do think DEPARTURES was a rather commercial film, despite the unusual subject matter. For me, I might put forth that the true emotional climax to the film actually comes with the conclusion of another subplot that happens just prior to the actual closing piece in the film. So I was pretty much drained by the time we got around to the actual climax of the film. I can easily see how some might feel the film is simply a mass-appeal tearjerker (aka "manipulative" as mentioned in the previous post by dmkb), and maybe it did go overboard in that direction by perhaps not ending 10-15 minutes earlier. All said though, I thought the 130-minute runtime moved along really well. I love it when films such as this, and Yoji Yamada's KABEI and others have confidence in their story and characters, and don't feel the need for flashy camerawork, editing, etc. to agitate the audience into feeling things they are not able to create with good old-fashioned vanilla storytelling.
Old 01-24-10, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Region 1 DVD review