Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Russ Meyer Collection - £38.97 at Amazon.uk

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid much more for this, but maybe there are people out there who don't have it yet. Hurry, the price fluxuates like mad.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Russ-Meyer-C...8692434&sr=1-1
Old 04-02-09, 12:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Russ Meyer Collection - £38.97 at Amazon.uk

Sold! 18 films for 56 bucks!
Old 04-02-09, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Highly recommend this set

Bought it for $120 earlier this year and definitely happy with it
Old 04-02-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll give another recommendation. DON'T FORGET TO CHECK THE EXTRAS ON THE SINGLE FEATURE DISCS! Mondo Topless ain't a great film, but the Jonathon Ross Show extra is awesome!
Old 04-02-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Excellent bargain. 18 uplifting classics!
Old 04-02-09, 10:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by noirfan
excellent bargain. 18 uplifting classics!
boing!
Old 04-03-09, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A great price - and I've considered a big Russ Meyer purchase on several occasions - but do I remember correctly that the Arrow discs are improperly pre-converted NTSC>PAL transfers that have an excessive amount of ghosting/blurring?
Old 04-03-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I took part in this screaming hot deal. Order Total minus VAT plus shipping costs to United States: GBP 36.97 / USD 56.44

(So, be sure to brace yourselves for the imminent announcement of blu-ray releases transferred from the original, restored elements!)

I looked around a bit, and this seems to be - by far - the best buying option. The domestic DVDs released by RM Films are mostly out-of-print, though available from some sources, and lack the tasty looking special features on the Arrow dvds. Plus, they're expensive as hell, and always were. It appears that all these releases (including those in R4, etc.) are sourced from the same laserdisc transfers. There have been reports of "motion jitter" on the Arrow dvds (unpreconverted ntsc>pal transfer ghosting?), but other reports limiting this to certain DVD players with poor PAL>NTSC conversion.

The best discussion I could find regarding the quality of the transfers is
here (yes, it begins as a discussion of the domestic releases, but quickly moves onto the Arrow discs).

Last edited by Richard Malloy; 04-03-09 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-03-09, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
A great price - and I've considered a big Russ Meyer purchase on several occasions - but do I remember correctly that the Arrow discs are improperly pre-converted NTSC>PAL transfers that have an excessive amount of ghosting/blurring?
I seriously doubt that RM Films has the money for a full on restoration of these and these are the same masters used for the US discs which cost like $40 each. Do they look pristine? No. Will they ever? I'd say it is a stretch that anyone will do any sort of upgrade on this as I don't see RM Films selling the rights. I enjoy these transfers and probably better extras than any American company would be able to come up with. Take the plunge.
Old 04-17-09, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

My set arrived yesterday. (It was backordered for a week). The packaging is great. I'll probably start watching the movies this weekend.
Old 04-20-09, 10:41 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Peep
I paid much more for this, but maybe there are people out there who don't have it yet. Hurry, the price fluxuates like mad.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Russ-Meyer-C...8692434&sr=1-1

Just grabbed it and its the same price. Well worth it. Hope its not too long for delivery. Want to watch them this weekend. Thanks for the link.
Old 04-21-09, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got mine last Friday. And, yes, I was immediately struck by the awesomeness of the artwork. The copy on the back cover - which I think was taken from voiceovers on the trailers - is also just exactly perfect. This was a set created by folks with plenty of love for and knowledge about these films.

I watched three films over the weekend, "Faster Pussycat", "Lorna" and "Mudhoney". Masterpieces all (at least of a sort!). I think "Mudhoney" and "Pussycat" are widely considered Meyer's best films, but "Lorna" really caught me out of nowhere. That first series of dissolves into Lorna's cabin reminded me of a backwoods, bayou-country Citizen Kane. And the night scene that follows - the unsatisfying sex followed by the dream sequence and that amazing shot of Lorna standing nude before the window in the darkened room, polka-dot curtain undulating in the breeze - is pure surrealism. Indeed, this film - and "Mudhoney" to a lesser extent - reminded me not a little of some of the melodramas from Bunuel's Mexican period.

I noticed the weird motion artifact mentioned in the reviews (I'm coverting to NTSC with an Oppo player upscaling to 1080i), but it rarely asserted itself in a way that detracted from the film. "Pussycat" may have been the worst of the three, but I'm only noting it - not making a huge point of it. I'm glad I didn't decide against this purchase on that basis!
Old 04-24-09, 09:54 PM

I know that I'm in the minority, but his later gonzo-style films are my favorites. Supervixens, Up, Beneath The Valley of the Ultravixens, etc...
Old 04-25-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zombeaner
I know that I'm in the minority, but his later gonzo-style films are my favorites. Supervixens, Up, Beneath The Valley of the Ultravixens, etc...
The inspired, breathless voice-over ramblings about "Small Town U.S.A." in Beneath the Valley are priceless.