Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Region-Free BD Player: Momitsu BDP-899?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Region-Free BD Player: Momitsu BDP-899?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-09, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Region-Free BD Player: Momitsu BDP-899?

FWIW, according to discussions at the AVS and High-Def Digest forums this Curtis Mathes CMMBX130, currently on sale at Target.com for $99 (plus tax/shipping), might be another Momitsu BDP-899 clone like the Sherwood 5003 and VisionQuest VQM-1000.
Old 09-25-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by cine
this Curtis Mathes CMMBX130, currently on sale at Target.com for $99 (plus tax/shipping), might be another Momitsu BDP-899 clone.
Here's the AVS thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1169983

And the player at target.com :
http://www.target.com/Curtis-Mathes-.../dp/B001B9Q11G
Old 09-25-09, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
According to HKFLix: "It offers much of the same performance as the 899 but with a few less connectivity options."

The outputs the 899 has that the 799 doesn't are:
# Optical Output: 1
# S-Video Output: 1
# Component Output: 1
This will be okay for me (I'm inches from ordering the thing and a Sony HT-SS360 HDMI HTIB) I just need to make sure some how that there is DTS-HD AND Dolby TrueHD decoding somewhere among these two products.
Old 09-25-09, 11:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I just ordered one. Fuck it - for that price, I'll take a chance. Interesting the player is avalible only online. I hope this works out, beats the hell out of getting an Oppo, which I was about to do. Saving $400 works for me.

Last edited by E Unit; 09-26-09 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-26-09, 07:09 AM

I just ordered the Curtis Mathes player also. Last night it showed out-of-stock at Target. This morning, it was available again. For $99.00, I will try it out. I found a .pdf of the manual yesterday, and the front panel and remote layout look identical to the Momitsu.

Now, I just need to decide which region locked BD to order to test it out.
Old 09-26-09, 08:50 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I was looking at the manual as well - looks like it does both PCM and Bitstream. It also has 7.1 analog outputs.
Old 09-26-09, 09:01 AM
Cool New Member

I ordered the Curtis Mathes earlier this week when the price drop happened. Based on reviews, the unit was released first in the UK and is in fact an 899 clone.
Old 09-26-09, 09:39 AM

Out of stock again at the moment.
Old 09-26-09, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Curtis Mathes, Sherwood, Visionquest, TMY, RWC-RM, are all clones of the Momitsu 899, but there are some differences, the clone models are not BD-Live ready, they are all only 1.1 models, and is missing the second USB port too, if those are important.
Old 09-27-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 256 Posts

I am ready now to buy a region free Blu-ray player, but I am torn in deciding between the Momitsu & the Oppo. I can get a hardware modified Oppo for $600 Total which is $220 more than the Momitsu. I love & own a Oppo DVD player but I am not sure if the Oppo 83 is worth $220 more than the Momitsu.

If anone can convince me one way or the other, I would really appreciate it...I am getting a headache over the choice.
Old 09-27-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jaymole
I can get a hardware modified Oppo for $600 Total which is $220 more than the Momitsu.
Why would you get a "hardware modified" Oppo BDP-83 for $600, when you can buy an unmodified one for $500 and apply the firmware change yourself, saving $100?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EEP3MK
http://www.hkflix.com/hardware/xq/as...qx/details.htm
Old 09-28-09, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 262 Likes on 184 Posts

Why would you get a "hardware modified" Oppo BDP-83 for $600, when you can buy an unmodified one for $500 and apply the firmware change yourself, saving $100?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EEP3MK
http://www.hkflix.com/hardware/xq/as...qx/details.htm
The problem with the firmware hack is that you'll lose it if you ever need to update to a newer official firmware. For example, the Wolverine Blu-ray won't play with the old firmware, but Oppo is working on a fix for it now. Applying a new firmware will overwrite the hack.

The hardware mod is easy to install and permanent. You can continue to load official firmwares without affecting the region modification.
Old 09-28-09, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The problem with the firmware hack is that you'll lose it if you ever need to update to a newer official firmware. For example, the Wolverine Blu-ray won't play with the old firmware, but Oppo is working on a fix for it now. Applying a new firmware will overwrite the hack.
This is assuming that there won't be hacked versions of newer firmware.

The hardware mod is easy to install and permanent. You can continue to load official firmwares without affecting the region modification.
I doubt the hardware mod is as easy to install as the firmware upgrade. Also, I don't know of many people who apply hardware mods themselves, hence the resell market for pre-modded players.
Old 09-28-09, 10:26 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there has been a hack other than the first one. Oppo has continued to update their firmware though. If I purchased a title that required a firmware update, I wouldn't want to wait around on the chance that there might be another hack. It's great to have a firmware hack as an option, but I could easily see why someone would spend $100 for the hardware mod.

I considered the Oppo, but I couldn't justify $499 plus the cost of the modification to go region free right now. I'm going to try out the $99 Curtis Mathes player for region coded import BDs, and I will probably continue to use a PS3 as my primary Blu-ray player.
Old 09-28-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there has been a hack other than the first one.
There are hacks for the original 430 firmware and for the 601 beta firmware. The current stable firmware from Oppo is 620, with a newer 905 beta firmware.

The 620 firmware has been out for 3 months, so updated hacked firmwares are, at least, lagging behind the official firmware releases.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-r...-part-3-a.html
Old 09-28-09, 12:55 PM

There are hacks for the original 430 firmware and for the 601 beta firmware. The current stable firmware from Oppo is 620, with a newer 905 beta firmware.

The 620 firmware has been out for 3 months, so updated hacked firmwares are, at least, lagging behind the official firmware releases.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-r...-part-3-a.html
You're right. I forgot that there was a hack for both the original and the beta firmware releases.

I haven't followed the Oppo threads much during the last three or four weeks. Have there been any recent BDs that require a firmware update that breaks the hack? That would be my biggest fear. I wouldn't want to build up a collection of region B or C titles that won't play if I have to update the firmware to watch a new release.

If you are comfortable doing the hardware mod yourself, I guess you could always start with the firmware hack. If the hacks aren't updated frequently, you could buy a mod kit later if you felt it was necessary.
Old 09-28-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I just read this whole thread and my head is spinning.

If I want a Blu Ray player that will play DVDs from any region, convert PAL to NTSC as well as play any region Blue Ray disc, is there something I can buy?
Old 09-28-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True, but you have to place your faith in the hackers to continue updating their hacks indefinitely.

I doubt the hardware mod is as easy to install as the firmware upgrade. Also, I don't know of many people who apply hardware mods themselves, hence the resell market for pre-modded players.
The JVB mod for this particular player (BDP-83) is incredibly easy to install. It's a 5 minute process with no soldering required. Take the hood off the player, disconnect a cable, snap in the replacement, and replace the hood. That's it.
Old 09-28-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
If I want a Blu Ray player that will play DVDs from any region, convert PAL to NTSC as well as play any region Blue Ray disc, is there something I can buy?
You can buy the :
Momitsu BDP-899 and apply the remote hack
Momitsu BDP-799 and apply the remote hack
Curtis Mathes CMMBX130 and apply the remote hack
Oppo BDP-83 and either use the older hacked firmware, or use the hardware mod.
Old 09-28-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True, but you have to place your faith in the hackers to continue updating their hacks indefinitely.
Do you think BD players will need to have their firmware constantly updated? Or will the players reach a point of compatibility that will require no new updates?

Related to this, do you think manufacturers will update their players indefinitely? Or will players reach the end of support, and updates will be stopped?
Old 09-28-09, 03:45 PM

Do you think BD players will need to have their firmware constantly updated? Or will the players reach a point of compatibility that will require no new updates?

Related to this, do you think manufacturers will update their players indefinitely? Or will players reach the end of support, and updates will be stopped?
Good questions. I thought once players reached BD 2.0, the firmware updates would slow down. It seems like we continue to get BDs that require the updates though. I'm pretty sure Ghostbusters required an update on the PS3. I think I read that Dollhouse Season One required new firmware on some players, and Josh Z mentioned a problem with the Wolverine disc and the Oppo.
Old 09-28-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Unofficial Oppo FAQs include a pretty good summary of the technical issues that may require ongoing firmware updates on all players for the foreseeable future:

Q: What are the causes of the issues? Are the studios adding new features or is the existing spec too sloppy? It's not just a matter of DRM updates, is it?

A: There could be many causes. Most of the issues are related to Java and copyright protection. The BD-Java specs are very complicated and a lot of details are not well defined. The Java implementation (middleware) in different players can come from different sources and each has some variation. The disc authoring tools may use a Java implementation and libraries from different vendors. The copyright protection mechanisms used by the studios are updated from time to time, and the players must be updated to support them.
More info: Why does the player need firmware updates before it will play certain Blu-ray discs?
Old 09-29-09, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's certainly no coincidence that discs from Fox continue to cause the most compatibility problems across the broadest range of player manufacturers. The studio is ultra-paranoid about piracy and constantly changes their encryption protocols.
Old 09-29-09, 02:54 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

It's certainly no coincidence that discs from Fox continue to cause the most compatibility problems across the broadest range of player manufacturers. The studio is ultra-paranoid about piracy and constantly changes their encryption protocols.
Yet all of their titles are available on torrents. They do such a wonderful job a BDRip of Wolverine has been available for about 2 months now.
Old 09-29-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 256 Posts

Thanks for the info so far. I am leaning towards the Oppo (hardware modified) as it is better with upscaling and with interlaced DVDs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.