Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Region-Free BD Player: Momitsu BDP-899?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Region-Free BD Player: Momitsu BDP-899?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: Region-Free BD Player: Momitsu BDP-899?

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
If SACD and customer service are of utmost importance to you, then go with the Oppo. If they are not, contrary to the popular opinion shared on a number of forums, you should go with the Momitsu. At this point, it is the better of the two players. A second generation Oppo player will probably change that.

(Don't ask for details why, I can't post here).
Right.

If you have knowledge of something wrong with the player, you should say as much, rather than coyly pretend that you have super-secret insider info that you're not allowed to tell anyone. The player has been released to the public. If you were bound by an NDA at some point in the player's beta cycle, that contract expired upon public release.

If your only complaint is that the Oppo BDP-83 is not region-free out of the box, that information is not and has never been secret.

The Momitsu player is region-free out of the box. The Oppo is not.
Old 07-19-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
If you have knowledge of something wrong with the player, you should say as much, rather than coyly pretend that you have super-secret insider info that you're not allowed to tell anyone.
Yeah. What's up with that? My Oppo BDP-83 has performed like a champ, playing everything from all regions and zones. And played them extremely well.

If the Momitsu player has the edge over the Oppo, I'd wish you'd share that information. I'm always ready to upgrade to something better.
Old 07-20-09, 10:10 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read the online PDF manual for the MOMITSU and it seems that it doesn't pass 4:2:2 color space and has no Direct Source: that means you can't pass unaltered 480i or 576i resolution to your external scaler! This seems like a nice player that could work in many applications but if you have a higher-end setup, you'll want to pass on this player. Again, from personal experience, I recommend the Oppo BDP-83. Click on my link and check out my theatre's tech details (just click on the picture).
Old 07-24-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pro-b's silence is deafening.
Old 07-24-09, 12:10 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

You gotta diss Blu-ray for that to happen. Watch - Blu-ray stinks. This should hit his RSS feed and we should see him shortly.

Though, now that my $50 Sherwood can apparently handle the Momitsmu firmware...I may very well have a nice player I'd like to read what makes it so much better than Oppo's.
Old 08-25-09, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm really feeling the urge to go region-free and am leaning towards this player.

My TV is component only, so I would need to run HDMI for audio and component for video. Are there any problems with doing this on the Momitsu?

Also - I first read about this player over at DVD Beaver. Just checking, but the version they sell is the same as everywhere else, where you have to input the codes via the remote to set the region?

Those of you who have had this machine a while - has it been good to you?

Thanks for any info!
Old 08-25-09, 04:30 PM
Suspended

You can buy a Sherwood 5003, buy a Momitsu Remote ($20) and put the Momitsu firmware on the Sherwood. They are the same player just different branding. It'll internally decoded TrueHD/DTS MA as well
Old 08-25-09, 04:51 PM

Right.

If you have knowledge of something wrong with the player, you should say as much, rather than coyly pretend that you have super-secret insider info that you're not allowed to tell anyone. The player has been released to the public. If you were bound by an NDA at some point in the player's beta cycle, that contract expired upon public release.

If your only complaint is that the Oppo BDP-83 is not region-free out of the box, that information is not and has never been secret.

The Momitsu player is region-free out of the box. The Oppo is not.
Josh,

I thought he meant that he has "details " on a future Oppo model. Perhaps not, but that was my interpretation.
Old 08-25-09, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams
I'm really feeling the urge to go region-free and am leaning towards this player.

My TV is component only, so I would need to run HDMI for audio and component for video. Are there any problems with doing this on the Momitsu?

Also - I first read about this player over at DVD Beaver. Just checking, but the version they sell is the same as everywhere else, where you have to input the codes via the remote to set the region?

Thanks for any info!
Guys! I bring the thread back to life, and you carry on where you left off, without even noticing me! Doesn't someone have some simple answers for me please?
Old 08-25-09, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't help you on the question about component output, but there's only one version of the BDP-899 available in the US. It's only available from HKFlix, or on eBay from sellers who probably got it from HKFlix. The link to purchase it on the DVD Beaver site takes you to HKFlix.

No problems in the few months I've owned it.
Old 08-25-09, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
You can buy a Sherwood 5003, buy a Momitsu Remote ($20) and put the Momitsu firmware on the Sherwood. They are the same player just different branding. It'll internally decoded TrueHD/DTS MA as well
Where can one buy the Momitsu remote and get the Momitsu firmware?
Old 08-26-09, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams

Thanks for any info!
Bleddyn,

I tried it out for you when I got home. Yes, the Momitsu works fine if you use the HDMI for audio to your receiver, and the component for video straight to your TV.

Yes, you input the code via the remote to change regions. It defaults to Region A whenever the player is turned off, however.

I've had the player for a couple of months now and it has been fine. I notice it is a little noisier during disc loading than my PS3 and a little less smooth when fast forwarding through a disc. Minor issues which do not detract from its multi-region goodness.
Old 08-26-09, 07:56 AM

Thanks a lot, rkndkn & seymouru!
Old 08-26-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by awil1026
Josh,

I thought he meant that he has "details " on a future Oppo model. Perhaps not, but that was my interpretation.
No, he's clearly implying that there's something wrong with the current player that he believes will need to be fixed in future models. He outright states that he believes the Momitsu is the better of the two players. But he won't tell us why or what the Oppo's alleged problem is, because apparently those are secret.

Oppo's focus is on the BDP-83 right now. The player just came out and is their flagship model. I wouldn't expect a second-generation unit for another year at the very earliest, if even.

Last edited by Josh Z; 08-26-09 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-26-09, 12:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

yes isn't it...

hey was that you who had your letter published in the #150 issue of Video Watchdog?
Old 08-26-09, 12:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

reading over at avsforum, many people who have the Oppo are saying there's a recurring audio pop. Not sure if that's the big issue. I'm on the fence about getting one. I want a region free player, but do I go all out and get the Oppo? Or will the Momitsu fill the bill?
Old 08-26-09, 12:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
reading over at avsforum, many people who have the Oppo are saying there's a recurring audio pop. Not sure if that's the big issue. I'm on the fence about getting one. I want a region free player, but do I go all out and get the Oppo? Or will the Momitsu fill the bill?
this is no help to you, but I'm in the same boat, my inkling is to go with the Momitsu.
Old 08-26-09, 12:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I'm vibing that way Giles. I just want a decent player with minimal glitching. I also figure witht he price comparisons, I can get a Momitsu and a PS3 slim for almost the same price as the Oppo. That's all I'm really doing, is getting a secondary blu ray player to put in the living room to give my fat boy PS3 a rest. I've just read so damn much on both I'm ready to just buckle and go with Momitsu at this point.
Old 08-26-09, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by awil1026
I guess we both fail at reading comprehension because that's the way it read to me too...clearly.

If indeed your interpretation was correct, perhaps a less counter-productive tone in your query post might have been more fruitful in getting a response from Pro-B.
Old 08-26-09, 12:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by flixtime
If indeed your interpretation was correct, perhaps a less counter-productive tone in your query post might have been more fruitful in getting a response from Pro-B.
He actually won't likely respond unless someone PMs him this thread and he feel's up to it. He has pretty much abandoned DVDTalk because of various reasons.
Old 08-26-09, 01:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by cine
Where can one buy the Momitsu remote and get the Momitsu firmware?
Momitsu themselves. I'll be selling my Sherwood if your interested.
Old 08-26-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
The Oppo is universal player, which can handle not only DVDs and Blu-rays, but SACD and DVD-A as well. I believe the recurring audio pop, referred to as "rice krispies" in the AVS Oppo thread, applies to SACDs only.

So if you only need it for Blu-ray playback, the Momitsu is a fine option (I have both). The main benefits to the Oppo over the Momitsu and other Blu-Ray players are:

1. SACD and DVD-A playback
2. Outstanding DVD upconversion, due to the ABT chip
3. Faster layer changes on DVDs

There's a (very long) thread over on AVS about the Oppo's performance compared to "other players" ...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1136139
Old 08-26-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flixtime
I guess we both fail at reading comprehension because that's the way it read to me too...clearly.

If indeed your interpretation was correct,
Here's his quote again. You'll have to explain to me how this can be interpreted any way other than Pro-b suggesting that there's something wrong with the Oppo player.

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
If SACD and customer service are of utmost importance to you, then go with the Oppo. If they are not, contrary to the popular opinion shared on a number of forums, you should go with the Momitsu. At this point, it is the better of the two players. A second generation Oppo player will probably change that.

(Don't ask for details why, I can't post here).
Old 08-26-09, 02:31 PM
Suspended

Where can he post though if not here at DVDTalk? That's what I want to know!
Old 08-26-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He has pretty much abandoned DVDTalk because of various reasons.
GizmoDVD, please accept - though I quoted you - that the following commentary is not directed towards you specifically. I'm simply making some general commentary...besides some might be familiar that I'm a bit long-winded at heart.

The term "abandoned" is interesting because - to me - it implies that Pro-B had some sort of duty or obligation to serve us. Perhaps in the course of his official duties as a DVD reviewer, this was indeed the case. Otherwise, in my book, he owed us nothing. I'm not in any position to pass judgment on the various dust-ups Pro-B had with a number of the forum members over Blu-ray matters; it seems a fair guess neither side was entirely lacking in fault. To me though, instead of remaining compartmentalized, aggravation some might have felt towards Pro-B seemed to follow him around and manifest itself outside of the discussions at issue (a "piling on" if you will). As you stated, I believe there are multiple factors coming in to play as to why he has moved on. I simply find it curious as to why he is being "called out" by some of what I'm reading since the recent bump of this thread. During his time here, Pro-B was very helpful to me, and many others...of that there is no doubt. If continuing to do so became more trouble than it was worth for Pro-B, well, who could deny him the decision of directing his free time elsewhere. The need to resurrect past issues, as happened in this thread, seems gratuitous.

For the annoyance I've caused by taking this thread off-topic, I do sincerely apologize. I can see where the option of me "minding my own business" might have been the wiser choice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.