Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Region-Free BD Player: Momitsu BDP-899?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Region-Free BD Player: Momitsu BDP-899?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Here's his quote again. You'll have to explain to me how this can be interpreted any way other than Pro-b suggesting that there's something wrong with the Oppo player.
Josh, to me, as opposed to the way you bolded his comments, I related his "Don't ask for details why, I can't post here." comment as being in reference to his comment "A second generation Oppo player will probably change that." comment, aka he was not allowed to share with us what he knew about the second generation Oppo.

Of course I might be misreading it, and your interpretation actually is the correct reading, aka that he was not allowed to share with us what was wrong with the Oppo.

Still, to me, the tone of your initial response to him could have been a bit more affable..."you catch more flies with honey..." and all.

Where's an Obama Beer Summit when you need one.
Old 08-26-09, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Where can he post though if not here at DVDTalk? That's what I want to know!
From my reading of this whole mess, in regard to Pro-B's "I can't post here" comment, I believe Pro-B meant he was - as Josh submitted - bound by some form of NDA (Non-disclosure Agreement). But as I comprehend it, this NDA was in relation to a forthcoming second generation Oppo player (not an expired NDA pertaining to the first Oppo player...as Josh put forth). I don't think Pro-B meant to infer that he couldn't post here but could post elsewhere...basically the "I can't post here" line meant he was not allowed to disclose anything publicly no matter where.

For newbies who found merit in his DVD reviews - and might not know this already - he now does Blu-ray reviews over at blu-ray.com.

Though, as some are no doubt aware, I was very friendly with Pro-B during his time here, everything I'm writing here is pure speculation...my own take on what I've read...I haven't had any sort of communication with Pro-B to say for sure which reading of his comments is the more accurate.

So I suppose we have no choice but to engage in a duel at daybreak...flixtime vs. Josh Z....ten paces....with dusty S.A.T. scores (Verbal section) as the weapons of choice!
Old 08-26-09, 03:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Region-Free BD Player: Momitsu BDP-899?

Originally Posted by seymouru
The Oppo is universal player, which can handle not only DVDs and Blu-rays, but SACD and DVD-A as well. I believe the recurring audio pop, referred to as "rice krispies" in the AVS Oppo thread, applies to SACDs only.

So if you only need it for Blu-ray playback, the Momitsu is a fine option (I have both). The main benefits to the Oppo over the Momitsu and other Blu-Ray players are:

1. SACD and DVD-A playback
2. Outstanding DVD upconversion, due to the ABT chip
3. Faster layer changes on DVDs

There's a (very long) thread over on AVS about the Oppo's performance compared to "other players" ...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1136139
I appreciate your thoughts - my interest for one is strictly for blu rays from other regions. I hold zero interest with SACD and DVD-A playback. I guess I also somehow missed that the popping sounds were mostly limited to SACD's. I kind of tune out at about 50+ pages in reading those threads.
Old 08-26-09, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I kind of tune out at about 50+ pages in reading those threads.
No kidding. Keeping up with some of those humungous AVS threads can be a full-time job!
Old 08-26-09, 04:49 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by flixtime
From my reading of this whole mess, in regard to Pro-B's "I can't post here" comment, I believe Pro-B meant he was - as Josh submitted - bound by some form of NDA (Non-disclosure Agreement). But as I comprehend it, this NDA was in relation to a forthcoming second generation Oppo player (not an expired NDA pertaining to the first Oppo player...as Josh put forth). I don't think Pro-B meant to infer that he couldn't post here but could post elsewhere...basically the "I can't post here" line meant he was not allowed to disclose anything publicly no matter where.

For newbies who found merit in his DVD reviews - and might not know this already - he now does Blu-ray reviews over at blu-ray.com.

Though, as some are no doubt aware, I was very friendly with Pro-B during his time here, everything I'm writing here is pure speculation...my own take on what I've read...I haven't had any sort of communication with Pro-B to say for sure which reading of his comments is the more accurate.

So I suppose we have no choice but to engage in a duel at daybreak...flixtime vs. Josh Z....ten paces....with dusty S.A.T. scores (Verbal section) as the weapons of choice!
Any NDA signed became useless when the player was released officially months ago.
Old 08-26-09, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any NDA signed became useless when the player was released officially months ago.
He was referring to an NDA on a second-generation player that hasn't been released yet.
Old 08-26-09, 05:06 PM
Suspended

He was referring to an NDA on a second-generation player that hasn't been released yet.
No where has it even been announced or rumored. He was clearly talking about the Momitsu vs the already release Oppo. Why would he (or anyone for that matter) compare it to a mythical player that has no release date, no picture, no rumored specs etc.

This is his words:
If SACD and customer service are of utmost importance to you, then go with the Oppo. If they are not, contrary to the popular opinion shared on a number of forums, you should go with the Momitsu. At this point, it is the better of the two players. A second generation Oppo player will probably change that.

(Don't ask for details why, I can't post here).
He is just assuming a second gen Oppo will fix that. I don't think he is implying he know's info about a second gen Oppo player. Please, PM/E-mail/Pigeon letter whatever him here to clarify this. Personally, I wouldn't compare a S550 to the S960 that has not even been announced yet but that's just me.

Last edited by Gizmo; 08-26-09 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-26-09, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, discussion of an NDA is obviously pure speculation. I was referring to flixtime's post about a possible NDA on a second-generation Oppo BD player.

But pro-b's post strongly suggests to me that his parenthetical remark referred specifically to his previous sentence about the second-generation Oppo. Without his input though, it's all guesswork.
Old 08-26-09, 05:38 PM
Suspended

Well, discussion of an NDA is obviously pure speculation. I was referring to flixtime's post about a possible NDA on a second-generation Oppo BD player.

But pro-b's post strongly suggests to me that his parenthetical remark referred specifically to his previous sentence about the second-generation Oppo. Without his input though, it's all guesswork.
Actually the 'beta' Oppo users had to sign NDAs IIRC. That's what I was talking about.
Old 08-26-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually the 'beta' Oppo users had to sign NDAs IIRC.
True, but I really don't think pro-b's comment was related to the first gen Oppo.
Old 08-26-09, 05:46 PM
Suspended

True, but I really don't think pro-b's comment was related to the first gen Oppo.
So he was comparing a released Momitsu to a never-been-announced-or-heard-of Oppo? I don't even think he is that silly.
Old 08-26-09, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So he was comparing a released Momitsu to a never-been-announced-or-heard-of Oppo? I don't even think he is that silly.
Silly or not, from my reading, yes he was saying a never-been-announced-or-heard-of second gen Oppo may outperform the Momitsu:
At this point, [the Momitsu] is the better of the two players. A second generation Oppo player will probably change that.

(Don't ask for details why, I can't post here).
P.S. If there is such a player in the works, under a tight NDA, it would by definition be never-been-announced-or-heard-of.

Last edited by seymouru; 08-26-09 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-26-09, 06:09 PM
Suspended

If so, why even mention it if he's under such a strict NDA?
Old 08-26-09, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, he did say "a" second generation Oppo player (which implies "theoretically") as opposed to "the" second generation Oppo player (which implies "confirmed"). It might take a jury to determine whether that comprises a violation of an NDA that may or may not exist for a player that may or may not be under development.
Old 08-26-09, 08:31 PM
Suspended

Personally, I don't even care that much as I won't be buying any player that does not have networking features.
Old 08-26-09, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I beg to differ. Dude could win "the silliest posts on the internet" award with some of his positions.
Old 08-27-09, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by flixtime
Josh, to me, as opposed to the way you bolded his comments, I related his "Don't ask for details why, I can't post here." comment as being in reference to his comment "A second generation Oppo player will probably change that." comment, aka he was not allowed to share with us what he knew about the second generation Oppo.

Of course I might be misreading it, and your interpretation actually is the correct reading, aka that he was not allowed to share with us what was wrong with the Oppo.
We can debate what he meant by saying, "Don't ask for details why, I can't post here."

Nevertheless, earlier in the post, he outright states that the Momitsu is a better player than the current Oppo, but does not say why. He suggests that there's something wrong with the Oppo that he hopes will be fixed in a second-generation player.

It hardly seems unreasonable that we should ask him what he meant, especially since many of us have been using the Oppo BDP-83 and found it to be an excellent piece of hardware.
Old 08-27-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Personally, I don't even care that much as I won't be buying any player that does not have networking features.
In that case, you might be interested in this nugget that was recently posted in the enormous Oppo thread on AVS:

I recently called Oppo and was told that they were looking into network streaming via ethernet. While I was not provided with a timeline, I was told in no uncertain terms that it was being looked into.

It seems like it would technically be pretty easy to do since the machine can already download enhanced Blu-ray content to the hard drive and can play content from the hard drive. Streaming of MKV would be a huge feature for me.
Old 08-29-09, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went to the store today and saw a "clone Momitsu", and it said that there were a lot of format discs that it COUDLNT play, like BD-R's and such.

Can the Momitsu play pretty much any disc out there? And what about the clone models like the Sherwood or the VisionQuest?
Old 09-09-09, 07:55 AM

Weird. I put a rental copy of Last Temptation of Christ into my Momitsu, and now the thing is stuck loading, and I can't eject the disc! Needless to say, I'm very, very bothered.

EDIT: I finally managed to get the disc out, after powering it off and pressing eject rapidly about 30 times. I tried History of Violence, and it works, so I'm going to assume the disc (which was in somewhat rough shape) was wholly to blame.

Man.

Last edited by AGameWithStones; 09-09-09 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-25-09, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.hkflix.com/hardware/xq/as...qx/details.htm

Momitsu's new BD player, the BDP-799

It's $100 less than the BDP-899, and apparently, less options, but I haven't really compared as of what.
Old 09-25-09, 06:23 AM

It says on HKFlix's site that it does convert PAL to NTSC, but according to the manual for the 799, "Discs with PAL programs recorded on them cannot be played using this product." That could be problematic when importing European BDs that have any type of PAL content (menus, extras) on them. Perhaps HKFlix modified the conversion aspects which obviously wouldn't be noted on the OEM manual.

Also, the only outputs are composite video, analog audio (stereo only), digital coaxial audio, and of course HDMI.

Last edited by theguyoverthere; 09-25-09 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-25-09, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The 899's manual said the same thing. The 799 has proper NTSC-PAL conversion, so I don't imagine it will be a problem.
Old 09-25-09, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by manicsounds
Momitsu's new BD player, the BDP-799. It's $100 less than the BDP-899, and apparently, less options, but I haven't really compared as of what.
According to HKFLix: "It offers much of the same performance as the 899 but with a few less connectivity options."

The outputs the 899 has that the 799 doesn't are:
# Optical Output: 1
# S-Video Output: 1
# Component Output: 1
Old 09-25-09, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gary at DVDBeaver said HKFlix is sending him a 799, and he will do a comparison of the 2

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.