Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What current TVs can display PAL with no conversion?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-09, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Not sure if this is the right area for this question, but it seems those here would be more likely to know the answer. I'm in the US, but I still want to be able to watch PAL DVDs. I have a couple players that convert them to NTSC, but if it's something that's shot on video it looks like ass since the frame rate is messed up. My friend has a Vizio LCD TV which will display a straight PAL signal with no problem- the DVD player is set to just send out whatever the original format is and it will display it. I thought this meant most LCDs would be able to do this, but I tried out a Samsung LCD and it gives you the message "Format not supported" when you try to show a PAL signal on it.

Sooo, I'm wondering if anyone might know what brands/models of TVs out there can or can't display PAL? There doesn't seem to be an easy way to tell straight on; if nobody can answer I might just have to get the stores to let me bring my DVD player in and test it out.
Old 03-19-09, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: What current TVs can display PAL with no conversion?

Good luck getting them to let you do that. Why not just bring in an R0 PAL disc or rip/burn one of your own?
Old 03-20-09, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Not all DVD players will even play a PAL disc, so just finding one in the store that would play it might be a hunt in itself. I do have a test disc in the car just in case though.
Old 03-21-09, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, there are a number of well known brands that do: SONY, Panasonic, Phillips, etc. The catch is: most of them are European sets (they are multi-system set by default). If you are looking for a US manufactured TV set that handles native PAL out of the box, I am unsure I could be of any assistance. This being said, most of the large metro areas - NY, LA, Chicago, Boston - have vendors that could assist you.

Pro-B
Old 03-21-09, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My Panasonic projector handles PAL. I suppose projectors are sold in relatively low numbers, so they build one model for worldwide sale.
Old 03-23-09, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Not all DVD players will even play a PAL disc, so just finding one in the store that would play it might be a hunt in itself. I do have a test disc in the car just in case though.
I didn't realize this was true. Live and learn. Good luck with the search.