Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Crush and Blush (dir:Lee Kyoung-Mi, screen:Park Chan-wook) anyone see?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 03-17-09, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I noticed this is playing at a Korean Film Festival at the AFI Silver in silver srping, md, and was wondering if this was worth checking out?

CRUSH AND BLUSH

In Person: Director Lee Kyoung-Mi

Lee Kyoung-mi's debut feature is a madcap comedy of vengeance and obsession. It stars Gong Hyo-jin (in a brilliant comic performance), as a middle school teacher who suffers from a condition that makes her blush bright red whenever her emotions get out of control. Unfortunately for her, this happens quite a lot. Obsessed with one of her colleagues, who just happens to be married and dating another fellow teacher on the side, she befriends her love object's daughter in order to concoct a revenge scheme that ends up spinning hilariously out of control.

DIR/SCR Lee Kyoung-mi; SCR Park Chan-wook; PROD Lee Min-soo. South Korea, 2008, color, 101 min. NOT RATED (Intended for mature audiences)

Monday, April 20, 8:00
Sounds very interesting and I'm big a Park Chan-wook fan, so worth checkin out? i figured it be better to put it here then in movie talk

Last edited by Rypro 525; 03-17-09 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-21-09, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Crush and Blush (dir:Lee Kyoung-Mi, screen:Park Chan-wook) anyone see?

eh bump, flixtime, anyone? I think i saw that this was also on dvd, any suggestions as to which one would be best>?
Old 03-21-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hi Rypro I can't offer much input as I haven't purchased this one yet. It caught my eye too but I can't quite get myself to pull the trigger.
Old 03-26-09, 11:46 AM

I bought the LE from YesAsia last week. I like a good comedy and that's the only genre I can get my wife to watch with me, so I figured it was good for a movie night.

Popped it in to watch last night, and boy, what a disappointment. My wife categorized it as a "no clue movie" which is her way of saying a stupid movie with no point. I got 2, maybe three chuckles out of it but that's about it. There's also a bit of a creepy edge to it, as one of the major plot lines has a teacher and her middle school student pretending to be the student's dad on IM, relaying explicit sexual messages to his would-be mistress.

It blind buys like this that make me want to sign back up with Cinflix. Of course I've had some amazing finds, so it evens out. I guess.
Old 03-26-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmm, based on what you've said, maybe I'll opt to play crash test dummy on something like SUNNY instead then.
Old 03-26-09, 01:17 PM

Well, I hope you get some more opinions. Some of my favorite Korean movies leave others cold, and I sure don't like some of the ones others rave about. I do think the screenplay for Crush and Blush had promise but it was poorly directed. And the characters' motivations were non-sensical. Sometimes I think humor can be lost in translation, but my Korean wife liked it even less than I did and she usually goes for the comedies.

(I did like it slightly better than Chan-wook Park's I'm a Cyborg But That's Okay, which I thought was abyssmal.)
Old 03-26-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Part of my reason for holding off on CRUSH AND BLUSH was because I too wasn't a big fan of PARK Chan-wook's go 'round with I'M A CYBORG BUT THAT'S OKAY. A gut feeling says I might react to CRUSH AND BLUSH just as you did...combined with not being particularly taken with the trailer and such, I think I'll assign higher priority to the aforementioned SUNNY and maybe THE CROSSING, PORTRAIT OF A BEAUTY, or maybe that B-thriller TRUCK that came out a short time ago.