Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Indian Cinema [PART 4]

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Indian Cinema [PART 4]

Old 03-17-09, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Indian Cinema [PART 4]

There is no way that I can ever watch GHAJINI, because they are using old school Bollywood action choreography (the punches not even close to touching the other person).
Old 03-18-09, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure looking at your usernames if any one of you is an Indian but it is amazing that you are so keen to watch the Indian cinema.
Old 03-18-09, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by punit
I'm not sure looking at your usernames if any one of you is an Indian but it is amazing that you are so keen to watch the Indian cinema.
Nope, not Indian - just a white american jew! Well, most of us in here are movie lovers. Why would a true movie lover deprive oneself of not seeing films from other countries? Thank god for multi-region DVD players!
Old 03-18-09, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
There is no way that I can ever watch GHAJINI, because they are using old school Bollywood action choreography (the punches not even close to touching the other person).
...but you loved Dhoom 2!
Old 03-18-09, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvd_freak
...but you loved Dhoom 2!
I did, but I don't remember any fighting scenes in that film. Were there? I remember a lot of other action scenes, such as chase scenes, shooting, well-choreographed scenes, etc...
Old 03-18-09, 09:01 AM

I did, but I don't remember any fighting scenes in that film. Were there? I remember a lot of other action scenes, such as chase scenes, shooting, well-choreographed scenes, etc...
I don't really recall, that movie was really forgettable. And I don't think I can take another sitting of that movie! The fight scenes in Ghajini are very "Tamil-movie-like" from what people say. I don't watch a lot of Tamil movies so I can't say for sure. I thought the movie was OK...not too great. Btw...the Ghajini hype continues with this -

Ghajini Collectible
Old 03-21-09, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tahaan (Hindi - 2008)
In my 6 1/2 years of participating in this thread I sure have done my share of dumping on Indian cinema. With the expected deliveries of high-profile and acclaimed films such as THE GOOD THE BAD THE WEIRD, LET THE RIGHT ONE IN, IRON MAN, and IP MAN (among others), this last couple of weeks was one of my most anticipated movie-watching cycles in a long time. And I was certainly satisfied by some of the experiences - IP MAN, IRON MAN - and I think I've done more than my share of commenting on the other two. I never would have imagined that the true salvation for me the last couple of weeks would have been two films from India, the first being LUCK BY CHANCE of course, and now it has been joined by TAHAAN as a closing bookend. I just finished watching it so I'm typing on a bit of an emotional high and with great satisfaction. With JODHAA AKBAR, MUMBAI MERE JAAN, and some other films that I enjoyed, I was quite happy with the diamonds I found in the moutain of coal I dirtied myself with in mining through so many Indian films. And now TAHAAN might well have planted itself right on top as the best Indian film of 2008. This movie was just edged out by TAARE ZAMEEN PAR as India's Oscar submission, and once again India made a poor choice in judgment. Ace cinematographer, and also sometime director (THE TERRORIST), Santosh Sivan handles both duties here, as well as writing, and delivers to the screen an excellent entry for Indian arthouse cinema. An opening disclaimer announces this film as a fable with fictional characters though taking place against a non-fictional backdrop of the continuing conflict in the North Indian region of Kashmir. And once you hear mention of Kashmir, you know what to expect...gorgeous cinematography of that beautiful mountain region, combine that with the talented artistry of Santosh Sivan and his excellent camerawork throughout the movie, and you have a pure visual treat. The story is a small and simple tale of a young boy and him trying to recover his pet donkey which was sold to support the struggling family. But it is really not that simple as the backdrop of the troubled Kashmir setting eventually comes fore to entwine our innocent young protagonist. Actually, the early portions of the movie feel, not so much like an Indian movie at all, but much more like something out of Persian cinema. The young boy is played by a newcomer, and his inexperience does show through a handful of times, but he is complemented by some of India's better actors with Anupam Kher and arthouse favorite Rahul Bose getting a fair share of time in supporting roles. Also along for support are Victor Banerjee in a guest role, and an actress I'm unfamiliar with - Sarika - does very well as the mother of our young protagonist - Tahaan. Even Rahul Khanna turns in a suitable performance in a guest role. The technical production values show great skill and are of high quality...it is not a cheap low-budget film. During the short, approximately 96-minute runtime there is no song & dance, but there is excellent use of some traditional folk music and the tiniest of performance scenes which appear intermittently throughout the tale and further serve to make it a well-rounded viewing experience. To cap things off, the climax of the film had me breathless with suspense. I'm on an adrenaline-high right now after watching this movie. This is not simply a top-tier Indian film, it also joins my top-tier of favorites for all movies produced in 2008. Thank you Indian cinema for being an unexpected shining light for me during a somewhat disheartening cycle of recent movie-viewing.

Note: this was a rental and the film is out on English-friendly DVD from MoserBaer in India (marked as "for sale in India only" I think). I don't see this DVD available for sale yet at nehaflix or indiaweekly. Of course they had to mess things up by plastering their MoserBaer watermark onto the top left corner of the screen for the whole movie. And even worse, when the DVD menu you comes up they put a tagline for the film under the title TAHAAN. I won't tell you what the tagline reads and it doesn't appear during the opening credits of the actual film. But I think that the tagline is a significant spoiler and there is no way it should have been included on the DVD selection menu. So if you ever do watch the movie via this DVD keep your eyes closed and have a friend/family member select the audio/subs, and then press start for you, and then you can open your eyes.
Old 03-22-09, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll add that to my list, if only for Santosh Sivan's camerawork.
Old 03-22-09, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just finished Jodhaa Akbar. In short, I like, which is rare for Bollywood and me

proper comments later.
Old 03-22-09, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by flixtime
Tahaan (Hindi - 2008)
Note: this was a rental and the film is out on English-friendly DVD from MoserBaer in India (marked as "for sale in India only" I think). I don't see this DVD available for sale yet at nehaflix or indiaweekly. Of course they had to mess things up by plastering their MoserBaer watermark onto the top left corner of the screen for the whole movie. And even worse, when the DVD menu you comes up they put a tagline for the film under the title TAHAAN. I won't tell you what the tagline reads and it doesn't appear during the opening credits of the actual film. But I think that the tagline is a significant spoiler and there is no way it should have been included on the DVD selection menu. So if you ever do watch the movie via this DVD keep your eyes closed and have a friend/family member select the audio/subs, and then press start for you, and then you can open your eyes.
I found the following Indian distributor selling TAHAAN:

http://www.induna.com/1000005224-productdetails/

One can see the trailer at the official website for TAHAAN:

http://www.idreamproduction.com/webs...an//flash.html

Your review tempted me to consider purchasing this dvd. Thanks for your detailed commentary on this film flixtime.

Last edited by TheDoug; 03-22-09 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Adding new material
Old 03-23-09, 04:54 PM

I have ordered from induna.com a few times, good service and fast shipping. The product details are pretty good, you know exactly what you are getting.
Old 03-23-09, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sounds interesting, I like Anupam Kher.
Old 03-24-09, 01:06 PM

Stopped by the local Best Buy today and saw about 20-25 bollywood DVDs for sale, mostly in the 6.99-9.99 range. All of them were EROS titles (Black & White, Bollywood Bound, Sunday, Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak and more). Will try to get a picture the next time. Also saw Om Shanti Om Blu-Ray 29.99 at Best Buy.

Last edited by dvd_freak; 03-24-09 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-24-09, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stopped by the local Best Buy today and saw about 20-25 bollywood DVDs for sale, mostly in the 6.99-9.99 range. All of them were EROS titles (Black & White, Bollywood Bound, Sunday, Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak and more). Will try to get a picture the next time. Also saw Om Shanti Om Blu-Ray 29.99 at Best Buy.
Where is your Best Buy - Mumbai? Delhi? Goa? Hyderabad?
Old 03-24-09, 05:17 PM

Where is your Best Buy - Mumbai? Delhi? Goa? Hyderabad?
I guess some pictures would have helped. Will try to get some.
My local Best Buy is in Princeton, NJ.
Old 03-24-09, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess some pictures would have helped. Will try to get some.
My local Best Buy is in Princeton, NJ.
Wow, that's impressive. Your Best Buy has more Bollywood dvds than the Best Buy in NYC.

I'm from Princeton by the way...Princeton Record Exchange is GREAT!! Best DVD prices in the world!
Old 03-25-09, 12:33 PM

Wow, that's impressive. Your Best Buy has more Bollywood dvds than the Best Buy in NYC.

I'm from Princeton by the way...Princeton Record Exchange is GREAT!! Best DVD prices in the world!
Hello there neighbour!

Found this on Eros Website:

* Eros was pleased to have launched mainstream DVD distribution through Walmart, Amazon and Best Buy in North America, which is comparable to high street distribution in the UK through HMV, Virgin and Asda and also with Nu Metro in South Africa.
Old 03-26-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm very happy to announce that a film I've been waiting for a long time has finally come to English-friendly DVD. I recall mentioning it at least a couple of times in the past and I did rank it highly back a few years ago. It is a Bengali-language movie from arthouse director Buddhadeb Dasgupta and the title is SWAPNER DIN (2004) aka CHASED BY DREAMS. As far as contemporary Indian arthouse cinema goes, I don't think I've seen much better. The DVD was just recently listed at U.S.-based e-tailer calcuttaweb.com.
Old 03-27-09, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Luck By Chance (Hindi - 2009)
I'll label LUCK BY CHANCE a modern classic of Indian cinema. Though the year is still early, when all is said and done, I really cannot foresee it not being my top pick for 2009. I can't quite believe it myself that I have nothing negative to say.
Hey Flixtime, I took your recommendation and I picked up the DVD for LUCK BY CHANCE...I'll tell you what I think of it after I watch it..

On a side note, my local Bollywood DVD stores are trying to up the prices of their dvds, either by raising the price or adding tax. I told them "no way, im not paying more than 20 in these bad times!" So they sold it to me for $20, yay! DVDs should be getting cheaper especially with Bollywood DVDs...
Old 03-27-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey Flixtime, I took your recommendation and I picked up the DVD for LUCK BY CHANCE...I'll tell you what I think of it after I watch it..
You just had to quote me stating that "modern classic" line again didn't you...now I'm really feeling the pressure on this one. After YAMADONGA I need to get back in the win column with you. For what it is worth, I purchased LUCK BY CHANCE too, not sure when I will get around to watching it again, but I'm interested in seeing it via the better print quality of the official DVD.
Old 03-27-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You just had to quote me stating that "modern classic" line again didn't you...now I'm really feeling the pressure on this one. After YAMADONGA I need to get back in the win column with you. For what it is worth, I purchased LUCK BY CHANCE too, not sure when I will get around to watching it again, but I'm interested in seeing it via the better print quality of the official DVD.
well, I'm sure that YAMADONGA was the most-professionally made Teguli film ever, but that's not saying much. I'm still hoping for a Filipino film to be someday as professionally-made as YAMADONGA. I'm happy Yamagonga exists, because now the next big budget epic Teguli film has to surpass Yamadonga. And maybe eventually, not only the production will be good, but also the acting and story. I will always support a film if a filmmaker is trying to progress as well (for their standards of course)...I don't expect the next big Teguli film to be like a Hollywood film. I do expect the next big Teguli film to be like a good Bollywood film. haha...
Old 03-27-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

On a side note, my local Bollywood DVD stores are trying to up the prices of their dvds, either by raising the price or adding tax. I told them "no way, im not paying more than 20 in these bad times!" So they sold it to me for $20, yay! DVDs should be getting cheaper especially with Bollywood DVDs...
I'm gonna run by my local store next week (I was there yesterday catching up with some older titles) and get Luck By Chance and hopefully Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, maybe 13B

Oh, and this store I just found, which is apparently old, not only didn't charge me tax, but they actually rounded the prices down, I figure that alone saved me about $10 total on 5 DVDs and a CD
Old 03-28-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

comparing Yamadonga to Lucky by chance is equivalent to comparing a piece of shit to a piece of gold. Thank you so much for recommending this! Lucky By Chance is an Indian masterpiece! I'll do a review of it later on...9.5 out of 10!!!!
Old 03-28-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Woo-hoo! Glad you liked it toddly! I look forward to reading your full take when you post your DVD review. Now that we've set the bar so high for this, I hope zombeaner (and others) can still see clear to approach it cleanly and without demanding too much from it.
Old 03-28-09, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

toddly, since you enjoy super-hero movies, here are a few clips to amuse you (perhaps). They are from a box-office hit, Telugu comedy movie - READY - that just came to DVD. I've seen the movie and while I don't recommend it, the clips of "Krrish" and "Spider-man" might be of minor interest to you.

Krrish in action - note, skip ahead to the 9-minute mark

continuation of Krrish in action - note, duration is first 1 minute and 15 seconds

Spider-man in action - note, first two minutes

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.