Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Japan's live-action GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES DVD available soon

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 03-07-09, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't even know Japan made a live-action adaptation of the animated masterpiece, GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES. It has a high grade at imdb.com, but it just looks like an awful low-budget adaptation.

It's available to buy at yesasia at the end of march for 50 bucks: http://www.yesasia.com/us/tombstone-...0-en/info.html

Anamorphic widescreen and English subtitles

Here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBBEf...eature=related
Here's the imdb page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1250968/
Old 03-07-09, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Japan's live-action GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES DVD available soon

Thanks for the news. I heard about the 2005 version which was more from the Aunt's perspective. Didn't realize they remade it again. The animated version moves me to tears every time I watch it. I'm looking forward to seeing this version.
Old 03-07-09, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The original is still one of the most depressing films I've ever seen. Now I'm interested in this.
Old 03-07-09, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The animated movie was heartbreaking enough---I don't think I could take it watching a real little girl in that performance.
Old 03-07-09, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
The animated movie was heartbreaking enough---I don't think I could take it watching a real little girl in that performance.
Seriously! The ending was just heartwrenching, I couldn't manage a live-action version. Just looking at the pic of the little girl in toddly's post, sheesh, I can't imagine it. I gave a copy to my sister and I warned her: When you watch the ending, you will cry hysterically so make sure you have a box of Kleenex next to you. When I talked to her some time later, I asked her about the film. She turned: Don't you EVER do that to me again!!! So I said, yea, but wasn't the movie really good? She replied: Yes! But that ending...oh my god.
Old 03-07-09, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BigSue View Post
Seriously! The ending was just heartwrenching, I couldn't manage a live-action version. Just looking at the pic of the little girl in toddly's post, sheesh, I can't imagine it. I gave a copy to my sister and I warned her: When you watch the ending, you will cry hysterically so make sure you have a box of Kleenex next to you. When I talked to her some time later, I asked her about the film. She turned: Don't you EVER do that to me again!!! So I said, yea, but wasn't the movie really good? She replied: Yes! But that ending...oh my god.
I agree---it was a really good movie, but that one ranks up there with the saddest ones I've ever seen.
Old 03-09-09, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What is the version from the Aunt's perspective called? Is it animated as well?

This is one of the few animated movies I could get my mom to watch. She really doesn't care for animation and didn't seem to eager to see this but by the end of it she was ready to track back to watch certain scenes again.

The live action version would be cool to see, but not for fifty bucks. Shoot.
Old 03-09-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 03-09-09, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
What is the version from the Aunt's perspective called? Is it animated as well?

The Aunt version is called Grave as well. It's live action.

From Wikipedia:
NTV in Japan produced a live-action version of Grave of the Fireflies, in commemoration of the 60th anniversary of the end of World War II. The movie aired on November 1, 2005. Like the anime, the live-action version of Grave of the Fireflies focuses on two siblings struggling to survive the final days of the war in Kobe, Japan. Unlike the animated version, it tells the story from the point of view of their cousin(the aunt's daughter) and deals with the issue of how the war-time environment could change a kind lady into a cold-blooded demon. It stars Japanese celebrity and actress Nanako Matsushima as the aunt, as well as Inoue Mao as their cousin. The movie is approximately 2 hours and 28 minutes long.