Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Does PAL speedup bother anyone around here?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Does PAL speedup bother anyone around here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-09, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Does PAL speedup bother anyone around here?

I have to admit, sometimes I cheat while watching films on the computer, by setting up speed at 1.1x or 1.2x (I've also tried 1.5x, it's way too much). The 1.1 one is noticeable, but generally bearable. The 1.2x speed becomes tiresome after a while, and I only use it if it's the only way to watch the entire film within some time interval that I have available.

I guess I could live with the 4% speed-up as far as the video frames go, the problem relies indeed in the higher sound frequency. Fortunately i don't watch telenovelas, already filled with high-pitched hysterical females (I tend to avoid these even IRL), so generally I'm OK.
Old 03-02-09, 05:03 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by John Hodson
No, it doesn't. I don't know of any stand alone player that has pitch correction.

I grew up with it, so it doesn't really irritate me. Only a small percentage of the population are sensitive to it apparently; some don't notice, to others it's like fingernails being drawn down a blackboard.
While I've never used the function, my Oppo remote has flat and sharp buttons on it, and I know that you can correct the pitch using them.
Old 03-02-09, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Everyone is talking about correcting the pitch, but I want to know is it possible to correct the frame rate? Correcting the pitch is easy compared to converting 25 fps to 24 fps in real time.
Old 03-02-09, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It bothers me, but so few of my films are PAL, it's not much of an issue. Generally the reason to import outweighs the PAL speedup issue.
Old 03-03-09, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Everyone is talking about correcting the pitch, but I want to know is it possible to correct the frame rate? Correcting the pitch is easy compared to converting 25 fps to 24 fps in real time.
It's easy with a computer under Windows with a filter named ReClock.
Old 03-06-09, 08:28 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Ron G
While I've never used the function, my Oppo remote has flat and sharp buttons on it, and I know that you can correct the pitch using them.
Which player? I can't figure out how to do this on my 971. Cheers, Leong
Old 03-06-09, 10:23 PM

Back in 2005, Daewoo sold a 9200N at Target that had the pitch controls too. I bought it as a gift for a buddy. I think I paid $40 for it.
Old 03-07-09, 01:08 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fuzzbucket
Which player? I can't figure out how to do this on my 971. Cheers, Leong
It's the 971H.

I'll have to screw around with it and see if I can figure it out.

I'm not sure where my manual is.
Old 03-07-09, 04:13 AM

For some reason, Oppo don't recommend using those buttons when playing movies or music; in the manual they say its best use is for Karaoke. They are also on my 983.
Old 03-07-09, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I watch a ton of dvd's in both formats and never ever noticed anything. So no doesn't bother me at all
Old 06-22-09, 07:37 PM

Yes it bothers me, when I can I buy ntsc dvd's. A few questions : do these regions 3, 4, region-free, etc, have speed-up too, or just the R2 ?
And since Blu-rays show at 24 pfs, if a movie is already shot at 25 fps (with HD/DV cameras f.ex.) , does it then slow down in a bluray ? And in a ntsc dvd ?
Are direct download of films in a computer have speed-up ?
Thanks
Old 06-24-09, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by vicvic2
Yes it bothers me, when I can I buy ntsc dvd's.

I meant : it bothers me, and whenever I can buy ntsc dvd's I do it.
Old 06-25-09, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by vicvic2
Yes it bothers me, when I can I buy ntsc dvd's. A few questions : do these regions 3, 4, region-free, etc, have speed-up too, or just the R2 ?
Region 4 is all PAL, I think. No idea about Region 3, but if it's PAL and the material is mastered from 24fps film, then yes.

You should also know that Region 2 also includes Japan, which is an NTSC country, so Region 2 discs from Japan are NTSC, not PAL.

Last edited by mythmaker18; 06-27-09 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-26-09, 08:39 AM

Yes, it does! I can see and hear the difference. But with any luck the film is engrossing enough that I get sucked into the story and forget about it after 5 minutes. Most of my PAL DVDs are UK TV, so it's not a problem.

The only time I find it absolutely unbearable is with American TV series such as Ally McBeal. But I bought those for Mom, and she doesn't seem to notice the difference.

Originally Posted by dleedlee
Back in 2005, Daewoo sold a 9200N at Target that had the pitch controls too. I bought it as a gift for a buddy. I think I paid $40 for it.
I have that one or one similar to it (the name on the front is Portland but it is Daewoo-made), and I've found that the pitch controls make it sound tinny and strange. It's not too obvious over speakers but it's intolerable with headphones.
Old 06-27-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never had a problem with it, but 98% of what I buy from other regions is British TV on DVD, and somebody mentioned the problem isn't on British TV shows, so I guess that's why I never noticed.

But what about British movies originally recorded for PAL? I can't say I ever noticed on that either.
Old 06-27-09, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
But what about British movies originally recorded for PAL? I can't say I ever noticed on that either.
Well, if you're talking about cinematic films (i.e. exhibited in theatres), then all of those would've been shot 24fps (and, yes, sped up 4% when shown on TV to get PAL/50).

If you're talking about film that was shot with the intention of being shown on PAL television, (such as location film inserted into BBC TV shows in the '70s and '80s) then that film would've been shot at 25fps, so that it could be more easily edited into the 2" master videotapes. Shows that were shot on film specifically for British TV were often shot at 25fps, because the TV companies knew they didn't want to deal with the speedup problem. So, the film inserts in BBC shows (like Doctor Who, Monty Python, etc) have always played at the proper speed in PAL countries.**

For the ITC series that were produced entirely on film (like The Prisoner, UFO, etc.), these were shot primarily for foreign syndication and particularly with eyes on America, so those were shot at the cinematic speed and would've played 4% fast in the UK (I'd say it was probably felt better to play 4% fast than slowing it down). ITC shot all their filmed series* (at that time) in the "international" speed of 24fps.

*—one exception is Space 1999, where a lot of stuff was shot 25fps to avoid "vertical roll" on the TV monitors in Moonbase Alpha, with dialogue looped at 24fps (so it would sound right when converted to 24fps prints for the USA).

So, in short: all cinematic movies will be affected by the PAL speedup, as will all American-filmed TV shows. Filmed programmes that were made for British consumption likely are not affected (and, thus, might mean that NTSC version could be playing 4% too slow!). Of course, British TV that was completely on-film is rarer, anyway, and most likely, any American DVDs of such was probably standards-converted from a PAL duplication tape (rather than from the originaly film elements) and, thus, probably wouldn't suffer a slowdown, just a standards conversion.

**Also, American showings of the "mixed-format" programming (film locations, taped studio scenes, like Doctor Who) have always played at the proper speed over here, too, as they weren't re-edited from the original film/tape sources, but just standards-converted from the original 2" PAL masters.

Last edited by mythmaker18; 06-27-09 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-29-09, 11:37 AM

I think the more familar you are with a film, the more it is indeed noticable.

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
produced entirely on film (like The Prisoner, UFO, etc.), these were shot primarily for foreign syndication and particularly with eyes on America, so those were shot at the cinematic speed and would've played 4% fast in the UK (I'd say it was probably felt better to play 4% fast than slowing it down). ITC shot all their filmed series* (at that time) in the "international" speed of 24fps.
Any idea about the show "Lewis"? I bought it a few weeks ago but must admit I haven't started watching it yet. Does it say anywhere, say on Amazon.uk, if it was 25fps or 24fps?
Old 06-29-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anything other than 1080/24 bothers me. So, yes, I notice it - and I find it irritating.
Old 07-02-09, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by dvd_chance
I think the more familar you are with a film, the more it is indeed noticable.

Any idea about the show "Lewis"? I bought it a few weeks ago but must admit I haven't started watching it yet. Does it say anywhere, say on Amazon.uk, if it was 25fps or 24fps?

Since that is a recent show (and primarily for the British market), I seriously doubt it would be affected by speedup. I'm sure it was shot with PAL in mind.
Old 07-02-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A little. I've always found PAL discs look inferior on my R1 eq anyways, but sometimes I'll notice the voices and/or score sound slightly higher-pitched than they should. Still, most import discs I buy are for the extras, not the pq, so it's not always much of an issue.
Old 07-02-09, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, it definitely bothers me, especially, as others have stated,with films or actors with whom I'm very familiar.

I purchased a German edition of My Name is Nobody, because it was definitive, but watching the film is very difficult with the speedup. I'm a musician as well, and I'm constantly correcting the pitch in my head.
Old 07-02-09, 07:30 PM
Banned

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there really any speed-up ? American stuff is filmed at 24fps, right ? And UK fps is 29.97. How would that make the movie speed up ? You're just showing more frames in the same amount of time, aren't you ? Wouldn't lowering the fps make the UK seem slower ?
Old 07-03-09, 03:15 AM
Mod Emeritus

I've linked to a couple of earlier discussions on this topic in a post I made higher up the thread.

YMMV but it seems to me at this stage that throwaway comments are less likely to take the discussion further forward than, say, something that demonstrates more evidence of looking through and verifying the objective elements of the matter before maybe moving on to the subjective aspects.

I know that wikis are sometimes condemned as the scribblings of amateurs but it may be that the following would assist to some extent in clarifying the last post: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate
Old 07-03-09, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there really any speed-up ? American stuff is filmed at 24fps, right ? And UK fps is 29.97. How would that make the movie speed up ? You're just showing more frames in the same amount of time, aren't you ? Wouldn't lowering the fps make the UK seem slower ?
Your facts are confused.

Theatrical movies worldwide are filmed at 24 frames per second.

NTSC video runs at 60 fields per second (techically 59.94), which is the equivalent of 30 frames per second (29.97, but it's OK to round up). In order to convert a 24 fps source to 30 fps video, a process called 3:2 Pulldown is employed. The first frame in the source is multiplied 3 times, the second frame twice, the third frame 3 times, and so on. This maintains the original playback speed, but introduces a little bit of judder, most noticeable during slow camera pans.

PAL video runs at 50 Hz (25 fps). In order to convert a 24 fps film to 25 fps video, the film is merely sped up 4%. There is no pulldown process employed.
Old 07-09-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Never really bothered me before.

The only time I remember it bothering me was recently when I was watching my R2 copy of "The Fly".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.