Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

recommendations for some good horror/action flix

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi guys
i just bought a region free dvd player and wanted to build up my foreign
film library so i am coming to the experts lol. i know there is a must see thread already but i wanted to know about the best horror and action films only.so if you guys could give me some recommendations that would be awesome
Old 02-26-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnny danger
hi guys
i just bought a region free dvd player and wanted to build up my foreign
film library...
A couple of thoughts:
1) You're a smart man
2) Be careful what you wish for, aka welcome to poverty row!

Kidding aside, maybe help us out with a little more insight into what you might be looking for (what you've seen, what you've liked). I understand horror and action. Any feel for what might most interest you - Asian, European, older films, more modern films, the absolute most recent films (IP MAN, THE GOOD THE BAD THE WEIRD, SAUNA, GOMORRA, LET THE RIGHT ONE IN, RED CLIFF 2, ROUGH CUT), etc.? Since you asked about MARTYRS in the other thread, is it fair to assume you've seen the recent French horror films released here in R1 - INSIDE, ILS, HAUTE TENSION, FRONTIERS, etc. Depending on what you've seen in the category of Foreign action and horror, you are lucky in the sense that it is well-represented in R1. Have you seen the recent Norwegian horror film FRITT VILT, it was recently released in R1.

I expect a few of the fellows around here might suggest getting the UK DVD for DRIVE (1997) if you are looking for an action film; the R1 DVD is a shorter cut of the film. In terms of horror, something like the UK Masters of Cinema DVD for KWAIDAN might be a nice choice; the R1 Criterion DVD is a shorter version of the film. But then again it is a different style of horror film when compared to something like the recent French stuff. Even action is a broad category where you have stuff like Hong Kong martial arts-crime-wuxia films, Japanese yakuza or samurai films, South Korean jopok films, classic French crime films, British crime films, Russian war films, Italian cult films (crime, sword and sandal, Spaghetti Westerns). Horror too is broad from the more recent graphic French stuff to others such as older Italian giallo/horror films, Hammer horror, recent Spanish horror, recent Asian long-haired ghost films, etc.

Anyway, I'm just trying to draw up some sort of perimeter so folks can better help you out.
Old 02-26-09, 12:21 PM

Re: recommendations for some good horror/action flix

well i can really say im interested in all types new and old but if you want to me to be
more specific i really enjoyed oldboy, battle royale and seven samurai and i just pre ordered the good the bad and the weird. i would say that i am into the more over the top action movies. i am a big fan of tarantino's/Rodriguez movies if that helps and as far as horror i am the same way i love the old silent films like nosferatu or stuff like martyrs or let the right one in even though i have never seen the two. another thing is im a huge fan of Guillermo del Toro and his creepy fantasy worlds. i loved the the orphanage and shiver but i really didnt know what category to put them in
hope this helps
thanks
Old 02-26-09, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a bittersweet life, (end thread)
Old 02-26-09, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
a bittersweet life, (end thread)
i heard about this movie before is it that good?
Old 02-26-09, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well i can really say im interested in all types new and old but if you want to me to be
more specific i really enjoyed oldboy, battle royale and seven samurai and i just pre ordered the good the bad and the weird. i would say that i am into the more over the top action movies. i am a big fan of tarantino's/Rodriguez movies if that helps and as far as horror i am the same way i love the old silent films like nosferatu or stuff like martyrs or let the right one in even though i have never seen the two. another thing is im a huge fan of Guillermo del Toro and his creepy fantasy worlds. i loved the the orphanage and shiver but i really didnt know what category to put them in
hope this helps
thanks
Yes, the info. you've provided is very helpful. If you liked OLDBOY, then - though I woudn't necessarily call them action films - maybe try SYMPATHY FOR LADY VENGEANCE and or SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE from the same director...maybe the former as it has some more stylish leanings as in OLDBOY. Since you enjoyed SEVEN SAMURAI, you might also be interested in HARAKIRI and SAMURAI REBELLION (two of the most highly respected samurai films besides SEVEN SAMURAI). Or since you are a fan of Tarantino and/or more over-the-top fare, try the LONE WOLF AND CUB films, the two LADY SNOWBLOOD films, the ZATOICHI films, or some Japanese Pinky Violence films too. Besides samurai films, Tarantino was also influenced by Hong Kong martial arts/wuxia films so maybe try some of the Shaw Brothers films...COME DRINK WITH ME, AVENGING EAGLE, 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN, etc....literally hundreds to choose from. Tarantino was also influenced by Italian cult fare, so maybe try some films from directors such as Mario Bava, Dario Argento, Lucio Fulci, Sergio Martino, etc. A wealth are available in R1 so something stylish like SUSPIRIA, BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE, or KILL BABY KILL could be of interest. Or from the same period a movie like LIVING DEAD AT THE MANCHESTER MORGUE. If you want to try recent Spanish horror, you could get some bang-for-your-buck by picking up the R1 boxset for 6 FILMS TO KEEP YOU AWAKE. I paid maybe $70 for the Spanish import but you can pick up the R1 box for less than $20 during the next Deep Discount sale. If you're super eager to start importing, the UK disc for the Czech film VALERIE AND HER WEEK OF WONDERS might be of interest. As to Asian action, films such as SHA PO LANG and EXILED should be at the top of your list. INVISIBLE TARGET from Hong Kong also has a ton of action if you might enjoy Jackie Chan-type action films.

As you might have guessed, when it comes to options in the category of Foreign action and horror, you have an absolute wealth of choices.
Old 02-26-09, 02:26 PM

wow! just wow
thanks flixtime i will be looking into some of these films for sure i just watched the
VALERIE AND HER WEEK OF WONDERS trailer and that movies looks creepy as hell lol

any other peoples opinions would be apresheated as well
Old 02-26-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

flix got you well covered especially with things not available in R1. I would definately go with any of the films he has mentioned especially on the ones you said you enjoyed.
Old 02-26-09, 02:52 PM

what about sci-fi? any good ones you can recommend
Old 02-26-09, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Night of the Eagle (a.k.a. Burn Witch, Burn!) is an absolutely fantastic British horror film, smart and atmospheric in the vein of Val Lewton's films. It's only £4.98 from Amazon right now, so buy it immediately! You'll thank me later.
Old 02-26-09, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i heard about this movie before is it that good?
Yes, Bittersweet Life is that good. Oozing with both style and substance.. It reminds me a bit of something that might fall between Guy Ritchie and Jean Pierre Melville's, Le Samourai.

Also, in addition to some old school Shaw brother films, check out a couple of Prachya Pinkaew films; Chocolate and Ong Bak for some serious Thai boxing performances. Chocolate takes awhile to build up but once there, you're in fifth gear with some amazing martial artistry/gymnastic/stunt performances .. The finale is one of the sickest (stunt related) sequences that I've seen in an action film for a long time. The UK release has a ton of extras (far more than the region 1 release) that gives you more appreciation of all involved in the process. Ong Bak started it all for Pinkaew .. starring, Tony Jaa. Silly plot and thin story, but the action sequences are high impact and intense ..more than making up for where it lacks. Both ..very good stuff.

Lastly, for sci-fi/horror, try to track down this immediately - Atomik Circus. It's all I have to say

Edit to add - I didn't realize Atomik Circus was no longer available from ethaicd. But there's a current auction on eBay (no affiliation) for a penny...

Last edited by visitor Q; 02-26-09 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-26-09, 07:38 PM

Man, Tokyo Gore Police was ka-raaaaaaazy. If you like over the top stuff and not so 'feet on the ground' I highly recommend it.
Old 02-26-09, 07:53 PM

yes tristen i have seen only some of the tokyo gore police because it made me sick to my stomach watching it. i couldnt even eat and watch this at the same time lol
Old 02-26-09, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by tristen
Man, Tokyo Gore Police was ka-raaaaaaazy. If you like over the top stuff and not so 'feet on the ground' I highly recommend it.
Yeah films like TGP, Machine Girl and Meatball Machine are definitely over the top and crazy, but I'd probably drop down a film like Versus (action/samurai/yakuza/fantasy/zombie) as a recommendation before hitting up those babies. I love oddball Japanese films (at least my collection indicates as such) and although I do own TGP I'm not really a big fan ..or I just didn't get it. Same with Machine Girl. Meatball Machine on the other hand was quite good ...especially the short, Reject or Death (probably because they threw in a little smut ). Classic!

I just think this sub-genre of Japanese gore-splatterfests is geared towards a fairly specific audience and I'm not sure I'd hand out a straight rec on it.

Last edited by visitor Q; 02-26-09 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-27-09, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also wanted to mention [REC] as there is a 2 disc version from the UK. doubt that the US will ever get a 2 disc set.
Old 02-27-09, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
I also wanted to mention [REC] as there is a 2 disc version from the UK. doubt that the US will ever get a 2 disc set.
i bought [REC] about a week ago i loved it. it was way better than quarantine and very creepy
Old 02-27-09, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A few more to consider:

A TALE OF TWO SISTERS - South Korean horror
SAVE THE GREEN PLANET - South Korean multiple genres (action, comedy, sci-fi)
BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF - France multiple genres (action, horror, historical, romance, Monica Bellucci )

The three aforementioned films are ones seen by many of us in this forum.

If you want a foreign sci-fi essential then you might consider the original Russian version of SOLARIS (1972), keeping in minding it leans much more arthouse than commercial.

Some sci-fi-ish films among recent fare that some of us are waiting for are the two Spanish films TIMECRIMES and TRES DIAS. They are currently available on English subtitled DVDs from Spain.
Old 03-02-09, 01:07 AM

ok so i bought three of the dvds that u guys recommended so far. i will be buying more once my money gets to me but i jumped on some of the deals i picked up
VALERIE AND HER WEEK OF WONDERS
Night of the Eagle
Atomik Circus
i jumped on that ebay auction for the atomik circus and got it for one cent i thought that was a good deal so thanks visitor Q!
Old 03-14-09, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BUMP

johnny danger, if you have access to the cable channel TCM (Turner Classic Movies), then they are showing the original Russian version of SOLARIS (1972) this coming Sunday night (technically Monday morning). Since I mentioned the movie in an earlier post, it could be a nice chance - assuming you haven't already seen it - for you to watch the movie without laying out the cash for the Criterion DVD.
Old 03-14-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No problem at all Johnny danger. Since you got it for so cheap I won't feel terrible about recommending it if it bombs ...

It's a strange little film (blends elements of horror/romance/comedy/fantasy), but it's very entertaining.

Let us know how it is ...
Old 03-15-09, 01:23 AM

thanks flixtime i will definitely be watching that and its around my time schedule yay!
Old 03-15-09, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

why are people in here recommending films that are already on NTSC region 1? haha

The best recommendation so far has been Atomic Circus...

Here are some ones you will like. All are anamorphic widescreen with English subtitles:

BERNIE: French cult/underground, black-comedy, ultra-violent film
http://www.amazon.fr/Bernie-Collecto...7098705&sr=8-4

BICHUNMOO: Korea's Croutching Tiger Hidden Dragon (you can get the UK PAL or Korean NTSC DVD)
http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/bichunmoo.html

CRYING FREEMAN
: English languaged French action, martial arts film, best version only released on French DVD
http://www.amazon.fr/Crying-Freeman-...7099125&sr=8-1

G.O.R.A.: Turkish huge budget sci-fi comedy
http://www.tulumba.com/storeItem.asp?ic=VI270062WI579

MINDGAME: Japanese animated action/sci-fi crazy awesome film. Worth it at any cost
http://www.yesasia.com/us/mind-game-...0-en/info.html

VALLEY OF THE FLOWERS
: Tibetan metaphysical action movie, awesome and unique, and hottest actress ever!
http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=32285

I know you have only asked about action, horror, and/or sci-fi films, but now that you have a multi-region dvd player, I highly recommend you to buy Emir Kusturica's films on DVD without question:
Black Cat White Cat: UK or Australian PAL DVD
Arizona Dream: France PAL DVD
Life Is A Miracle: UK PAL DVD
Old 03-16-09, 12:43 AM

thanks toddly6666 the bernie and mindgame look awesome i will check those out for sure
one question can i order from the amazon fr site i know i can order from the uk amazon
but didnt think i would work with the french site
Old 03-16-09, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks toddly6666 the bernie and mindgame look awesome i will check those out for sure
one question can i order from the amazon fr site i know i can order from the uk amazon
but didnt think i would work with the french site
yeah, i order from Amazon UK, Amazon France, Amazon Germany all the time. Amazon is great. The only disadvantage about Amazon from other countries is that you usually cannot order used DVDs. Most sellers seem to only sell their used DVDs locally, and not internationally.
Old 03-16-09, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

:tip-toes back into thread:

So johnny danger, are you making plans to go all Sitting Bull & Crazy Horse on me for wasting three hours of your life, or did you survive SOLARIS reasonably okay? I'll admit the possibility exists that I might've sorta thrown you into the deep end with that recommendation. I could easily recall a time not too long ago when I would have hated that movie. That's why it was a bit of self-preservation in my pointing out that TCM showing to you. Like visitor Q referenced earlier, this way I wouldn't feel guilty over wasting thirty bucks of your hard-earned cash.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.