Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone know where I can purchase the uncut version of Malèna?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Anyone know where I can purchase the uncut version of Malèna?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-09, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anyone know where I can purchase the uncut version of Malèna?

How's the subtitles on the Thai DVD? I have the Korean one and remember that parts of the dialogue was never translated.
Old 03-02-09, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by CritterYawn
The best would be to have the most artistically valuable film in the best technical presentation, and hey, the wallet has a word to say too.
Hello again,

Here's what I would recommend: If you are going to order DVDs from Italy make sure that you could get something that isn't available elsewhere. For example, I would avoid obtaining Rocco e i suoi fratelli through the Italian vendor. I'd recommend that you get the MOC UK disc (I have both, and they use the same master with the same contrast issues). The Italian disc comes with a lovely booklet, but I am going to assume that you are not fluent in Italian so it is probably best that you get the UK disc (the MOC version comes with a nice booklet as well)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rocco-his-br...6058170&sr=1-1

Next, you could get the Artificial Eye release of Tickets. Again, spend your money on something that isn't available elsewhere. Here's the UK version:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tickets-DVD-...6058110&sr=1-1

Marco Bellocchio's Gli Occhi la bocca is a great disc. Keep it. I believe that I left a review on this site before I left, so take a look at it.

Other discs that I would recommend (all English-friendly with top-notch transfers):

1. Bernardo Bertolucci's Prima della Revoluzione

2. Michelangelo Antonioni's I vinti

3. Marco Ferreri's La Cagna (The Bitch)

4. Alberto Latuada's Il Cappotto

5. Pier Paolo Pasolini's Una vita Violenta

6. Pier Paolo Pasolini's La Rabbia

7. Antonio Pietrangeli's La Visita (lovely Sandra Milo)

8. Pietro Germi's Gelosia (recently obtained)

9. Luchino Visconti's La terra trema (newly and fully restored
cut)

10. Le bambole (the shorts; beautiful Monica Vitti, Gina Lollobrigida, etc)

11. L'aria salata (a modern, very strong film about guilt and redemption)

12. Gianni Amelio's Colpire al cuore (the great Jean Louis Trintignant)

13. Alessandro Blasetti's 1860 (double disc for the epic film)

14. Francesco Maselli's Gli sbandati (timeless love story)

etc.

If you are open to more contemporary films, I could look quickly through my library and provide a few suggestions again.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 03-02-09 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-03-09, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great suggestions, Pro-B. Thank you!

Yes, after i kind of figured out a way to get R1 releases close to the lowest price point, the next logical step would be to ladder the other retailers such that to get "best bang for the buck". Alas, I am not planning major investments in the next year or two, after which I expect to arrive to a more comfortable income (and, conversely, less available time, unfortunately). So this budgeting issue is not insignificant for the time being.
The language issue is not that big, i can understand about 90% of the spoken Italian. It's more about the others around me who might want to take advantage of the films too. But, if a certain title is best or only in Italian, I might do it.

This list is long enough to make me do some research for a while (I'm not familiar with all of them, and their total price kind of rules out the no-brainer blind buying). A also have to admit that, due to various factors, I am not exactly up to date. If I will have to choose between a newer release (maybe not completely settled in the world of critics, and for a premium) and an older title which I wanted long ago, chances are that I'll choose the latter.

But this should not refrain you from recommending them, and I have the feeling that since you had the Italian cinema well-represented, I cannot expect bad things coming from your direction. After all, this could benefit even other people's prices/retailers ladder optimization.

Thanks again!

fLoreign
Old 03-03-09, 08:38 AM

the italian website only indicates italian subtitles for the hard of hearing on this, is that a mistake? what other more contemporary films would you recommend?
Old 03-03-09, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still no word on the Thai DVD of Malena? The cover looks the same as the uncut Korean DVD.

It's sold here pretty cheap for $8.50 at http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=43481
Old 03-03-09, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
French 2007 re-release for 9.99€ on Amazon.fr.

Old 03-03-09, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Still no word on the Thai DVD of Malena?
On page 1.
Old 03-03-09, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dereko1969
the italian website only indicates italian subtitles for the hard of hearing on this, is that a mistake? what other more contemporary films would you recommend?
not a mistake.
Old 03-03-09, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tutut
French 2007 re-release for 9.99€ on Amazon.fr.

FYI:

Récapitulatif de commande Amazon.fr
Articles : EUR 8,35
Livraison : EUR 10,90

Total HT : EUR 19,25
TVA : EUR 0,00
Montant total : EUR 19,25

I think I will stick with the Italian retailer for now, given that there are a few other titles I am interested in (see above posts) so I can mitigate the shipping cost.
Old 03-08-09, 07:15 PM

@Pro-B:
I have to iron out two details from your list, since I've done my research homework in the meantime:
1. Antonioni's I vinti doesn't seem to be available.
2. I was a bit confused about Una vita violenta: while the director is Paolo Heusch, aside from him, Pasolini appears as a writer. And I remember vaguely that this film is playing something important in Pasolini's career. I'll check into my references (it's not Cahiers, I wish I could do that).

Last edited by CritterYawn; 03-08-09 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-19-09, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Running Man
By the way, I haven't gone through the movie with this disc yet but from what I quickly scanned I can see no usual Thai censorship at all as described above. However, just to make sure, as soon as I watch it I'll report back.
Running Man, have you had a chance to watch the Thai DVD yet? Is it the full uncut directors cut version, including all the additional nudity? Is there any signs of Thai censorship evident on the DVD itself?
Old 04-19-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

@Pro-B:
I have to iron out two details from your list, since I've done my research homework in the meantime:
1. Antonioni's I vinti doesn't seem to be available.
2. I was a bit confused about Una vita violenta: while the director is Paolo Heusch, aside from him, Pasolini appears as a writer. And I remember vaguely that this film is playing something important in Pasolini's career. I'll check into my references (it's not Cahiers, I wish I could do that).
I must have missed this post. Let me know if you need help getting these discs, I will point you in the right direction.

Pro-B
Old 04-20-09, 03:06 AM

Oh, thank you, Pro-B. So far, I've noticed in another thread that your nudges were helpful to some people.
As for me, so far I wrote down the list in my notebook, compared the new titles with the older ones, gave them different priorities and started sitting on them. It dawned on me in the meantime that in the next period I will have less time for Radio Gaga, Cinema Paradiso and TV Screen: after BS and More S, comes Piled Higher and Deeper...

I see you're here for quite a while; will you still be here when I'll need it? I hope so...
Old 04-20-09, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Oh, thank you, Pro-B. So far, I've noticed in another thread that your nudges were helpful to some people.
As for me, so far I wrote down the list in my notebook, compared the new titles with the older ones, gave them different priorities and started sitting on them. It dawned on me in the meantime that in the next period I will have less time for Radio Gaga, Cinema Paradiso and TV Screen: after BS and More S, comes Piled Higher and Deeper...

I see you're here for quite a while; will you still be here when I'll need it? I hope so...
Well, if I am not here, you should know where to find me PM me here or there (other forum), I would be glad to assist you with whatever I could.

Pro-B