Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE WEIRD - R3 Korea, 3-disc DVD - pre-order for March release

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE WEIRD - R3 Korea, 3-disc DVD - pre-order for March release

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE WEIRD - R3 Korea, 3-disc DVD - pre-order for March release

Originally Posted by Lastyear
I have this on a one disc Bonzai Media release. From Cine-East. $18.99 with shipping. It looks great-better than some blu rays. It plays on region 1 players and is uncut.
Do you mean Banzai Media?
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/47...n-company.html
Old 02-21-09, 10:49 AM

Re: THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE WEIRD - R3 Korea, 3-disc DVD - pre-order for March release

Originally Posted by dleedlee
No-it says Bonzai -I double checked.
Old 02-21-09, 12:33 PM

It looks sketchy to me.

So I just received "The Magnificent Butcher" DVD from the amazon.com used merchandise marketplace. Sigh. I KNEW this would happen! I wanted the version pictured below and like a fool didn't double-check with the seller that that was the version they had! Oh well.

What I AM stuck with is the DVD release from "Bonzai Media Corporation." Until now I hadn't heard of them before. I did a search in the forums and it seems like they are a Taiwan budget/bootleg label.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=6311

Bonzai also released The Banquet on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Banquet/dp/B000MVMJF6
Old 02-21-09, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I received three copies of the Bonzai version of "The Good the Bad the Weird" and they all froze up near the end of the movie on my PS3, HD DVD player and Oppo DVD player, so buyer beware. I went ahead and preorderd the legit Korean release.
Old 02-26-09, 01:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

so is the 136min version exclusive to the Limited Edition?
Old 02-26-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giles
so is the 136min version exclusive to the Limited Edition?
If I were a betting man, I'd guess the answer to your question is going to be "yes". From what I recall reading (in all likelihood at Twitch), the shorter 129 minute internation version is actually the director's preferred choice. I seem to recall mention of the Korean and Cannes cuts being longer, but that the 129 minute international version was the best, most finely-tuned version. There is now a Taiwan DVD available and if YesAsia is accurate then that is also the 129 minute cut (or 130 as listed at YesAsia).
Old 02-26-09, 07:04 PM

It will be released on blu-ray in UK on June 1st!!

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/9...d/Product.html
Old 02-26-09, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres a region free version on hkflix.com that is 13.95 by a company called PMP Entertainment. Doesnt say the release date, its bare bones and run time is 130 min.
Old 02-26-09, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Theres a region free version on hkflix.com that is 13.95 by a company called PMP Entertainment. Doesnt say the release date, its bare bones and run time is 130 min.
PMP is a Malaysian distributor (legit). They released Tazza: The High Rollers, a lot of Korean TV series, etc.
Old 02-26-09, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i might get that version instead hoping the transfer is good. I bought "Eye For an Eye" from hk flix, thats region free and the transfer is horrible, it looks like a pal to ntsc transfer and only has 2.0 sound, not a 5.1 track like advertised
Old 02-27-09, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i might get that version instead hoping the transfer is good. I bought "Eye For an Eye" from hk flix, thats region free and the transfer is horrible, it looks like a pal to ntsc transfer and only has 2.0 sound, not a 5.1 track like advertised

Their transfers pq are good from what I've seen. Note that on Tazza the dvd was 1.85 and not the OAR 2.35. Specs on the back cover not really reliable. So just be aware.
Old 03-12-09, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got the Korean set today, and as usual, there are only English subtitles for the 2 main features, and for none of the extras.

I guess for people willing to wait for subtitled extras, in June comes the UK 2 disc from Icon
Old 03-13-09, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

This was posted over on The Import Forum. It might effect any K2DVD.com orders:

Dear friends,
thank you for you all who purchased the DVD from us. Though, we have to
tell you about the disc error on the 2nd disc (International Version) from this
package.

Today, we were reported about an error from a few domestic buyer. So, we
first stopped selling this item. The distributor CJ Ent. also know now what
happened on the 2nd disc. As you see, the bad pixel error occurs while the
movie is running (position: 1h 50m 13s).

Currently, we are still waiting for the official statements from CJ Ent. how they
will take care of this matter. We guess that they probably manufacture the
2nd disc again and re-distribute it in the same package since it's the usual
solution for such manufacturing error.

While we're waiting for CJ's feedbacks, you can report it if you faced the same
error while you're watching the DVD (International Version). We'll try to do our
best to solve this problem. As prompt as we get CJ's answer, we will post
a notice again.

Truely sorry for your time and trouble
Your K2DVD.com-Team
Old 03-13-09, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My copy has it, but its actually barely noticeable. My copy had some digital error on the bottom part like the pictures, but the colors didn't go way off like that.
Old 03-13-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

manicsounds ... is the color pixelation prolonged or is it only limited to roughly a second's worth of time?

My preorder copy is in transit, and I'd like to get a better handle on the gravity of the error before deciding what to do. If it's only a second or two I won't lose any sleep over it.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-09, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it's only a second or so, I'm not worrying about it either.
Old 03-13-09, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would say about a second, for that scene at 1:50:13.
Old 03-13-09, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got this from the place I ordered it from. Sounds like it is just a second.

Hi Andrew,

I just got a notice from our Korean distributor that one of the DVD's are defective. On the second disc, there is an International version of the film which is about 10 minutes shorter than the Korean cut of the film on the first disc. About an hour and 50 minutes into the film there is a glitch in the picture. I attached a screen shot so you can see it. They said the glitch lasts a second and then goes away. The rest of the DVD's are fine. CJ Entertainment is re-pressing but I am unsure as to how long that will take. Would you still like to get the DVD, or should I send you a refund? For ourselves personally, we were leaning towards picking it up because I'd probably just watch the first version anyway, but I don't want to sell a DVD I know has a problem.
Old 03-13-09, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, mine's on the way and I think I'm just gonna keep it, it seems like a huge hassle to have to send it all the way back to HK for a 1 second glitch.
Old 03-13-09, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

So any info/recommendation on which version is better and/or to watch first?

And without spoilers, what are the difference (and run-times) between the Korean and International versions?
Old 03-14-09, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Disc 1 - Korean Theatrical Cut (136min)

Disc 2 - International Cut (129min)

I haven't seen either yet so I can't compare versions.
Old 03-14-09, 08:10 AM

I think I've read that the shorter cut is the Director's preference. I'll try and dig up a link.

Okay, here it is:

The edited version of "The Good, The Bad, The Weird" that screened at the Cannes International Film Festival will be coming to Korean theaters on August 6th.

"We received a lot of requests from the public regarding the Cannes cut of 'The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.' That is why we will be releasing that version of the movie to ten CGV theaters on the 6th," explained a representative of the film's distribution company, CJ Entertainment.

The Cannes Film Festival version of the movie is approximately three minutes shorter than the two hours and thirteen minutes of the Korean theater version. CJ Entertainment added, "The endings of the two versions are different, with the Cannes cut reflecting the end that director Kim Ji-woon originally wanted. We believe that audiences in Korea will be pleasantly surprised."

http://english.kbs.co.kr/entertainme...839_11858.html

Last edited by dleedlee; 03-14-09 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-16-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)

Well, watched mine on Sat. night - international cut.

I vaguely recall a blip of color when a similar shot was on screen - but nothing as large as the one in this screencap. It was literally blink and you'll miss it - I've had much worse artifacting in a lot of other dvds. Definitely not worth sending back for.
Old 03-17-09, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I watched the Korean version tonight. Wow, what an amazing piece this was. Kim Jee Woon does it again. If only someone would re-issue Bittersweet Life in the English speaking world....
Old 03-17-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know what I love? This technical issue is such a tiny tiny little thing yet CJ Entertainment is planning on repressing the disc for re-issue. Yet out here, some glaring issues on major releases are usually ignored by the studios.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.