International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

DASAVATHAARAAM Tamil film (Kamal Haasan)

Old 12-29-08, 10:39 PM

DASAVATHAARAAM Tamil film (Kamal Haasan)

I know this Indian film by director K.S. Ravikumar had some U.S. playdates see the official website: http://www.dasavathaaram.com/dasavathaaram-home.html
but I'm curious to know if and when an official dvd release might be offered?

I know there are alot of YouTube clips out there as well as Torrent downloads for this film but I'm a purist and would prefer a professional dvd of this controversial yet entertaining film.

http://talk.ragalahari.com/talk/showthread.php?p=1717
Old 12-29-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

any day now...i've been waiting forever as well....
Old 12-30-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oh hell yeah me too
Old 12-30-08, 07:30 PM

Well, let's see who'll be the first Talker to tell us which e-tailer has this one ready to ship!!!
Old 04-25-09, 12:27 PM

Re: DASAVATHAARAAM Tamil film (Kamal Haasan)

Originally Posted by TheDoug View Post
Well, let's see who'll be the first Talker to tell us which e-tailer has this one ready to ship!!!
Well, I guess that would be me. I just got hold of a copy from IndiaHutHouse.com. First the positive, they shipped it extremely fast since their warehouse is located in Highland MD. The bad news, it's not subtitled in English. In fact, it doesn't have any subtitles!!!
Their website notes there are English titles but alas, they were wrong! (I may still keep it since it wasn't all that expensive)

Besides DASAVATHARAM there's another movie on the disc as well, PAMMAL K. SAMBANTHAM. This is on the Sruthilayam label which is situated in Canada. Video quality is good. Allegedly I read elsewhere that Sony Pictures has acquired the rights to the official release worldwide.

http://www.indiahuthouse.com/new/TAM...n=Dasavatharam
Old 04-27-09, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doug, there’s a very high chance that what you have on your hands is a bootleg. Such ‘2-in-1’ DVDs are very popular in Malaysia and Singapore and they are actually openly sold in respectable shops, touting them as the real thing.

If you really like this show and want to own it on original DVD, I suggest looking out for the one put out by Ayngaran DVD.
Old 04-29-09, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood View Post
If you really like this show and want to own it on original DVD, I suggest looking out for the one put out by Ayngaran DVD.
Ayngaran hasn't released it yet.

Man, I hated this film. The story was terrible and overly self-important, and Kamal is too good an actor to hide behind a series of poorly done makeup and accents. The Balram Naidu character was funny and had good makeup, but turning Kamal into an old lady or a Japanese man or a white man (or George W. Bush) was laughable.
Old 05-01-09, 02:22 PM

DVD releasing May 7th

http://eshop.ayngaran.com/ww/product...roducts_id=614
Old 05-01-09, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ravid View Post
Thanks Ravid for the link. This dvd at least has english subtitles!!!
Old 06-27-09, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just saw this film on the Ayngaran dvd. Wow...i'm speechless. Entertaining, but pretty damn bad. I can't believe the make-up artists got away with the work they did. Western Hollywood make-up artists as well. Kamal Hassan has presence though - I do like him. It would be nice to see him in a non-Indian movie.

The movie went downhill once Malika Sherawat left the screen. She is so hot.

Concerning Tamil movies, I'm going to stick with S. Shankar films...

MOVIE: 6
DVD VIDEO: 7.5
DVD AUDIO: 8
ENGLISH SUBTITLES: 6
EXTRAS: 0
Old 06-30-09, 05:26 PM

Why a 6 rating for the subtitles? Are they small in size or just awkwardly translated?
Old 06-30-09, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheDoug View Post
Why a 6 rating for the subtitles? Are they small in size or just awkwardly translated?
size is fine, it's just awkwardly translated - It's translated like old school Bollywood DVDs (pre-year 2000).

I'm always entertained by the awfully translated English subtitles on a Chinese DVD versus a Bollywood DVD. Both have painfully bad grammar - the only difference is that Indians love to throw in complex words into their poor English. At least, Chinese keep the bad English subtitles simple. But I'm just talking about the bad translation jobs. Most new Hong Kong and Bollywood DVDs (post-year 2000) have decent-enough English subtitles.
Old 07-02-09, 11:24 AM

For the hype that the movie had generated before its release, it was almost criminally bad. The pre-release stills and trailers were damn good by Indian standards, but the movie seemed like it was made in a hurry. What a waste of resources !!

For anyone interested in watching Kamal Hassan at his best, you should try Indian (1996) and Hey Ram! (2000). IMO, 'Indian' is by far the best Tamil movie made in the last two decades, while Hey Ram! was under-appreciated in general....but is a classic nevertheless.
Old 07-04-09, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i do agree that when you compare the makeup effects with Hollywood standards it doesn't match up very well and is quite laughable but then again it's all due to budget constraints anyway

but i felt that the story, screenplay and characters held up very well and it was great to see how all the characters related to each other.

perhaps i am among the minority but i felt DASAVATHARAM will hold up to repeated viewings.

and i do believe that Kamal is perhaps the only one in South Indian cinema who can actually pull off something like this.

on a related note, i highly recommend Indian and Hey Ram plus Nayagan to see what this versatile actor is capable of.

Hey Ram is a very good example of a very good movie which didn't fare well at the box office but stands proud among the actor's works.
Old 07-05-09, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood View Post
i do agree that when you compare the makeup effects with Hollywood standards it doesn't match up very well and is quite laughable but then again it's all due to budget constraints anyway

but i felt that the story, screenplay and characters held up very well and it was great to see how all the characters related to each other.

perhaps i am among the minority but i felt DASAVATHARAM will hold up to repeated viewings.

and i do believe that Kamal is perhaps the only one in South Indian cinema who can actually pull off something like this.

on a related note, i highly recommend Indian and Hey Ram plus Nayagan to see what this versatile actor is capable of.

Hey Ram is a very good example of a very good movie which didn't fare well at the box office but stands proud among the actor's works.
very generous of you to offer it a repeat viewing...do you by any chance know where I can buy the out-of-print anamorphic version of Hey Ram? I have the unwatchable Ultra version...