International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Region Free DVD (Help)!

Old 12-28-08, 07:06 PM

Region Free DVD (Help)!

Hi Folks,

I purchased (about a year ago), an LG Region Free DVD recorder. It worked fine for about the first 3 months, then I had to return it, because it failed to recognize any DVD's. The second model arrived, and now I am having the same problem again. I purchased it from a seller on Ebay.

I don't suspect that this is the seller's fault - I think the model I bought has a pretty cheap drive mechanism to begin with. At any rate, I'm in the market for another region free (with NTSC/PAL/SECAM converter and Dolby/DTS) DVD player (I'm not looking for a DVD recorder this time. I just really want a solid player from a reputable seller. Anyone have any suggestions? My apologies if this info is posted in other places in this forum.

Any help appreciated.
Old 12-29-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I highly recommend an Oppo region free player, and I think most people would tell you that too. I have the DV-981HD and it is great, never had a problem with it. I am waiting to buy Oppo's multi-region blu-ray player which they will release in 2009.
Old 12-29-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any speculation on the pricing on the pending Oppo multi-region/BR player, Jaymole? I believe the lowest price point on players with both capabilities has been around $500 - but they normally run $600+.
Old 12-29-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by visitor Q View Post
Any speculation on the pricing on the pending Oppo multi-region/BR player, Jaymole? I believe the lowest price point on players with both capabilities has been around $500 - but they normally run $600+.
There is no indication that the new Oppo BD player will be region-free. Quite the contrary, early reports reveal that it is a region-locked machine. Unless the company provides a solution later on, I believe that the Oppo will street as a standard BD region-player.

Pro-B
Old 12-29-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is no indication that the new Oppo BD player will be region-free. Quite the contrary, early reports reveal that it is a region-locked machine. Unless the company provides a solution later on, I believe that the Oppo will street as a standard BD region-player.
That is very disappointing to hear

Are there any good region-free Blu-ray players on the market?