Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Russia's ADMIRAL DVD now available with English subtitles!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Russia's ADMIRAL DVD now available with English subtitles!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Russia's ADMIRAL DVD now available with English subtitles!

Artpopdvd.com has the "official" Russian dvd! The DVD I have is the DVD 5 version which is of good quality too, but the "official" DVD is a DVD 9 which is anamorphic, DD 5.1/DTS, English subtitles as well.

Last edited by toddly6666; 01-28-09 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-29-09, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by flixtime
Now available - though a little more expensive - from artpopdvd.
Thatīs the version to get - an itīs an Authentic/Genuine release.

However, this cover is far from looking like a "superbit" cover, which has been mentioned in here.

Originally Posted by flixtime
Still backordered at russiandvd.
Thatīs a Bootleg DVD according to a thread on Imdb.

Last edited by Dane; 01-29-09 at 06:57 AM.
Old 01-29-09, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Artpopdvd.com has the "official" Russian dvd! The DVD I have is the DVD 5 version which is of good quality too, but the "official" DVD is a DVD 9 which is anamorphic, DD 5.1/DTS, English subtitles as well.
Hmm, earlier you said yours were a DVD9 DTS. Now, itīs suddenly a DVD5 (which doesnīt have DTS).

Sorry, but Iīm questioning your reliabilty regarding specifications about this release.
Old 01-29-09, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dane
Hmm, earlier you said yours were a DVD9 DTS. Now, itīs suddenly a DVD5 (which doesnīt have DTS).

Sorry, but Iīm questioning your reliabilty regarding specifications about this release.
On my DVD version, I discovered it lists DVD5 on the back cover, as well as DVD9. If it was a 2-disk version, I would have assumed that DVD9 applies to the movie and the DVD5 applies to the second disk. So, I'm just going to give it the benefit-of-doubt that it's probably a DVD 5, since it's an "official" copy (still an excellent quality DVD 5 though - looks as good as a DVD 9). I don't understand Russian, so i'm assuming they print anything they want on the DVD back cover. I know tons of Russian DVDs that list "english subtitles" on the back, but don't actually have them...Both versions have DTS. I have explained in the past, Russian DVDs are tricky - there are "official" bootlegs and there are "official" official DVDs. The laws and regulations in the Russian DVD world are screwy. So let me clarify these two versions:

Russiandvd.com:
Superbit cover, "official" copy version, Anamorphic (interlaced), DD 5.1/DTS Russian, English subtitles

Artpopdvd.com:
Regular "official" DVD version, Anamorphic (progressive), DD 5.1/DTS Russian, English subtitles, + CD

And I think there is third version that is an "official" Russian version that doesn't carry English subtitles.

Dane, I go through this problem everytime a big Russian movie comes out (Barber of Siberia, Night Watch, Day Watch, 9th Company, Master and Margarita). It drives me nuts!

Either way, artpopdvd.com doesn't carry bootlegs (unlike Russiandvd.com), so that should make it easy to decide.

Last edited by toddly6666; 01-29-09 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-29-09, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Dane, I go through this problem everytime a big Russian movie comes out (Barber of Siberia, Night Watch, Day Watch, 9th Company, Master and Margarita). It drives me nuts!

Either way, artpopdvd.com doesn't carry bootlegs (unlike Russiandvd.com), so that should make it easy to decide.
Thanks, for clarifying. Iīll stick with Artpopdvd. They are on eBay as well.

I learned through a very detailed thread on Imdb that Russiandvd.com sells bootlegs. The prices might seem cheaper than others. However, you never what youīre gonna get.

Also, in a very detailed thread on Imdb explains the very tough restrictions on exporting DVD and other media outside Russia, which makes it very hard for us to obtain a genuine Russian DVD.
Old 03-06-09, 08:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

If anyone is interested, I noticed that this version is available on Amazon cheap ($8.95). Put the Amazon # "B001QOZYRS" into their search box. I bought it locally at Sembawang Music here in Singapore for somewhat more. Its a good movie. Pacing is a bit off, but acting and production values are very nice. Cheers! Leong
Old 03-08-09, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Took the plunge and ordered it through HKFlix for $12.95 + shipping

According the info on HKFlix itīs ALL REGION with English subtitles and DTS.

Nice DIGIPAK as well.

Last edited by Dane; 03-16-09 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-18-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watched this a short time back but didn't get around to posting. Despite a couple of significant flaws, I enjoyed it. The lifted-from-TITANIC framing device was rather useless. Also the romance didn't work for me at all, and I didn't really find much interesting about the lead female character. I thought the CGI in the opening naval battle was weak but once I realized the movie was not going to be about battles at sea, I find it easy to bypass that specific criticism. What made the movie a success for me was that, being unfamiliar with the character Admiral Aleksandr Kolchak, I found it very interesting from a historical/biopic perspective. I do realize this is history tailored for a big commercial film, but as such it was quite engaging and it did kindle enough interest that, after watching the movie, I did some 'net-surfing research on the man and that time period. Looking back I wish they had dumped the TITANIC-like bookends and also veered away from making it a historical romance, and instead focused more time and added more depth to the actual history of the tale. As toddly mentioned, with a lot of historical ground to cover, the movie does move quickly from historical footnote to historical footnote. It does lend the story an epic feel but I would like to have seen that aspect given much more room to breath by maybe cutting the romance and adding bulk to the political/historical side of things. Thereby the romance is no longer the foundation of the film. That time of the Russian Revolution is quite an intriguing period so maybe instead of a 110-minute romance/biopic, it would have been captivating to see maybe a 135-minute historical/political/war/biopic epic instead.