International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Restored Edition of "Lola Montes": 2/23/09 (UK)

Old 12-05-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Restored Edition of "Lola Montes": 2/23/09 (UK)

Like Wise Blood, this is a Second Sight release. Extras include: Documentary on the Making of the Lola Montes and Commentary by Susan White, author of 'The Cinema of Max Ophuls'. RRP: 19.99 Pre-order from MovieMail.
Old 12-06-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The restored version was screened at this year's NY FIlm Festival, and then had a short NYC theatrical run - that's almost always a run-up to a new Region 1 release, especially since the Fox/Lorber is now o.o.p. What (if any) of the UK extras will carry over is, of course, something to consider.
Old 12-06-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by marty888 View Post
The restored version was screened at this year's NY FIlm Festival, and then had a short NYC theatrical run - that's almost always a run-up to a new Region 1 release, especially since the Fox/Lorber is now o.o.p. What (if any) of the UK extras will carry over is, of course, something to consider.
We're definitely going to get a Criterion Ophuls box set some time next year, with this, Earrings..., Le Plaisir, and Le Ronde.
Old 12-09-08, 01:52 AM

The only one i have yet to get hold of is La ronde, since I was able to find R1 Lola Montes on secondspin. I put it on the shelf next to Fassbinder's Lola (j/k).
Old 12-09-08, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
We're definitely going to get a Criterion Ophuls box set some time next year, with this, Earrings..., Le Plaisir, and Le Ronde.

yes, I'm have my fingers crossed that Criterion will release this on bluray, the 35mm print I saw at Landmark's E Street looked fantastic. The article in American Cinematographer noted that the even though the film's 2.55 image was retained, it was projected in the theatres at 2.35 with the wider image nestled in the 2.35 confines, minor black borders above and below the image (at E. Street the image looked smileboxed, i.e "How the West was Won" on bluray but not that severe)
Old 12-09-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Giles, if you're a Ophuls fan, Second Sight's R2 edition of Caught, with commentary track, is only 11.99 from Amazon right now, before VAT removal.
Old 05-17-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Restored Edition of "Lola Montes": 2/23/09 (UK)

Release date is now 7/6.
Old 07-18-09, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Restored Edition of "Lola Montes": 2/23/09 (UK)

DVD Times
DVD Outsider