DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Ichikawa films from MoC in February (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/545145-ichikawa-films-moc-february.html)

NoirFan 12-05-08 04:44 PM

Ichikawa films from MoC in February

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...koro-72dpi.jpg

Brimful with brooding psychological torment, Kokoro is vintage Kon Ichikawa (An Actor's Revenge, The Burmese Harp, Tokyo Olympiad). Based on a novel by celebrated Japanese author Natsume Soseki, the director foregrounds its mthemes of individual isolation and social estrangement, most notably in a central protagonist stricken by existential demons and stranded by changing times.

Why does Nobuchi (Masayuki Mori) visit the grave of his old friend Kaji (Tatsuya Mihashi)? Why is he so secretive with his wife Shizu (Michiyo Aratama)? And how does Nobuchi's friendship with the young student Hioki (Shoji Yasui) - for whom the older man acts as reluctant sensei - relate to his time with Kaji? As the Meiji Era draws to a close with the emperor's death and the suicide of General Nogi, a fateful tale of tainted love, failed friendship, and redemptive honour unravels with tragic consequences.

Though sometimes overlooked in the director's impressive oeuvre, Ichikawa's profoundly beautiful rendering of Soseki's novel is a considerable work of cinema in its own right. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Kokoro for home viewing in the UK for the very first time.

Special Features:

- 48-page booklet with archival publicity stills
- A newly written essay by Tony Rayns
- Extended interview with Kon Ichikawa by Yuki Mori
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...ross-72dpi.jpg

A powerful hymn to the human spirit, Alone Across the Pacific - by renowned Japanese director Kon Ichikawa (An Actor's Revenge, The Burmese Harp, Tokyo Olympiad) - tells the extraordinary real-life story of one man's obsessive quest to break free from the strictures of society.

In 1962, Kenichi Horie (Yujiro Ishihara) embarks on a heroic attempt to sail single-handed across the Pacific Ocean. Leaving Osaka in an ill-prepared vessel - The Mermaid - the young adventurer must overcome the most savage of seas, the psychological torment of cabin fever, and his mental and physical breaking point, if he is ever to reach the fabled destination of San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge.

Using Horie's best-selling logbook as his source, Ichikawa portrays the epic struggle of man against nature. 'Scope cinematography - with Horie isolated in the oceanic expanse of the frame - and a score by celebrated composer Toru Takemitsu, add to the drama of a film for which Ichikawa received a Golden Globe nomination, among other accolades. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Alone Across the Pacific for home viewing in the UK for the very first time.

Special Features

- Original Japanese Trailer
- Two teaser trailers
- Lavish 24-page booklet featuring a colour reproduction of the original Japanese poster, archival publicity stills, and an essay by Brent Kliewer (Film Professor and curator of The Screen, Santa Fe, New Mexico)

NoirFan 12-09-08 05:14 PM

Specs and synopsis added.

NoirFan 12-10-08 08:02 PM

Amazon pre-orders are currently 27% off, but sure to drop to 40% eventually.

Alone Across the Pacific

Kokuro

NoirFan 12-14-08 03:27 PM

From DVD Times:

The third title will be The Burmese Harp, release date TBC.
Too bad - I was hoping all three films would be previously unreleased.

NoirFan 01-18-09 01:47 PM

Re: Ichikawa films from MoC in February

DVD Beaver on Kokoro

dmkb 01-18-09 09:52 PM

That was an early review - looks good too. I was disappointed to read it was a single layer transfer until I saw those captures.

I'm even more excited by the prospect of Alone Across the Pacific.

Gypo66 01-19-09 05:40 AM

Curious how little the Beaver reviewer actually manages to say about the film itself. I'd love a more detailed critique of Kokoro.

NoirFan 01-19-09 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Gypo66 (Post 9208255)
Curious how little the Beaver reviewer actually manages to say about the film itself. I'd love a more detailed critique of Kokoro.

Most of DVD Beaver's reviews are like that - they focus primarily on transfer quality, technical aspects and screenshot comparisons, with little analysis of the film itself.

NoirFan 01-19-09 06:12 PM

DVD Beaver on Alone Across the Pacific

NoirFan 02-17-09 04:46 PM

DVD Times on Kokuro

NoirFan 02-20-09 04:40 PM

DVD Times on Alone Across the Pacific

Gypo66 02-20-09 04:52 PM

Not many encouraging words re Kokoro. Any fans out there?