DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Brief Encounter (David Lean) BD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/545025-brief-encounter-david-lean-bd.html)

pro-bassoonist 12-04-08 03:45 AM

Brief Encounter (David Lean) BD

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8...counterzw2.jpg

ITV-Granada are set to release David Lean's classic Brief Encounter (1945) on February 9th in the United Kingdom.

BBC:

Forget what you've heard. "Brief Encounter" is an extremely violent film. In fact, it is a violence that no Tarantino or Guy Ritchie could ever come close to. Celia Johnson, as its heroine, Laura, says as much herself: "I've fallen in love. I'm an ordinary woman. I didn't think such violent things could happen to ordinary people."

One of the first British films to have praise heaped on it abroad, it is shot in noirish black and white to the music of Rachmaninov. David Lean ably directed Noel Coward's script for this intensely passionate film in which almost nothing happens. In short, Laura gets a piece of grit in her eye (those beastly trains!) and falls desperately in love with the kind stranger (Trevor Howard) who removes it. Romance follows over a series of chance, then planned, meetings all given drama by the emphasis on their brevity.

It is told in flashback in an imaginary confession to her husband (Cyril Raymond) whom she dares not tell out of profound compassion. Without the insight her narration gives we would perhaps see nothing at all in the railway station buffet where both Stanley Holloway and Joyce Carey remind us of the invasive triviality of the everyday with a suspicious intimation that the lower classes have no emotional life.

If you can stomach this and the excruciatingly affected portrayal of the English middle classes, you'll have, at the very least, a lump in your throat. Less cynical souls will weep buckets.
Pro-B

ian959 12-04-08 07:13 AM

Straight to the top of my must buy list, no matter the cost!

samper 12-04-08 07:29 AM

Right behind you ian959.

pro-bassoonist 12-04-08 12:49 PM

http://www.bfi.org.uk/about/news/200...n-project.html

The David Lean Film Restoration

All film restorations require collaboration, but the David Lean Film Restoration Project partnership is a model for how this kind of collaboration can most profoundly affect film heritage.

The David Lean Foundation, whose resources come directly from the revenue the films of David Lean still generate, sponsored the restoration of eleven of the sixteen films that David Lean directed. The BFI undertook the technical side of the restoration of ten of these titles, working with Granada International and Studiocanal.

The BFI National Archive in Berkhamsted is now the permanent home of the preservation elements resulting from the restoration work. The restored films will be the basis of all distributed elements in the future, ensuring that every audience everywhere will see the restored version of each film.

The overall technical approach to the project, led by Andrea Kalas, Senior Preservation Manager of the Archive Film Lab, was to find the best surviving material on each title and restore and preserve each film using the best methods available. For 8 of the films this involved collaboration with Granada International's Perivale archive and working with the technical team headed by Fiona Maxwell, Director of Operations and Servicing. As quality considerations focus mainly on elements duplicated from an original, each element was inspected for quality and condition. Dirt and scratches can be printed in, and focus and fluctuation issues in the image can also occur. Condition issues can include signs of deterioration, mould, and most often the effects of usage.

Original camera negatives of many of the films were badly damaged: with scratches, frames missing, tears, even one important original negative entirely missing. Elements from both the BFI and Granada International archives were viewed and compared to find the best materials to work from.

The next stage was to decide how and where to complete the restoration which needed specialized equipment and expertise. Archival film is often fragile and in need of printers and scanners that have been optimized for this purpose, and the knowledge of the experts who are restoring the films is crucial. The ability to ensure that Guy Green's black and white cinematography is brought back to life with utmost care is the ability to understand how to effectively reproduce sharpness, contrast and the greyscale range. To ensure that the Blithe Spirit is a shade of green that looks ghostly and not cartoonish, requires an understanding of the Technicolor process and how to replicate that in modern film stocks.

The ten films were restored by one of three standard film restoration processes: Photochemical, Digital Sections and Full Digital Intermediate. Each film also had digital audio restoration. Although the Archive Film Lab at the BFI National Archive was the main facility for the restoration work, other film labs such as Cineric in New York were used for additional specialized work. Following the photo-chemical work, Granada International remastered their films to High Definition with full digital picture and sound restoration.
Pro-B

NoirFan 12-04-08 04:41 PM

Wonderful news! Brief Encounter is one of my all time favorites. With every one of these R2 announcements, I inch closer and closer to purchasing a region-free Blu-ray player.

Dragonslayer 01-31-09 03:07 PM

Re: Brief Encounter (David Lean) BD

What is the region code for UK BD release? Or is it region free? Thanks.

islandclaws 02-02-09 03:12 PM

I recall reading that this will be a Region B disc. Sigh...

Dragonslayer 02-02-09 06:34 PM

Double Sigh!.....

pro-bassoonist 02-02-09 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 9240180)
I recall reading that this will be a Region B disc. Sigh...

I am not aware of any such announcements, or indirect statements.

Edit: You were right. We received the disc today, and even though I was not aware of the comments you reffed the disc is indeed Region-B locked.

Pro-B

Cosmic Bus 02-03-09 08:25 PM

Could the BFI supplying the new transfer have affected the region coding? I know ITV has never released anything but region-free Blu-rays, but BFI's discs are coded. Hopefully it's not the start of a trend for ITV's own releases, since they continue to put out a lot of interesting films.

Dan Average 02-03-09 11:08 PM

That seems unlikely, since Salo and Red Desert were only region-locked at the insistence of the licensor -- the BFI has said their titles will be region-free whenever it's up to them (for example, the upcoming Jeff Keen set), so I doubt they would force region-locking on another company. Brief Encounter is at least partially controlled by Studio Canal and I suspect it's they who imposed the regional restriction -- many (but not all) of Optimum's Canal licenses are also Region B, as are many of Canal's own releases in France.

NoirFan 02-04-09 06:05 PM

DVD Beaver

Doesn't look all that spectacular. I'll just wait for the eventual Criterion Blu-ray.

PopcornTreeCt 02-05-09 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 9245483)
DVD Beaver

Doesn't look all that spectacular. I'll just wait for the eventual Criterion Blu-ray.

Sucks that it's region locked.