DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   PROFONDO ROSSO (DEEP RED) Ultimate Edition - 2 DISC from AWE (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/543397-profondo-rosso-deep-red-ultimate-edition-2-disc-awe.html)

profondo rossi 11-10-08 10:01 AM

PROFONDO ROSSO (DEEP RED) Ultimate Edition - 2 DISC from AWE

The Italian horror classic PROFONDO ROSSO (1975) - better known as DEEP RED - has finally been released as an ULTIMATE double-disc version by Another World Entertainment

This wonderful disc of Dario Argento's classic masterpiece includes these splendid features:

DISC 1:
Long uncut Italian Director’s cut version (126 min):
Audio: Italian Dolby Digital 2.0 & 5.1 English Dolby Digital 2.0 (including English subtitles during Italian spoken scenes)
English Audio commentary by Danish Argento-expert and film director Thomas Rostock, who also supervised the making of the DVD.

Compared to other versions this truly is the ultimate version:
----------------------------------------------------------
Picture: is digital remastered. Using the MTI Digital Restoration System, thousands of instances of dirt, debris and scratches has been removed from the picture.
Credits: The original Italian credits have been restored to the start and end of the film as was their original intent.
Sound: Audio restoration tools has been used to reduce clicks, pops, hiss and crackle from the 2.0 and 5.1 soundtracks. Additionally the musical score has been corrected according to the director’s original intent for the beginning and end credit sequences.

DISC 2:
English language international export version (105 min):
Audio: English Dolby Digital 2.0 & 5.1

Compared to other versions this truly is also the ultimate version:
--------------------------------------------------------------
For many years the “shorter” International export version of PROFONDO ROSSO – better known as DEEP RED – has been a much coveted favorite of many Argento-fans, but very hard to come by in its full length. Here is finally the chance to view this complete and rarely seen cut with it’s full English dubbed language soundtrack!

Format: For the first time ever on DVD this version is restored and presented in its original Techniscope aspect ratio of 2,35:1.
Credits: The original English credits used for this version have been restored to the start and end of the film.

DISC 2 also includes the following extras:
“An Eye for Horror” (Argento-Documentary in English) - 60 min.
Italian and American trailers
Biographies in English for David Hemmings and Dario Argento
Filmographies
Trivia
Huge slideshow (lobby cards, posters, artwork, press material etc.)
4-page booklet in Danish with liner notes by Thomas Rostock
Technical Specifications:
-----------------------
Transfer:
16:9 Anamorphic widescreen (2.35:1 ratio)

System:
PAL

Region:
Region 2

Year:

Languages:
English
Italian

Subtitles:
Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish

You can catch a glimpse of the cover of this new release at these online shops:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
absurd-online.dk, axelmusic.dk, fabpress.com, cdwow.com and diabolikdvd.com

Stefan Andersson 11-11-08 04:13 AM

Hi profondo rossi! Welcome to the forum!
Is the AWE transfer a new one or the same as the Anchor Bay? How does the end shot look? When David Hemmings looks in the pool of blood, we´re supposed to see him making faces or something, right? But rumour has it this scene is a still frame on the AB disc(s).
Much obliged for any info!
Stefan Andersson

profondo rossi 11-11-08 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Stefan Andersson (Post 9064795)
Hi profondo rossi! Welcome to the forum!
Is the AWE transfer a new one or the same as the Anchor Bay? How does the end shot look? When David Hemmings looks in the pool of blood, we´re supposed to see him making faces or something, right? But rumour has it this scene is a still frame on the AB disc(s).
Much obliged for any info!
Stefan Andersson

Thanks, Stefan. The AWE transfer has been taken from a new and improved Italian master that utilises the MTI Digital Restoration System to remove thousands of instances of dirt, debris and scratches from the picture. It's a
digitally remastering tool that companies like Criterion and Warner also use to clean their transfers of older films with. Likewise the sound is vastly superior on this release, also being restored to register a smoother and fuller quality than previous releases.

Both the credits on the original Italian version AND the English international version have been restored and the end credits now shows David Hemming's face in full motion during the roll of the credit as was the original intent of the filmmakers. Sadly both the Anchor Bay and Blue Underground DVDs frose the last image in order to put English credits over them. No such tampering here: Absolutely no freeze-framing in sight!

Hope this helps, Stefan. I have seen a lot of versions of this film over the years and I can positively say that this AWE transfer beats them all. It is a beauty to behold!

flixtime 11-11-08 12:24 PM

I've only seen the longer cut in which I think the comedy segments really hurt the film. I have a feeling this might be a case where I'd actually prefer the shorter International version.

Thanks for sharing the news, and welcome to the forum. This is exactly the type of DVD release that would usually slip under my radar given that Xploited is no longer adding new items to their catalog. To help fill the e-tailer void, I hope an outfit like HKFlix gets on-board and starts carrying these type of releases.

Giles 11-11-08 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by profondo rossi (Post 9065420)
Thanks, Stefan. The AWE transfer has been taken from a new and improved Italian master that utilises the MTI Digital Restoration System to remove thousands of instances of dirt, debris and scratches from the picture. It's a digitally remastering tool that companies like Criterion and Warner also use to clean their transfers of older films with. Likewise the sound is vastly superior on this release, also being restored to register a smoother and fuller quality than previous releases.

Both the credits on the original Italian version AND the English international version have been restored and the end credits now shows David Hemming's face in full motion during the roll of the credit as was the original intent of the filmmakers. Sadly both the Anchor Bay and Blue Underground DVDs frose the last image in order to put English credits over them. No such tampering here: Absolutely no freeze-framing in sight!

Hope this helps, Stefan. I have seen a lot of versions of this film over the years and I can positively say that this AWE transfer beats them all. It is a beauty to behold!

it's that restoration process, that has me itchin' for a hidef (blu-ray) release.

Dane 11-11-08 03:30 PM

The Danish new 2-Disc release is NTSC -> PAL taken from Anchor Bay. However, it´s been color corrected and re-mastered ...bust suffers from "Ghosting"

Another World Entertainment - Region 2 (Denmark)
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/4180/pf2expzk6.jpg

Blue Underground/Anchor Bay - Region 1
http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/4364/deepred2cn6.jpg

profondo rossi 11-12-08 09:40 AM

Eye of the beholder...

Well, color me tickled-pink, Dane. That is some impressive screengrab propaganda that you have on display there. Just one question: If the AWE transfer is taken from the Anchor Bay/BU disc, how come we get to see these beautiful end title credits finally in motion, like this...

http://img.mailchimp.com/2008/11/08/fd5b77c3b8/pr_1.jpg

http://img.mailchimp.com/2008/11/08/44a3c92b3b/pr_2.jpg

Perhaps you would be good enough to post some screengrabs of the end titles sequence from either the AB or the BU DVD to support your claim. I suspect you find the endeavour an altogether disappointing one...

No, the AWE transfer is a new one and does not suffer from the horrible, horrible Edge Enhancement that mares in particular the Blue Underground disc. There is definitely a unhealthy reason for the BU disc turning up with a slightly sharper look on these incresingly unreliable screengrabs and that reason is the EE buton being turned way up! Trust me, when you compare the new AWE and the old BU on a 42-inch HD TV or shot from a video-projector unto a bigger screen (and I have done both) the AWE comes out the clear winner. It is richer in color and clarity, while the BU transfer positively anemic and besides the damaging EE also suffers seriously from dirt and scratches polluting its image. The new AWE transfer by far is the best presentation of PROFONDO ROSSO that we have so far. To be experienced live and in motion and on a good sized TV and/or Screen....

profondo rossi 11-12-08 09:50 AM

AWE's PROFONDO ROSSO cover

Ah, forgot to post what the Another World Entertainment cover looks like. So here it is without further ado:

http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/9...p3_forside.jpg

"Mordets Melodi" is the Danish title, roughly translating as "Melody of Murder". Have no idea who thought that one up...

Dane 11-15-08 10:25 AM

I´m not wrong about my claim. However, I only have the R1 from Anchor Bay - not the new Danish release.

Translate the following page and judge it yourself. One of the forum member has been in direct contact with AWE asking about the transfer. As I´ve said, the new Danish DVD is a NTSC to Pal transfer.

http://www.dahf.dk/viewtopic.php?f=1...ofondo#p432976

cracksky 11-26-08 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by profondo rossi (Post 9062590)
Compared to other versions this truly is the ultimate version:

Sorry. Not for me. My preferred viewing experience of this film is to watch the complete version with the original Italian audio track in 1.0 Mono with English subtitles throughout.

Actually, the dream version of this would be actor-specific audio. I think this is doable for dvd's with international casts. If we can control the audio and subtitles for each actor. I would then watch this movie in Italian w/English subs except for David Hemmings which I would listen to in English with no subs. I like his voice and think it adds a lot to the show.

mmyersisgod 11-26-08 10:57 AM

So it's R2 only?

profondo rossi 11-27-08 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by mmyersisgod (Post 9095712)
So it's R2 only?

Yes, I'm afraid it's Region 2 only, so you'll need a multi-region Dvd-player for viewing it.

Takuma Tsurugi 02-14-09 04:44 PM

Re: PROFONDO ROSSO (DEEP RED) Ultimate Edition - 2 DISC from AWE

Interesting topic. I live in Finland and I think it is this edition which is out now. I went to the shops to buy it today but eventually I did not because something put me off and angered me: the lack of English subtitles. I don't understand Finnish or Italian well enough and watching it in Italian is a must. Some Scandinavian companies provide English subtitles while others don't, which is mighty annoying.

I thought I would try to get the French DVD instead which is a 2-disc set as well. However, thanks to this topic, I think I will buy the Scandinavian one. I just hope the motion blur mentioned previously, real or not, is not too serious. I searched for more feedback about the French DVD and found out it didn't have the two cuts and it was plagued by numerous defects. It comes with a 80-page booklet and the second disc has French-specific bonuses.

Anyway, what convinced me to get the Scandinavian DVD: the two cuts, An Eye for Horror (I didn't know it was included! They used to sell it separately here before), the high-quality if what you say is true, and the low price (only 9 euros). Also the Finnish cover is better than the Danish one, less cheesy, more like the French one.

I'll just have to brush up my Italian or stand it in English. How is the English dubbing? Is it better than Tenebrae?

Weikko 10-31-09 03:38 PM

I just bought the Finnish DVD yesterday. Audio is great (Goblin soundtrack has never sounded this crisp), and I like the original Italian credits at start & end of the flick.

But... IMO the video of R0 Anchor Bay version is remarkably better. While debris etc. has been removed from the The Finnish DVD version, at the same time the transfer is too soft and it sure suffers from a bad case of ghosting!

This makes the choice very hard for me :confused: - in this movie the soundtrack plays an important part, while I also would like to see sharp enough pic with NO ghosting (I really don't care if there is debris, scratches etc).

Great flick, one of my favourites!

---

Added:
I found a comparison where you can see the softness of the Danish transfer (which should be exactly the same as the Finnish one) - and the reviewer has also mentioned ghosting. As a new DVDTalk user I am not allowed to post links to external sites but try searching Google for "land of whimsy profondo rosso comparison anchor bay awe" and you will find the comparison...

Dane 10-31-09 05:53 PM

As I´ve stated previously -The new Region 2 AWE version from Denmark is terrible! Besides it doesn´t offer any English subtitles!! (a rights issue)

The Anchor Bay is still the best version available ...according to several reviews.

Lutz 11-01-09 12:12 AM

People always go on about the closing credits on Deep Red but I would kill for a DVD that has the original opening credits to Daughters of Darkness with Delphine Seyrig singing.

profondo rossi 11-22-09 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dane (Post 9808003)
As I´ve stated previously -The new Region 2 AWE version from Denmark is terrible! Besides it doesn´t offer any English subtitles!! (a rights issue)

The Anchor Bay is still the best version available ...according to several reviews.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But these are the simple facts: The AWE 2 disc set actually offers English subtitles for the longer Italian version whenever the Italian dialogue scenes are spoken (just like the US Blue Underground single disc) and additionally contains the shorter International version (105 min) with it's entire English dialogue intact on a separate disc. To state otherwise must be considered pure ignorance of content or simple personal malice.

Trout 11-22-09 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by profondo rossi (Post 9849276)
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But these are the simple facts: The AWE 2 disc set actually offers English subtitles for the longer Italian version whenever the Italian dialogue scenes are spoken (just like the US Blue Underground single disc) and additionally contains the shorter International version (105 min) with it's entire English dialogue intact on a separate disc. To state otherwise must be considered pure ignorance of content or simple personal malice.

You don't happen to work for AWE do you?

profondo rossi 11-23-09 04:51 AM

Not really, I just happen to own a copy of the AWE DVD and can judge the disc first-hand on it's actual content. I much prefer that kind of information than just slagging off a release with unsubstantiated criticism based on second-hand sources. In the above Dane even admits he doesn't own a copy of the disc, so how can he proclaim it doesn't have ANY English subtitles? That doesn't make sense to me. All I can reiterate is the simple fact that AWE's PROFONDO ROSSO DO carry supportive English subtitles and I would hate to think that a lot of people might miss out on a great, inexpensive 2 disc DVD because of such a rash and ill-informed statement.

Dane 11-23-09 08:03 AM

First of all, it´s NOT my claim. My posts are based on substantiated facts through a thorough and trusted review, who has the expertise and knowledge. I would rather rely on an expert opnion than that of a common member like profondo rossi who sounds like a marketing employee from AWE.

Read more here and judge for yourself: http://whiggles.landofwhimsy.com/arc...d_impress.html

The definitive version has yet to be seen!!

DirkUSA 11-23-09 08:48 AM

Ok, here is my question. Are there English subtitles if you watch the Italian longer cut of the film in Italian? According to what I found there are none. So, what's the story.

profondo rossi 11-23-09 12:24 PM

Dane, you really do have to read your own postings. Scroll down to the very bottom of the comments and you'll find Michael Mackenzie's correction of his own error concerning the English subtitles. It reads:

"13.
Re: comment #6:

I was, it seems, mistaken. In fact, there are English subtitles for the scenes that are only available in Italian. The option just isn’t accessible from the menu, so you’ll need to use the “Subtitle” button on your remote. This certainly makes the disc much more viable for watching the film predominantly in English, although it still means that watching it entirely in Italian isn’t really an option unless you speak the language."

I hate to correct Michael further, but the English subtitle option is actually fully accessible from the SET UP menu. Here you'll find a choice to see the full Italian version in English Dolby 2.0. Press this option and it will take you to title card with a short explanation about the missing dubbed Italian dialogue and the supportive English subtitles that will play as default subtitles once you proceed further with this option.

This is just one of the many advantages of having your own copy of the disc and I do so heartily recommend it, Dane. It certainly beats the living hell out of aggrevated grandstanding and the eternal wait for that ever illusive 4K home video version of PROFONDO ROSSO. ;-)

DirkUSA 11-23-09 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by profondo rossi (Post 9851458)
Dane, you really do have to read your own postings. Scroll down to the very bottom of the comments and you'll find Michael Mackenzie's correction of his own error concerning the English subtitles. It reads:

"13.
Re: comment #6:

I was, it seems, mistaken. In fact, there are English subtitles for the scenes that are only available in Italian. The option just isn’t accessible from the menu, so you’ll need to use the “Subtitle” button on your remote. This certainly makes the disc much more viable for watching the film predominantly in English, although it still means that watching it entirely in Italian isn’t really an option unless you speak the language."

I hate to correct Michael further, but the English subtitle option is actually fully accessible from the SET UP menu. Here you'll find a choice to see the full Italian version in English Dolby 2.0. Press this option and it will take you to title card with a short explanation about the missing dubbed Italian dialogue and the supportive English subtitles that will play as default subtitles once you proceed further with this option.

This is just one of the many advantages of having your own copy of the disc and I do so heartily recommend it, Dane. It certainly beats the living hell out of aggrevated grandstanding and the eternal wait for that ever illusive 4K home video version of PROFONDO ROSSO. ;-)

Ok, but there are no English subtitles if you watch the longer Italian cut, correct? Only the missing scenes have subtitles if you watch with the English audio?

cracksky 11-23-09 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by DirkUSA (Post 9851540)
Ok, but there are no English subtitles if you watch the longer Italian cut, correct? Only the missing scenes have subtitles if you watch with the English audio?

You can access the subtitles via the English audio option in the menu but you can't choose the Italian audio with the English subs via the menu. That has to be changed via the remote. Of course, throughout the film, the subs will only come on sporadically. This is why this release is NOT definitive. The English subs need to run throughout the film. I do like this set and recommend it however for having both the extended (126 min.) and export (105 min.) versions as well as an excellent audio commentary from Thomas Rostock. [No, I don't work for AWE!]

profondo rossi 11-24-09 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by cracksky (Post 9851590)
You can access the subtitles via the English audio option in the menu but you can't choose the Italian audio with the English subs via the menu. That has to be changed via the remote. Of course, throughout the film, the subs will only come on sporadically. This is why this release is NOT definitive. The English subs need to run throughout the film. I do like this set and recommend it however for having both the extended (126 min.) and export (105 min.) versions as well as an excellent audio commentary from Thomas Rostock. [No, I don't work for AWE!]

Finally, a good solid informed opinion based on a first hand viewing experience. Thanks for setting us all straight, cracksky :-)