International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Breath (Kim Ki-duk, 2007)

Old 10-23-08, 08:19 PM
Cool New Member

Breath (Kim Ki-duk, 2007)

Kim Ki-duk has a way without words. Another very good film that I highly recommend but the only version I've discovered is from Yesasia.com. I ordered the DVD (not the VCD) and the image quality looked pretty good through my Denon 2930 and external processor. The colors seemed a bit subdued execpt durring the "singing routines", where they were vibrant and jumped off the screen. Detail and contrast were excellent but this is my subjective opinion: I have no way of knowing how it looked in the theatres. I thought the transfer looked better than my R3 version of TIME. If you like his films, I wouldn't wait for an American release.
Old 10-24-08, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Indeed, this is the preferable disc to own. Lifesize also released an official US disc but it is quite poor.

By the way, if you liked Time you should keep an eye on Pen-Ek Ratanaruang's latest: Ploy (2007). I was sent a copy of the French disc through another site and watched it a few weeks ago. It is much stronger than his Invisible Waves and sharing the same moody overtones as Time.

Here's the trailer through Wild Side:
http://www.wildsideproject.com/site/ploy/

It is out in Thailand but the disc isn't English friendly. Our distribs haven't bothered with it yet.

Pro-B
Old 10-24-08, 10:04 AM
Cool New Member

I've seen three other of his films and enjoyed them all! It's a shame that this one isn't English-friendly but I'll keep a lookout for a new release. Thanks Pro-B!