Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

L'Histoire d'Adèle H. (F. Truffaut) - question

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 08-13-08, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having recently watched my UK MGM disc of this a second time, I wonder if someone can clarify something: I've read in several places (i.e. Maltin's Guide) that this film was simultaneously shot in French and English versions. English is not an option on my DVD, but when French is chosen you get the film in a fairly organic mix of French and English (presumably befitting of Nova Scotia in the 1800s). Obviously there are many films with more than one language in them, but what I've read about this film leads me to believe that there are all-French and all-English versions of the film. If so, I was a little surprised that these weren't included on the UK (admittedly pan-European) DVD.
Anyone have any info on this? Out of curiosity, assuming such versions exist, are either on DVD?
Thanks,

Dazza.
Old 08-13-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This is a very interesting question. I personally have never seen another version of this film on VHS or DVD (I am assuming you mean the entire film in English).

Pro-B
Old 08-13-08, 02:31 PM

Hi there Pro-B - that's right. The only version I've seen is the one on my MGM disc where it routinely (and seemingly arbitrarily) switches from English to French and vice versa. This is classed as "French" on the audio setup, but it's actually an option where both Fr & Eng get their fair share. Just wondered if there were indeed versions entirely in one language or the other...

Dazza.
Old 08-13-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I am very busy at the moment with another project and probably won't have too much time to do some research but as I mentioned above Dazza I have never seen another commercially released version of this film. But do I know there was a trend when French producers/directors did go through a phase where they recorded plenty of films entirely in English (M6's recent release of Jacques Deray's La Piscine for example featured an English version of the film which I had never seen prior to their disc) and some of these prints are still around. As seen from the M6 disc they are probably not in top-notch condition but are surely watchable.

Pro-B