DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Catagory III HK Films? (Recommendations) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/532341-catagory-iii-hk-films-recommendations.html)

asianxcore 05-26-08 08:21 PM

Catagory III HK Films? (Recommendations)

Does anyone have any recommendations for Catagory III HK films like Doctor Lamb, Untold Story or Ebola Syndrome.

I've been sleeping on that sudden spurt of gory, sleazy, odd HK films.

logboy 05-27-08 01:16 AM

run and kill, red to kill, story of ricky, eternal evil of Asia?

Tutut 05-27-08 07:45 AM

Naked Killer, Men Behind the Sun ?

asianxcore 05-27-08 05:14 PM

Thanks for the recommendations!

A friend of mine bought a LE set of "Men Behind The Sun" at Fangoria 2008 in Los Angeles. The people running the table only had a handful (Limited to 1,000) and I waited to long that day. Missed out on getting it.

The rest seem cheap enough at Xploited Cinema. I may just blind buy them.

steelpotato 05-27-08 06:17 PM

Eternal Evil of Asia, definitely.

logboy 05-27-08 09:14 PM

prefer to buy direct from HK : dddhouse.com ... much cheaper!

cultshock 05-27-08 10:34 PM

Strongly agree with NAKED KILLER and ETERNAL EVIL OF ASIA. I'd also recommend classics like CHINESE TORTURE CHAMBER STORY, SEX AND ZEN and TAXI HUNTER (I think this one is only currently available on VCD, not DVD). And logboy is right, it's cheaper buying direct from HK, often dirt cheap!

asianxcore 05-27-08 11:25 PM

Thanks for the DDDHouse recommendation. I have never ordered from them before, I probably will with these films.

Great prices!

How are the releases listed on DDDhouse of:

-Run To Kill
-Run and Kill
-Doctor Lamb
-A Chinese Torture Chamber Story

I was reading reviews of the first three and they seem to have small bits and pieces missing from the overall run-time.

With Run To Kill, I was reading that though the film is CATIII, the cut tends to jump. Run and Kill, I read has an odd OAR on the HK release as opposed to the new Austrian version of the film. Doctor Lamb seems to have been mastered from a LD source and I can't find any reviews of the Tai Seng (R1) release of the film.

Any help would be possible, as I'm doing a fairly large order in the next month or so.

Jigen75 05-28-08 01:14 AM

I've watched a fair amount of CATIII stuff. I would recommend:

Ebola Syndrome
Story of Ricky
Seventh Curse
Chinese Torture Chamber
Robotrix
Sex and Zen
Untold Story
Erotic Ghost Story

Its hard to get the HK release of Story of Ricky right now its out of print. The US version is alright but its not anamorphic. I hear that a new US version will be coming at some point from Dragon Dynasty but who knows when that will appear.

If you get Chinese Torture Chamber Story you should get the region 1 US Discotek release. Its got really good picture quality and is anamorphic. The HK release is not anamorphic and the print is beat up. Also the subs are not very good.

Taxi Hunter is not really CAT III theres no nudity but its not bad. Its got Anthony Wong and he is pretty good in it. I would give it a mild recommendation. I think its only on VCD though.

Run and Kill, Red to Kill, and Doctor Lamb didn't do it for me. I thought they were all pretty boring. They seem to get praised a lot but I just didn't like them. But the HK versions are watchable but they have the usual problems, non anamorphic, bad subs, damaged prints.

Tutut 05-28-08 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
A friend of mine bought a LE set of "Men Behind The Sun" at Fangoria 2008 in Los Angeles. The people running the table only had a handful (Limited to 1,000) and I waited to long that day. Missed out on getting it.

The region 1 is on sale at Amazon and the region 2 (dutch release with english subs) at HKFlix.

Tutut 05-28-08 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Doctor Lamb seems to have been mastered from a LD source and I can't find any reviews of the Tai Seng (R1) release of the film.

Don't expect Tai Seng to do some improvements with the image and sound, they take an existing copy from HK.

Tutut 05-28-08 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jigen75
I've watched a fair amount of CATIII stuff. I would recommend:

Ebola Syndrome
Story of Ricky
Seventh Curse
Chinese Torture Chamber
Robotrix :)
Sex and Zen
Untold Story
Erotic Ghost Story

A female Robocop vs a perverse Terminator in a cheap movie. :up:

logboy 05-28-08 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tutut
The region 1 is on sale at Amazon and the region 2 (dutch release with english subs) at HKFlix.

the R1 is generally regarded as a bootleg, from a dodgy company.

I think the Dutch disc - of which there have been several editions - are from Tokyo shock. I have an early one from them ive not watched in years, perfectly good but newer discs may be better.

Tutut 05-28-08 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by logboy
the R1 is generally regarded as a bootleg, from a dodgy company.

Looks like they own the rights for the US.

http://http://www.imdb.com/company/co0081200/

visitor Q 05-28-08 07:28 PM

I just coincidentally picked up the Japan Shock release. Keep in mind because of World Video's distribution rights, the Japan Shock release is listed on HKFlix as not being available to ship into the US market.

The other issue is run time. I'm uncertain if the WV release has been cut. It's run time(s) are 95 mins (amazon) and 101 mins (HKFlix) respectively. The JS release is listed as 104 mins. Speedup at play or something else?

logboy 05-28-08 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tutut
Looks like they own the rights for the US.

http://http://www.imdb.com/company/co0081200/

imdb is often mentioned as faulty, so I wouldn't take it as a sign of anything more than they slipped through the net. one or two such operations regarded as dodgy also regularly appear at retailers such as amazon.

divemaster 06-07-08 08:58 PM

You seem to be in the mood for more of the whacked-out violent Cat III than the fantasy erotic cheesecake Cat III. Be aware that some of the recommendations have been for the latter rather than the former.

One I don't believe mentioned yet that you might like is Raped by an Angel. (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0108609/) It was marketed as "Naked Killer 2" as it also stars Chingmy Yau, but it really has nothing to do with the original (and fantastic) Naked Killer.

The Seventh Curse was mentioned. It's a really crazy B-type movie that I really like a lot, but it's not CAT III.

A Chinese Torture Chamber Story was also mentioned. Please see this. Hear me now and thank me later. It's actually more of an erotic comedy with tinges of light sadism. I wrote a review for it for another website I'm associated with. I'll paste it below. (I also wrote one for The Seventh Curse--let me know if you want that one also.)

Original review of A Chinese Torture Chamber Story -- by divemaster

Don't let the blurb on the back of the DVD case put you off watching this film. It makes it sound like a History Channel documentary for the sadistic.

But what if I told you that after the first 20 minutes or so, "A Chinese Torture Chamber Story" makes a 90 degree turn into the land of comedy and erotica (including slapstick, parody, and sexual hi-jinks)? What if I told you that ACTCS was produced by Jing Wong, the same mind who gave us lesbian assassins in the delightfully over-the-top “Naked Killer”; sexy vengeance in “Raped By an Angel”; erotic fantasy in the “Sex & Zen” sequels, as well as literally hundreds of other highly entertaining films starring the likes of Jet Li, Stephen Chow and Yun-fat Chow, among others?

What if I told you that behind all the Category III spectacle there really is a compelling story with characters you really care about? There is betrayal, intrigue, lust, and adulterous affairs. Also tons of nudity of various sorts (erotic, comedic, some light S&M and bondage, and I guess you can’t have a film like this without some bare-bottom spankings thrown in).

Do I have your interest yet?

ACTCS does start off pretty grim. We are treated to a voice-over explaining the types of torture used to extract confessions out of accused criminals. It seems that during the Ching Dynasty the accepted courtroom protocol was to torture first and ask questions later. Evidently you aren’t allowed to sentence someone without a confession, but there is no limit to what you can do to get that confession. Hence the prodigious use of torture.

Which brings us to our story. Little Cabbage (played by an absolutely fetching Yvonne Yung Hung) is hauled in front of the judge, accused of murdering her husband. The modus operandi? Overdose of aphrodisiac leading to penis explosion. Her supposed accomplice and lover, Scholar Yang Ni-mu (played by Lawrence Ng, he of the infamous transplant gone awry of “Sex & Zen”), also stands accused.

Without going into too much detail, Little Cabbage and Scholar Yang are the victims of a frame-up orchestrated by Scholar Yang’s wife and her lover. The actual story is told in flashback as the details of the case are brought up in court.

We learn that the scholar’s wife first tries to get rid of Little Cabbage (who was their housemaid) by marrying her off to Got Siu-ta, known throughout the countryside as having the largest cock in the land. Getting married to the man from Outer Schlongolia should be enough to kill any woman. But the tables are turned as Lord Uberschwantz turns out to be a pretty nice guy and doesn’t want to hurt poor Little Cabbage. This leads to some frustration on his part and some hilarious scenes as they try to work something out.

Anyway, once the scholar’s wife figures out that Little Cabbage and Phallasaurus Rex are getting along okay, she decides to escalate the plan. So Sifu Hugedong ends up dead, Little Cabbage ends up framed, and it all comes to a head back in the courtroom.

I would be remiss if I did not mention a cameo by Category III staple Elvis Tsui. Words do not do it justice, so suffice it to say we learn that fighting with swords is not the only thing Chinese martial arts/wuxia masters can do flying through the treetops!