Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

[Rec] (Spain) DVD/BR

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

[Rec] (Spain) DVD/BR

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[Rec] (Spain) DVD/BR

An official entry at the Venice International Film Festival and winner of the 2007 Goya Awards for Best Editing (Mejor Montaje)
David Gallart and Best New Actress (Mejor Actriz Revelación)
Manuela Velasco as well The Audience Jury Award at Fantasporto 2008 gore-thriller [Rec] is set to be released on DVD and BR on May 14th in Spain. Disc arrives English friendly, courtesy of Filmax Home Video.

Official site and trailer:
http://www.wildsideproject.com/site/rec/

Variety:
Zombies chomp on a reality TV crew and others in the strictly-by-the-numbers Spanish horror flick "REC," which plays like "Night of the Living Dead" meets "The Blair Witch Project." Co-helmers Jaume Balaguero and Paco Plaza, whose previous efforts also came from Spain's Filmax genre stable, rely entirely on the stale gimmick of filtering action through a video lens. Lazily scripted, without even a pretense of character development or psychological depth, it offers nothing new for genre fans and no reason for mainstream auds to bite. Pic should die a rapid death in Euro hardtops and find an afterlife in ancillary.

Perky TV reporter Angela (Manuela Velasco) and her unseen cameraman Pablo are taping fire department routine for reality series "When You're Asleep," when firemen Manu (Ferran Terraza) and Alex (David Vert) respond to a call about a woman locked in her apartment. Police are already on the scene.

Things turn supernatural after officers break down the door and the woman starts gnawing her would-be rescuers. Although told to shut off their camera, the intrepid reporters record it all on tape. Soon, the entire apartment building is locked down, with residents, reporters and rescuers are trapped inside.

Angela bides the time by interviewing pic's gallery of types. Among the supporting thesps, Carlos Vicente as a doctor and Carlos Lasarte as a vain gay man make the strongest impression.

As more characters fall victim to the flesh-eating disease, lots of running and shaky-cam shots ensue, with Angela narrating hysterically.

Since lensing and sound are meant to be from Pablo's p.o.v., the filmmakers forego such elements as a score or montage, elements that might have provided some much-needed suspense, tension and atmosphere. Tech package and effects are nothing special.

Camera (color), Pablo Rosso; editor, David Gallart; music, Carlos Ann; art director, Gemma Fauria; costume designer, Gloria Viguer Zabala; sound (Dolby Digital) Xavi Mas; assistant director, Fernando Izquierdo; casting, Cristina Campos. Reviewed at Venice Film Festival (Venice Nights), Aug. 29, 2007.
Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 03-26-08, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Great movie! Glad to finally see a dvd release
Old 04-02-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
One of the better horror movies made recently. A must own!!
Old 04-02-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I heard it was kinda crappy, but I still want to see it. Thanks
Old 06-04-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A review on Zonadvd says that the Blu-Ray was made with a 1080i transfer. Could be argued (at least by that reviewer) that television broadcast is interlaced, so it fits the medium in the story, but apparently Filmax in Spain has also released film-based BDs in 1080i as well, including Underworld and Aeon Flux. Not a problem for North American folks, as this REC BD is Region B only, but sucks for Spaniards.

Review of the BD (in Spanish), but be WARNED that there are SPOILER pics:
http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?n...content&id=817

The 2-disc special edition standard-def set has very nice packaging, but also be warned that many of the images on the digipak, insert and discs have SPOILER material as well:
http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?n...icle&artid=844
Old 06-04-08, 10:24 PM

where can i buy that digipack online?
Old 06-04-08, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

^

www.dvdgo.com

Pro-B
Old 06-05-08, 12:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dullboy
A review on Zonadvd says that the Blu-Ray was made with a 1080i transfer. Could be argued (at least by that reviewer) that television broadcast is interlaced, so it fits the medium in the story, but apparently Filmax in Spain has also released film-based BDs in 1080i as well, including Underworld and Aeon Flux.
1080 i or p is pretty irrelevant as it was shot in standard def (probably 576P).

At least thats what it looked like to me when I saw it in the cinema.
Old 06-05-08, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Thanks so much!

i didnt see it have an english site.
Old 06-05-08, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Xploitedcinema has both the 1- and 2-disc sets for REC. I haven't read this thread closely as I'm not interested in the film (I don't like (understatement) watching shakycam films...BLAIR WITCH PROJECT, CLOVERFIELD, DIARY OF THE DEAD, REC, etc.), but I presume this desired digipack packaging is standard for all the 2-disc DVD sets. You can always confirm with xploited before ordering. Also, DVDGO tends to have a Summer sale every year, so if you aren't in a hurry, it might be worth waiting a few weeks for the sale to start.
Old 06-05-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
To its credit, REC is much more "stable" with the camera (it's a news camera), and is more akin to watching an episode of Cops than the home video shakiness of the others mentioned.

Great lil horror flick too.
Old 06-05-08, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Celpacius
where can i buy that digipack online?
You might want to consider buying from Xploited unless you plan on purchasing a few more titles from DvdGo. The shipping is pretty damn expensive to US at 19 Euro (about $30) for 1 to 4 dvds.

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/sp...n-p-14018.html
Old 06-05-08, 09:01 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
is this film getting a US theatrical release - or am I better buying the disc now?
Old 06-05-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Giles
is this film getting a US theatrical release - or am I better buying the disc now?
It's being remade as Quarantine for the US. Not sure the Spanish version will see US release outside of DVD.
Old 06-05-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
Yeah, not certain on a theatrical release here, but I read somewhere that you won't see REC in any form until after Quarantine is out in theaters so as not to ruin the story. IMO, the trailer for Quarantine throws out a shitload of spoilers.
Old 06-05-08, 10:27 AM

got a reply from Tony over at xploited on the bluray edition:

"it is region free, but it's encoded at 1080/50 (PAL resolution) so unless you can play it on a computer or have a multi format tv it probably won't play here in the US"
Old 06-06-08, 12:04 AM

yet Diabolik states differently since it appears they will be selling the bluray

what's the deal here folks - I'm getting conflicting information

??
Old 06-06-08, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Zonadvd review linked above specifically pointed out the Playstation 3 as possibly having problems playing this Blu-Ray, mentioned the 50 hz, and said not to force playback to 24p (fps?). And I'm not sure how Tony verified it was region free, but seeing as how this is a new international film, region-locking it (it is advertised as Region B) is understandable. I wouldn't risk it unless you have a BD drive on your computer and feel that tinkering with the settings might be successful. I predict Diabolik will have quite a few returns on their hands.

Last edited by dullboy; 06-06-08 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-06-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
This is frustrating, more so because it will be a long while before the US release of the film.

I guess we'll see how it plays out, I hope the 1080/50 aspect doesn't become common place.
Old 06-06-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just order the dvd. I got mine in yesterday, and it looks great.
Old 06-07-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

UK will have it released on August 11th
Extras: Making of REC Interview with Cast & Crew Extended Scenes Deleted Scenes Behind The Scenes The Castings The Secret Archives
Old 08-16-08, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just watched it. Great stuff, great DVD too. Although I think they showed too many poiler moments in the menu screens too.
Old 08-25-08, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by manicsounds
Just watched it. Great stuff, great DVD too. Although I think they showed too many poiler moments in the menu screens too.
A review I read said the new UK R2/PAL discs had tons of spoilers in the menus. Unfortunate.

Does anyone have that disc? Is it the same as the Spanish 2-Disc, but with English Subs on the extras disc?
Old 08-25-08, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was talking about the UK disc, the one with many spoiler menus. Many of the extras are replicated, but the commentary is not included, but they do add an English interview with the directors
Old 03-23-09, 12:36 PM
Banned

Re: [Rec] (Spain) DVD/BR

just got the R2 2-disk today....The extras are pretty decent. A 40 minute documentary, about 50 minutes of interviews and about 30 minutes of extended/deleted scenes.
Kinda wish there was a commentary but for less than $10 this is a good purchase.